IOIO Status? Newer products?

John Simpson

Nov 1, 2020, 2:36:52 PM11/1/20
to ioio-users
Hi

I had a lot of success with the IOIO OTG five years ago on a commercial project and had hoped to pick up where I left off now that I have some time (controlling some electro-magnetic stuff and visualising currents and back-emf on the android device using OpenGL).  I dusted off my new-old stock boards and made a start.

Android Studio has come on a long way since the downloads were written but it wasn't too difficult to get the examples going and to remind myself how it all worked.  Big problems getting new firmware loaded on Linux (driver incompatibility in bootloader mode - cdc_acm 1-1.2:1.0: failed to set dtr/rts,  Ubuntu, Fedora and whatever it is my Raspberry Pi uses). Gave up after a day (it wasn't just ModemManager) and reverted to Windows.

Anyway, the question is, is there, or will there be a later product with equivalent performance?  Is it anyone's intention to update the  current downloads? And is there a later bootloader which will fix the Linux issue? I could have a go at it myself if not and if the product has a future.

Cheers

John

Richard Wright

Nov 8, 2020, 5:29:10 PM11/8/20
to ioio-users

I have loved the IOIO product line since the first one was released. I have not found any other board that supports such flexibility (especially with the number of analog input pins) in the same price range. It has been stable for me in so many projects, but I have found that it is more and more difficult to find, and even SeeedStudio has stopped manufacturing them (they won't even do a run of 100 for you anymore from the last time I talked directly with them).

I have had great success with the devices connected to Linux (including Raspberry pi), but have always updated the firmware from a Windows PC, so I haven't seen that issue. If there is a group that is interested in continuing a community-driven approach to keeping the product alive, I'd be interested in joining that group.