FW: Big Dinghy - April 1 - 2

Emilio Castelli

Mar 22, 2023, 5:06:47 AM3/22/23
to District 24 email list, Ilca group

Need 5 boats to make a class by March 29th  at 6pm  to make a class.

Emilio Castelli

www.castellivineyards.com

Mar 24, 2023, 1:37:30 PM3/24/23
to District 24 email list, Ilca group
Is anyone considering racing? The weather forecast shows no rain next weekend.  I'd like to race, but only if there are enough boats for a class start. Please respond if you are a likely yes.

Chris

Nick Roosevelt

Mar 24, 2023, 1:39:00 PM3/24/23
to Chris Simenstad, District 24 email list, Ilca group
I am planning on it. Just haven’t got around to registering.

--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association - - ---District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
To join this group, email international-laser-class-ass...@googlegroups.com

Takayanagi Toshinari

Mar 24, 2023, 3:07:50 PM3/24/23
to Nick Roosevelt, Chris Simenstad, Emilio Castelli, District 24 email list, Ilca group

Chris Simenstad

Mar 24, 2023, 3:54:15 PM3/24/23
to Nick Roosevelt, Emilio Castelli, Takayanagi Toshinari, District 24 email list, Ilca group

david lapier

laird henkel

Mar 28, 2023, 1:31:21 PM3/28/23
to david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24

Takayanagi Toshinari

Mar 28, 2023, 11:57:25 PM3/28/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24
Hello, this is Toshi again.

This is final or almost final reminder/invitation to the Big Dinghy regatta at Richmond this weekend.
As of today, five boats signed up for ILCA6 and three boats for ILCA7. So ILCA6 can now have own start, but ILCA7 needs two more boats. Deadline for the early entry to form the class start is tomorrow (Wednesday 3/29) 6pm, so if you are on the fence, please consider about signing up without further wait!

Even if we could not form separate start for ILCA7, I guess ILCA6 and 7 can start together, so it will be fun anyway. But the more boats, the more fun. I hope/think it will be a great weekend with no rain.

Thanks!
Toshi

ianschil...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2023, 1:03:57 PM3/29/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24
Hi All,
 I registered for ILCA7. Any other lurkers that can get us a 5th ILCA7?

- Ian

Julian Soto

Mar 29, 2023, 11:47:44 PM3/29/23
to ianschil...@gmail.com, International Laser Class Association District 24
If they lowered the entry fee, they would have more participants that would make up for the lowering of the entry fee. That’s all I’m saying lol.

Sent from my [fill in the blank]

On Mar 29, 2023, at 10:04 AM, ianschil...@gmail.com <ianschil...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,
--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
--

---

Stephen Aguilar

Mar 30, 2023, 4:02:01 AM3/30/23
to Julian Soto, ianschil...@gmail.com, International Laser Class Association District 24
 Silly ... Regatta are not put on to make a profit  but they dont want to lose either.

 The yacht clubs Plan for x #of boata. This is based on the number of boats they had the previous  year. This is how they come up with the assets they need  the # of volunteers  how much it going to cost  to support those  volunteers  along with  alot  of other expenses.  Then they create  a budget and determine how much to charge the sailors.

 This is one of the reasons  that  they would like you to register  early. So they can see if they budgeted people assets and expenses  and revenue correctly. If you show up with less then the projected # of  boats there is no way they can lower the entry fee.

 If you want lower fees you can  do what I did at some of the Grand Prix events. Go to the regatta  planning meeting. Let them know  that the laser Fleet will bring minimum # of boats with maybe a couple more. You will know  this # because you  know  your Fleet. They  will use this# for creating their budget . This will help them determine entry fees.

Julian last year when you said you wanted  to be the next secretary .  I gave you the opportunity  to shadow me . That way  could hit the ground  running.  You declined my offer. This is one of the reason I feel that you are  not qualified. Just saying....
Stephen

Emilio Castelli

Mar 30, 2023, 12:03:42 PM3/30/23
to Stephen Aguilar, Julian Soto, International Laser Class Association District 24

I’m with Julian on this one.

There are fixed costs and variable costs. Your fixed costs are the same, regardless of fleet size.

If you commit, in the NOR to running races on three different courses, regardless of the number of entries, your fixed costs are huge and your entry fee will need to be  huge as well.

Emilio Castelli

www.castellivineyards.com

Walt Spevak

Mar 30, 2023, 12:09:13 PM3/30/23
to Emilio Castelli, Stephen Aguilar, Julian Soto, International Laser Class Association District 24
Am wondering if this thread might have legs (go on for a while) and not be of interest to everyone in the district.

With that in mind perhaps people could reply that they want to 'opt in' to that thread and then we carry on.

The economist in me is itching to say more about price elasticity, cohort pricing, discount/premium events and such.  Pretty sure not everyone wants to hear me drone on!

--
Walt Spevak
415-298-1173 (cell)

Al Sargent

Mar 30, 2023, 12:52:03 PM3/30/23
to Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, Stephen Aguilar, Julian Soto, International Laser Class Association District 24
This morning, I got a text from the race officer, Robin Van Vliet. Her question:

We have five 6s and four 7s. Meld into one start/one class for awards, or start together but score separately with the assumption that at least a few more will still register?

What are people's thoughts on this?

I'm not attending, so I don't have skin in the game.

--

I agree with Emilio: three race areas mean lots of motorboat fuel and volunteer lunches -- higher variable costs. I've seen several volunteers on the committee boat during past RYC events, which means lots of lunches.

It'd be great to see what could be done to reduce the operational footprint and focus on providing a lower-cost event... you could set up another course inside the breakwater for the Lasers and have one person in a whaler running it -- you've just slashed your fuel and lunch costs. Would it be a small racing area? Yes, but lots of laps are fine; it keeps the boats closer together, the racing more exciting, and the costs down, which in turn pulls in more entrants. During Covid, we'd have 20 boats doing a 5-minute upwind leg, and it was a blast.

 As Stephen says, the regatta planning meeting is the right time to do this.

laird henkel

Mar 30, 2023, 1:28:07 PM3/30/23
to Al Sargent, Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, Stephen Aguilar, Julian Soto, International Laser Class Association District 24
Starting together and scoring separately sounds like a good idea.

Takayanagi Toshinari

Mar 30, 2023, 1:32:16 PM3/30/23
to laird henkel, Al Surgent, Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, Stephen Aguilar, Julian Soto, International Laser Class Association District 24
Starting together and scoring separately sounds like a good idea.

I also like starting together and scoring separately.

Thanks,
Toshi

Alberto Rivera

Mar 30, 2023, 1:39:16 PM3/30/23
to Takayanagi Toshinari, laird henkel, Al Surgent, Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, Stephen Aguilar, Julian Soto, International Laser Class Association District 24
+1 For starting together and scoring separately.
However I'm not too hopeful that more people will sign up. If we need to consolidate the ILCA 7 class into ILCA 6, I'm happy to switch rigs.

Best,
Alberto

Chris Boome

Mar 30, 2023, 3:14:56 PM3/30/23
to Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, International Laser Class Association District 24, Julian Soto, Stephen Aguilar
$215 (late entry fee) to race 10 races with World Championship style Trapezoid courses at ABYC against 67 boats with free food and drink after every race and a nice Yeti beer holder vs $90 for 3-6 15-20 minute races that are sometimes reaches instead of W-L.

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 9:09 AM Walt Spevak <wsp...@gmail.com> wrote:
--
Heaven Is For Real

Stephen Aguilar

Mar 30, 2023, 9:56:15 PM3/30/23
to Chris Boome, Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, International Laser Class Association District 24, Julian Soto
 I think I can handle a  4.7  ill ask Robin  if i can sail with the fleet if so I will sign up.. it been so long and I miss hanging out with you guys .

laird henkel

Mar 31, 2023, 10:30:45 AM3/31/23
to Stephen Aguilar, Chris Boome, Walt Spevak, Emilio Castelli, International Laser Class Association District 24, Julian Soto
Stephen, you could sign up for a 6 and just use a 4.7.

Sent from my iPhone