GURPS Worldbooks I'd Rather Not See

Mike Sullivan

Mar 13, 1995, 3:14:06 AM3/13/95
GURPS Complete Book of 5 Point Phobias

GURPS Existentialism

GURPS Tectonics

GURPS Music Videos

GURPS Dick and Jane: Run, Spot, Move 7!

GURPS Televangelism

GURPS Boogeymen: The Dust Bunnies from Hell

GURPS Contracts

GURPS On the Road with Charles Kuralt

GURPS People's Court (Hey, wait a minute, I *want* to see this one! Do you
bother recording the disadvantage if everyone has to take White Trash at
-10 points? <evil grin>)

Peace, -Moriah (mor...@io.com)

David A. Terhune

Mar 14, 1995, 4:24:51 PM3/14/95
Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:

: GURPS Complete Book of 5 Point Phobias

I want this one! I'd be willing to bet a lot of people would
choose five point phobias other than triskadekaphobia if they had a list
to choose from (I would).

--
David A. Terhune dter...@sprint.uccs.edu
http://www.uccs.edu/~dterhune/ finger for PGP public key

Adam Justin Thornton

Mar 14, 1995, 8:22:26 PM3/14/95
GURPS Postmodernism:
"I attempt to hegemonize hir epistemological discourse!"
"Make an Obfuscation roll at minus 3."
"Put _THIS_ under erasure, Derrida-boy!"

Adam
--
ad...@io.com | ad...@phoenix.princeton.edu | Viva HEGGA! | Save the choad!
"Double integral is also the shape of lovers curled asleep" : Pynchon

Lynette R. F. Cowper

Mar 15, 1995, 2:43:45 PM3/15/95
In article <3k51j3$8...@harpo.uccs.edu>,

dter...@sprint.uccs.edu (David A. Terhune) wrote:
>Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:
>
>: GURPS Complete Book of 5 Point Phobias
>
> I want this one! I'd be willing to bet a lot of people would
>choose five point phobias other than triskadekaphobia if they had a list
>to choose from (I would).

Try _The Insomniac's Dictionary_ by ?Paul Helweg? (don't have it right here,
but I think that's the right name). Has a whole list of phobias, some of
which would just have to be 5-pointers (and at least one quirk level phobia--
fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth). Of course, that
leaves it up to the GM to determine values instead of being "official" but
still it's a great reference. Also contains various types of -archies and
-ocracies, various -manias, and various -mancies. Great stuff.

* Lynette R. F. Cowper * "If people never did silly things, nothing*
* lco...@io.com * intelligent would ever get done." *
* lco...@indy.net * --L. Wittgenstein *
* Moderator indynet.general, Mother, GURPS GM, INWO fan, cat lover *

Erich Schneider

Mar 15, 1995, 9:22:17 PM3/15/95
In article <3k5fgi$s...@pentagon.io.com> ad...@pentagon.io.com (Adam Justin Thornton) writes:

>GURPS Postmodernism:
>"I attempt to hegemonize hir epistemological discourse!"
>"Make an Obfuscation roll at minus 3."
>"Put _THIS_ under erasure, Derrida-boy!"

You're too late. All role-playing games, being simulations of life,
are already postmodern. They provide a reality where nothing has any
depth other than a collection of statistics.
--
Erich Schneider er...@bush.cs.tamu.edu http://bush.cs.tamu.edu/~erich

"The Hierophant is Disguised and Confused."

Mark Rabuck (GD 1996)

Mar 15, 1995, 3:48:14 PM3/15/95
Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:

: GURPS Existentialism
Does this come with the "Waiting for Godot" supplement?

"OK, it's your move. What do you do?"
"Nothing."
"Why not?"
"I'm waiting for Godot..."

--
Mark W. Rabuck | Et quid erat, quod me delectabat,
116 Bishop St. Apt. B | nisi amare et amari?

S. Ware

Mar 16, 1995, 4:33:19 AM3/16/95
Adam Justin Thornton (ad...@pentagon.io.com) wrote:
: GURPS Postmodernism:

: "I attempt to hegemonize hir epistemological discourse!"
: "Make an Obfuscation roll at minus 3."
: "Put _THIS_ under erasure, Derrida-boy!"

Of course, you'd have to roll the die with one in either hand. Ala
_Glas_.

....Sean

+==========================================================================+
Sean Ware bi...@gagme.wwa.com
a.k.a. Bingo Pajama http://www.luc.edu/~sware/
+==========================================================================+
Wahr sind nur die Gedanken, die sich selber nicht verstehen. -- Adorno
+==========================================================================+

S. Ware

Mar 16, 1995, 4:36:53 AM3/16/95
Mark Rabuck (GD 1996) (mwra...@minerva.cis.yale.edu) wrote:
: Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:

: : GURPS Existentialism
: Does this come with the "Waiting for Godot" supplement?

: "OK, it's your move. What do you do?"
: "Nothing."
: "Why not?"
: "I'm waiting for Godot..."

Of course there's the necessary cross-genre campaign with GURPS
Shakespeare (cf. Above).

Rosencrantz: What's the matter with you, today?
Guildenstern: When?
Ros: What?
Guil: Are you deaf?
Ros: Am I dead?
Guil: Yes or no?
Ros: Is there a choice?
Guil: Is there a God?
Ros: Foul! No /non sequiturs/, three -- two. One game all.

Appologies, of course, to Tom Stoppard.

Message has been deleted

Jon Smith

Mar 16, 1995, 10:20:50 PM3/16/95
Can anyone please help me locate a copy (almost any condition) of
GURPS Fantasy Folk. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dr Tachyon

Mike Sullivan

Mar 17, 1995, 3:05:12 AM3/17/95
In article <3k51j3$8...@harpo.uccs.edu>,
dter...@sprint.uccs.edu (David A. Terhune) wrote:
>Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:
>
>: GURPS Complete Book of 5 Point Phobias
>
> I want this one! I'd be willing to bet a lot of people would
>choose five point phobias other than triskadekaphobia if they had a list
>to choose from (I would).

Do this: 1) Name *anything*; 2) Precede the named thing from #1 with
'fear of...'; 3) Go back to step 1.

Who needs Greek? :)

Peace,

Moriah <Hellenophobic -- Aaargh! Just scared myself.> (mor...@io.com)

Mike Sullivan

Mar 17, 1995, 3:05:19 AM3/17/95
In article <fbush1-16...@mac17.willets4.swarthmore.edu>,
fbu...@cc.swarthmore.edu (Frederic Bush) wrote:
>GURPS Surrealism: Ceci n'est pas un jeu...

Fish!

Peace, -Mike (mor...@io.com)

Scott D. Haring

Mar 17, 1995, 10:39:13 AM3/17/95
In article <3kav6i$r...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, tach...@ix.netcom.com (Jon
Smith) wrote:

If you can hold on a couple more months, a 2nd edition of GURPS Fantasy
Folk will be out in June.

David P. Summers

Mar 17, 1995, 5:54:03 PM3/17/95
In article <3kav6i$r...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, tach...@ix.netcom.com (Jon
Smith) wrote:

My understanding is that they are about to come out with a new printing.
________________________
(Disclaimer: If NASA had any position on any of this do you
think they would have ME give it?)
David Summers - Sum...@Ethyl-the-Frog.ARC.NASA.Gov

Jon Smith

Mar 17, 1995, 7:19:09 PM3/17/95

>If you can hold on a couple more months, a 2nd edition of GURPS Fantasy
>Folk will be out in June.

I'll try, I am glad to hear it because the last time I checked with
SJG's (a few months ago), they told me not to hold my breath.
Where did you get your info?
Dr Tachyon

Mike Sullivan

Mar 18, 1995, 2:06:02 AM3/18/95
In article <3kd8tt$c...@ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>,

Apparently, Scott needs a nifty .sig file to append to his posts to let
newtimers know that he works for SJ Games. <grin>

Peace, -Moriah (mor...@io.com)

Scott D. Haring

Mar 20, 1995, 10:44:20 AM3/20/95

Too true, Mike. I'm using a new newsreader (part of our editorial
department switch to Macs), and I haven't bothered to figure out sigs
yet... in my copious free time, as they say.

-- Scott Haring, Managing Editor, SJ Games (NOT a sig file. I just typed
this in like a moron.)

Jeffrey Rients

Mar 20, 1995, 1:38:55 PM3/20/95
sdha...@io.com (Scott D. Haring) writes:

>Too true, Mike. I'm using a new newsreader (part of our editorial
>department switch to Macs), and I haven't bothered to figure out sigs
>yet... in my copious free time, as they say.

>-- Scott Haring, Managing Editor, SJ Games (NOT a sig file. I just typed
>this in like a moron.)

Don't crumble to the pressure, friend. Just say NO to .sigs!

Jeff

Sandman

Mar 21, 1995, 2:13:31 AM3/21/95
GURPS Disco Fever
GURPS Sticks & Twigs
GURPS Decaffeinated Beverages
GURPS The Brady Bunch

Mike Sullivan

Mar 21, 1995, 11:23:47 AM3/21/95
In article <3kki3v$i...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

je...@arh0027.urh.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey Rients) wrote:
>>-- Scott Haring, Managing Editor, SJ Games (NOT a sig file. I just typed
>>this in like a moron.)
>
> Don't crumble to the pressure, friend. Just say NO to .sigs!
>
>Jeff

.sigs are fine, if they're not more than two lines, and if they're
informative, and if they're useful, and if they don't annoyingly repeat
the same, tired, mildly amusing quotes..... um, nevermind -- you're right.

Peace, -Moriah (mor...@io.com)

Kent Joseph Dirckx

Mar 21, 1995, 5:22:31 PM3/21/95

>Peace, -Moriah (mor...@io.com)

Should we start a support group for those of us who have thrown off the
shackles of SIGS?

The SIGless Wonder (no this is not a SIG.)
Kent Dirckx

Marshall Ryan Maresca

Mar 21, 1995, 6:02:33 PM3/21/95
Sandman (SAN...@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU) wrote:
> GURPS Decaffeinated Beverages
Complete with "Mellow" advantage and "Herbal Tea" skills.

> GURPS The Brady Bunch

New Advantages: Grooviness, Marcia (Because she gets to do everything!)
New Disadvantages: Middle Child, Lisp, Polyester, and Delusion:
Singing Ability!

-Marshall (Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!) Ryan Maresca

Jeffrey Rients

Mar 21, 1995, 6:42:22 PM3/21/95

No way. We're the sane ones. Let all the weirdos who use sigs start a
support group. They need the help.

Jeff

Christopher J. Burke

Mar 22, 1995, 9:08:26 AM3/22/95
Sandman (SAN...@UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU) wrote:
> GURPS The Brady Bunch

Rats! And I wanted to be Greg!

I'm glad we had this little talk.

--
C. J. Burke Writer, Actor, Playtester, Programmer Sub-Extraordinaire
cjb...@io.com, cbur...@reach.com |

Bolie Williams IV

Mar 22, 1995, 12:00:11 PM3/22/95
Jeffrey Rients (je...@arh0027.urh.uiuc.edu) wrote:

: Jeff

I've always prefered Glocks, myself, but then I don't have much experience
with Sigs. :)

Bolie IV

--
*** ------------------------------ *** ------------------------------ ***
Bolie Calvin Williams IV Proj. Engnrng, Computers, Electric Mach.

Sandman

Mar 23, 1995, 2:05:08 AM3/23/95
In article <3kpl2r$a...@illuminati.io.com>

bo...@io.com (Bolie Williams IV) writes:

>I've always prefered Glocks, myself, but then I don't have much experience
>with Sigs. :)
>Bolie IV

Sigs are heavier, and a little sturdier, but Glocks have better accuracy.
You can't beat a Sig for damage and penetration, though!

:)

It -is- a joke.

Nomad of Norad (David C. Hall)

Mar 24, 1995, 12:43:44 AM3/24/95
In article <kRePl0qER9$V07...@io.com> mor...@io.com (Mike Sullivan) writes:
> In article <3k51j3$8...@harpo.uccs.edu>,
> dter...@sprint.uccs.edu (David A. Terhune) wrote:
> >Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:
> >
> >: GURPS Complete Book of 5 Point Phobias
> >
> > I want this one! I'd be willing to bet a lot of people would
> >choose five point phobias other than triskadekaphobia if they had a list
> >to choose from (I would).
>
> Do this: 1) Name *anything*; 2) Precede the named thing from #1 with
> 'fear of...'; 3) Go back to step 1.
>
> Who needs Greek? :)

On the other hand, having this longish list of phobias in front of you might
give you all sorts of ideas you would NOT likely have thought of on your own.
For instance, fear of swords might be interesting if you're running a fantasy
campaign, and the only way the character can slay the big villain is with this
special magical sword... :-)

Then again, I DID think of that one without having this list handy. But, I'll
just betcha there ARE lots of ideas on that list which you WOULDN'T have
thought of, which WOULD make for as interesting a plot twist as the above.

Besides, it's a great brainstorming tool to thumb randomly through the list
and see what you find, which might suggest other ideas...

> Peace,
>
> Moriah <Hellenophobic -- Aaargh! Just scared myself.> (mor...@io.com)

--
Nomad of Norad (David C. Hall) | "I am No-mad. I am per-fect.
tlvx!wopr!no...@sinkhole.unf.edu | >Click!< per-fect.

Tom Stevens

Mar 28, 1995, 1:07:02 PM3/28/95
Nomad of Norad (David C. Hall) (no...@wopr.UUCP) wrote:

: In article <kRePl0qER9$V07...@io.com> mor...@io.com (Mike Sullivan) writes:
: > In article <3k51j3$8...@harpo.uccs.edu>,
: > dter...@sprint.uccs.edu (David A. Terhune) wrote:
: > >Mike Sullivan (mor...@io.com) wrote:
: > >
: > >: GURPS Complete Book of 5 Point Phobias
: > >
: > > I want this one! I'd be willing to bet a lot of people would
: > >choose five point phobias other than triskadekaphobia if they had a list
: > >to choose from (I would).
: >
: On the other hand, having this longish list of phobias in front of you might

: give you all sorts of ideas you would NOT likely have thought of on your own.
: For instance, fear of swords might be interesting if you're running a fantasy
: campaign, and the only way the character can slay the big villain is with this
: special magical sword... :-)

which made me think of a list we once generated. I was running a
homegrown system, and we were of the belief that skill lists were limiting.
We defined skills as anything you learn know, or get better at.
we then a big brainstorming session, and came up with TONS of skills.
Included were such skills as map folding (certainly some people are
better at this than others)
Ketchup pouring, sheep herding, falling asleep, and hundreds of others.
Even though the list was in essense useless, it was a blast to create it.

: Then again, I DID think of that one without having this list handy. But, I'll

: just betcha there ARE lots of ideas on that list which you WOULDN'T have
: thought of, which WOULD make for as interesting a plot twist as the above.

ah but did you think of fear of wool?
or fear of ketchup?
if you brainstorm do it with a group.

: Besides, it's a great brainstorming tool to thumb randomly through the list

: and see what you find, which might suggest other ideas...

: >
: > Peace,
: >
: > Moriah <Hellenophobic -- Aaargh! Just scared myself.> (mor...@io.com)

: --
: Nomad of Norad (David C. Hall) | "I am No-mad. I am per-fect.
: tlvx!wopr!no...@sinkhole.unf.edu | >Click!< per-fect.
: tlvx!no...@sinkhole.unf.edu | >Click!< per-fect."

--
N...@thepoint.com
First master of the backwards philosophy.