Will AI keep us as pets? - any appetite for a discussion?

Sarah James

May 14, 2023, 2:01:47 AM5/14/23
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends,

I am sure you would be following the incredible developments in AI over the past six months. I find it to be a fascinating topic, and I have started to build a scrapbook of articles and thought pieces on the topic.

One book that you might not be aware of, but which is often referred to in discussions about what may become of the human species under the influence of AI is the incredible 'Homo Deus' by Yuval Noah Harari (2017). https://www.booktopia.com.au/homo-deus-yuval-noah-harari/ebook/9781473545373.html

This sequel to the book Sapiens (you might want to read this first) is a wonderfully intelligent set of theoretical predictions that have been developed via Harari's eye-watering talent for analysis and insight into the history of the progress of homo sapiens. It is compelling, fascinating and somewhat chilling reading.

I am writing to ask if anyone has read this book or has any thoughts (or references) that you wish to share about the coming AI revolution and humans' place in it?

My feelings are that one area of human endeavour which is unique to homo sapiens is human connection (not to mention human emotion). And as the single biggest factor that contributed to human 'success' on planet Earth, social cooperation is still a very powerful force we could leverage to possibly avoid some of the more unsavoury potential outcomes of the forthcoming revolution in AI.

Any thoughts?

Kindest,
Sarah

Sarah James

May 21, 2023, 1:49:39 AM5/21/23
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,

I just wanted to jump in and share a few of the most eye-opening thought pieces I have read/listened to/seen in the past week (including one piece of comedy, for some welcome relief, 😉) in case my email got missed in the festivities last week. I hope you don't mind! Every day it seems like there is a plethora of new articles discussing the dangers/potential benefits of AI, which is fantastic to see. So I am sure you have read a lot about it this week. Here are three more that really felt like they are good enough to be shared for your collection:

Benjamin Hilton's argument was the first time I had heard about 'alignment' https://80000hours.org/problem-profiles/artificial-intelligence/ It is a substantial and compelling if somewhat terrifying article showing exactly how things could go so, so wrong. It also elegantly explains why politics and capitalism often fail to adequately generate good and altruistic outcomes (or outcomes that humans would want). And provides concrete ways that humans can work to reduce the risks of AI.

This podcast discussion between Yascha Mounk and Gary Marcus also touched on alignment, but shed more light on short-term and long-term risks of AI based on the mediocrity of AI in its current form, and the potential for the superiority of AI to lead to existential catastrophe in the future: https://www.persuasion.community/p/marcus#details  So interesting.

Finally (because all this can have the effect of leaving one with a palpable sense of needing to really connect with other humans 😉) here is a nice little post by The Chaser that made me laugh. I hope you enjoy it too 😊 https://www.instagram.com/p/Csa8AJSh-Yj/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

It would be great to hear your thoughts!

Best wishes,
Sarah

--
Sarah