Shadow server issue

Simon Watkins

May 31, 2018, 2:45:37 PM5/31/18
to IRIS, Caché, Ensemble
Hello, thanks in advance for your help
We have a server A as a Source Server and Server B as a Shadow Server. Both are identical Windows
Server 2012 R2 Virtual boxes running Cache for Windows (x86-64) 2014.1.3 (Build 775U) on x64
architecture.

On May 22nd, due to operational issues, we were supposed to migrate one of the servers
(Server B) to new hardware in a brand new environment. We prepared everything on Tuesday afternoon
for the migration and shut down Caché on Server B safe in the knowledge that the journal files
would continue being created on Server A for 2 days as per the default settings.

However, as is often the case, there were problems with the migration for a number of different
servers (not Caché ones), and our Data Centre team aborted the plan that afternoon, with a plan to
resume the next day. I wasn’t too worried by this since our servers are set to keep the journals
for what we thought were 2 days. Anyway, the migration was completed successfully this morning
(24th May).
I started up Caché on Shadow Server (B) this morning (24th May), expecting the journals from
Tuesday afternoon (less than 2 days earlier) to be applied, and received these error messages;

#       Time    PID     $ZERROR Text    Number or reoccurrences         First Occurred At
1       2018-05-24 10:44:16    6520    <ZABOR>EXEC1+5^SHDWCBLK        ERROR #1029: Shadowing aborted on error
        24/05/2018 10:44
2       2018-05-24 10:44:15    6428            ERROR #1029: Shadowing aborted on error               24/05/2018 10:44
3       2018-05-24 10:44:15    6428    <ZMISC>RCVB+31^SHDWCBLK        ERROR #1033: Requested journal file
'<path> 20180522.003' does not exist on the source                24/05/2018 10:44

To our horror we realised that the setting to keep journals for 2 days, was 2 calendar days, not
rolling days, so our journals from 22nd May afternoon were lost.

Now, I am able to restore these journal files from Source Server A from yesterday’s routine
backups. This date’s backup should have all the journal files on the Source Server A from
22-May-2018 since the backup was created on the 23rd May at 20:47 and 22.58.

The question I’ve been building up to is; can I just copy the missing but now restored journal
file(s) into the Source Server A directory (might as well restore all
20180522.00x files), resume journaling on Server B, and it’ll automatically recover, or do I
need to do anything else?

Andrew Makinson

Jun 11, 2018, 7:29:17 AM6/11/18
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
it might be easier to stop cache on the primary server databases and copy the cache.dat files over and create new mirror files. And then restart the Mirrors.

There is a step by step Guide to doing this in the intersystems documents

Sent from my iPhone
IRIS, Caché, Ensemble
---

Lyle Marti

Jun 11, 2018, 7:29:17 AM6/11/18
to intersystems...@googlegroups.com
Once you restore the journal files to the source, you will overcome the error on server B.  The requested journal will exist and will be pulled over to server b. The other thing you can do is just refresh server B from server A, unless hardware changes prevent it.  If you do that then you know you are in sync.

Lyle

IRIS, Caché, Ensemble
---

billr...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2018, 7:29:17 AM6/11/18
to IRIS, Caché, Ensemble
I believe the answer is yes.  Been a few years since I've had to do that though.

Bill

Venkatesh Gadi

Jun 11, 2018, 7:29:17 AM6/11/18
to IRIS, Caché, Ensemble
if you could get some downtime on shadow server and your database is not too huge , In these cases it is always better to do the total refresh again from production and start shadowing.

Simon Watkins

Aug 31, 2018, 7:54:57 AM8/31/18
to IRIS, Caché, Ensemble
To post to this group, send email to intersystems...@googlegroups.com.

Just to let you know, this is exactly what we did. Thank you for your help.