NCEI netcdf templates for trajectoryProfile

Emilio Mayorga

Mar 12, 2024, 6:24:41 PMMar 12
to ioos...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm involved in a project where we're combining deployments from several Argo-style floats into a single netcdf file using a trajectoryProfile feature type and are trying to follow the current (v2.0) NCEI netcdf templates (https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/oceans/ncei/formats/netcdf/v2.0/index.html), for a regridded product rather than the raw data per se. trajectoryProfile seems to be the least fleshed out of the discrete sampling geometry feature types in the NCEI templates. I'd like to see if others have used this feature type while trying to follow the NCEI templates.

** My question is: for trajectoryProfile, does the NCEI "Orthogonal" case correspond to orthogonal depth and incomplete time, while the "Incomplete" case corresponds to incomplete depth and time?

The timeSeriesProfile and trajectoryProfile feature types both have three dimensions: the "instance" dimension for multiple features, and two "element" dimensions (z and profile, following the terms used in the CF convention user manual). For both feature types, NCEI describes templates for orthogonal and incomplete Multidimensional Array representations. The timeSeriesProfile presentation in "Feature Type Templates and Examples" is pretty comprehensive. It defines a pure orthogonal case, where both z and profile ("time") are orthogonal; a fully incomplete case, where both z and profile ("time") are incomplete; and two mixed cases where either z or profile is incomplete and the other is orthogonal. That makes sense, and it's nicely described in a table, under columns Description and General Ocean Data Examples. The accompanying decision tree diagram also fleshes this out (https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/oceans/ncei/formats/netcdf/v2.0/decision_tree_high_res.pdf).

For trajectoryProfile, only two cases are presented ("Orthogonal" and "Incomplete") and the table barely elaborates these under Description and General Ocean Data Examples. "Orthogonal" is misleading, because in reality it seems to be orthogonal along z *but* incomplete along time / profile. "Incomplete" is incomplete along both dimensions. In addition, we think the diagram has an error in the "Does each profile in the trajectoryProfile collection share the same vertical coordinates?" decision: when true, this should lead to the orthogonal-along-vertical template, but it leads to the incomplete-along-vertical template instead.

** Has anyone confirmed this error in the trajectoryProfile decision box?

I suppose the fully orthogonal and orthogonal time + incomplete z cases may be less common and are omitted for that reason. They do say "Our templates don't try to cover every possibility. We focused on the templates that we felt would cover most situations involving environmental observations, primarily of the ocean." But the scant documentation, misleading "orthogonal" label and possible error in the decision tree diagram makes things confusing.

Thanks! Cheers,
-Emilio

Micah Wengren - NOAA Federal

Mar 13, 2024, 12:16:21 PMMar 13
to ioos...@googlegroups.com, ncei....@noaa.gov
Hi Emilio,

I don't have an answer, but I cc'ed the ncei....@noaa.gov email group in case anyone from that list has thoughts.

There was also discussion within NOAA recently about getting a group of volunteers together to update the NCEI netCDF templates.  I am not sure if that's going forward yet or not.  Resolving questions or issues like this could be part of that effort.

If you were interested in participating, they may want external input as well, potentially.

Since IOOS leverages the NCEI templates, we would also probably want to invite those from our data management community to weigh in as well to make sure any concerns they might have could be addressed.

Micah

Micah Wengren
DMAC System Architect
U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System
https://ioos.noaa.gov/
Santa Cruz, CA
+1 240-533-9441 (o)
+1 202-276-3608 (c)

Emilio Mayorga

Mar 13, 2024, 11:59:32 PMMar 13
to ioos...@googlegroups.com, ncei....@noaa.gov
Hi Micah,

Thanks for the follow up and for forwarding my message to the NCEI netcdf group. I missed that -- even though it's prominent, now that I've looked back at the page.

Cheers,
-Emilio

Emilio Mayorga

Mar 14, 2024, 3:10:07 PMMar 14
to Kenneth Casey - NOAA Federal, ioos...@googlegroups.com, ncei....@noaa.gov, Philip Jones - NOAA Affiliate
Thanks, Ken. Great to hear about this plan for an update to the templates. I doubt I'll have the bandwidth to be involved.

In the meantime, it'd be great to get confirmation about the likely error in the trajectoryProfile decision tree diagram I pointed out. I'm pasting my observation and have included a screenshot of the portion of the diagram I'm referring to:

we think the diagram has an error in the "Does each profile in the trajectoryProfile collection share the same vertical coordinates?" decision: when true, this should lead to the orthogonal-along-vertical template, but it leads to the incomplete-along-vertical template instead.

Thanks! Cheers,
-Emilio

image.png

On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 5:39 AM Kenneth Casey - NOAA Federal <kennet...@noaa.gov> wrote:
Phil Jones is indeed leading an effort, later this FY, to update the netCDF templates.  Please talk directly with him if you would like more information.

Ken
[NOTE: The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author alone and do not necessarily reflect official NOAA, Department of Commerce, or US government policy.]

Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D. (he/him)
Deputy Chief, Data Stewardship Division

NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

1315 East-West Highway

Silver Spring MD 20910 USA
+1-301-713-4849

Connect with NCEI on FaceBook and follow us on Twitter at @NOAANCEI

Emilio Mayorga

Mar 15, 2024, 2:16:48 PMMar 15
to Philip Jones - NOAA Federal, Kenneth Casey - NOAA Federal, ioos...@googlegroups.com, ncei....@noaa.gov
Hi Phil,

Great! I'm glad to see the timing was good. I'd be happy to connect offline if your team would like to hear more about our use case.

Actually, come to think of it, this project involves some collaboration with Scott Cross at NCEI vis a vis the Global Ocean Currents Database, and eventual archiving of these data down the line.

Thanks,
Emilio

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024, 5:33 AM Philip Jones - NOAA Federal <philip...@noaa.gov> wrote:
Hi Emilio,

Your suggested change is appreciated and is well-timed with the effort happening this year to update the templates. I'll include it for the team to review and reach out to you with any questions.

Thanks,
Phil
--
Philip R. Jones (he/him)
Archive Branch Metadata Lead/Physical Scientist

Micah Wengren - NOAA Federal

Mar 21, 2024, 2:23:26 PMMar 21
to ioos...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding Tim's response to ioos_tech as an FYI.

Micah

Mar 25, 2024, 7:45:56 PMMar 25
to Tim Boyer - NOAA Federal, Philip Jones - NOAA Federal, Kenneth Casey - NOAA Federal, ioos...@googlegroups.com, ncei....@noaa.gov
Hi Tim (and Phil),

I'd forgotten to follow up. We're not working with U. Hawaii at this time. The project, "Sampling QUantitative Internal-wave Distributions" (http://faculty.washington.edu/girton/squid/), is led by James Girton and is part of the NOPP's Sampling QUantitative Internal-wave Distributions program (https://nopp-giw.ucsd.edu). One of the core goals of the project is to make velocity data from velocity profiling (EM-APEX, ElectroMagnetic APEX) floats more broadly usable and standardized, and one of the mechanisms for doing that will hopefully be via the Global Ocean Currents Database (https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/products/global-ocean-currents-database). Our collaborator there is Scott Cross, but we haven't reconnected about this project in a while.

Great to see that the scope of the netcdf template revamp includes the range of use cases you mention.

Have you or Phil had a chance to check if the issue I pointed out with the trajectoryProfile decision tree is in fact an error? It'd be helpful to have official confirmation. Here's how I described it earlier:

we think the diagram (https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/data/oceans/ncei/formats/netcdf/v2.0/decision_tree_high_res.pdf) has an error in the "Does each profile in the trajectoryProfile collection share the same vertical coordinates?" decision: when true, this should lead to the orthogonal-along-vertical template, but it leads to the incomplete-along-vertical template instead.

Thanks,
-Emilio