Fighting Case of Family Separation

Ashley Edgette

Mar 20, 2014, 4:25:57 PM3/20/14
to intl_...@googlegroups.com
Dear Truman Community,

My name is Ashley Edgette, and I am a 2012 Utah scholar. Currently, I work at a shelter for recently deported women on the U.S.-Mexican border. Here at the Kino Border Initiative, we work with countless women who are trying to reunite with their families in the United States.

This past week over 150 Dreamers, and parents of U.S. born children intentionally entered the Otay Detention Center in San Diego, California. These parents, children, and students are asking for varying forms asylum in order to return to their families.

I met Isabel Martinez Miguel at the shelter one month ago. She is a single mother who was separated from her U.S. born daughter last year. Her daughter is currently in Chicago. Isabel has tried seven times to get back to her unsuccessfully. As a last hope, Isabel joined the families in Tijuana and entered the detention center, asking permission to return to her daughter in Chicago.

Today, I am asking for your support. Please help Isabel return home to her daughter.

Here is a link to Isabel's story. This is an interview that was done by a volunteer here at Kino.
Here is a link to Isabel's petition.
And here is more information about the National Immigrant Youth Alliance action currently going on.

Thank you in advance for your support,
Ashley Edgette

--
Ashley V. Edgette