Help needed! Threatened Species day 7th September

libby and alan

Sep 1, 2021, 3:05:46 AM9/1/21
to IntoIT Basecamp
Hello everyone, I hope you are all well and as busy as you would like to be.

The atlas of Life has  been asked to contribute an Atlas of Life segment for schools as part of Bournda EEC Threatened Species Day session on 7th September.

I am very keen to launch a schools competition/quiz/whatever around parrots and using our iNaturalist database which has lots of great photos in it.

I was thinking of something that give points for recording parrots - 1 for a Rainbow lorikeet and 10 for a Gang-gang etc with prizes at the end of the month. We could also ask students to look at the parrots in our database and pick out those that are feeding and say what they are feeding on - or something???

Any ideas as to how we can set up an activity for kids to explore?

I need your tech savvy and I’m happy to pay for someone’s time to set something up.

Best wishes,
 Libby

Alice B Hutley

Sep 2, 2021, 8:05:46 PM9/2/21
to intoitsap...@googlegroups.com
The first thought that springs to mind with the basic idea you suggest is an electronic form with a text box that's connected to the database listing the names of the different birds ie type the first few letters and bird names starting with those letters appear as a drop-down. A larger text-box to say what they are feeding on, or where they are (high up in a tree, on the ground, etc), or perhaps something interesting about the bird they saw, and an upload file selector so they can upload a photo of a bird they saw.
I think this could be set up to calculate the sore each child gets. The photo would also ensure it's the correct bird, and if they're not sure what it's called, there can be a link to your iNaturalist database so they can look through the pictures to find the parrot they saw.