Radial Sail

Kathleen Cornetta

Jan 3, 2023, 9:09:53 PM1/3/23
to international-laser-clas...@googlegroups.com

Hey everyone,

   New to the fleet and still in the borrowing and renting boats phase.   Anyone have a used radial sail I could have/borrow/ or buy??

   I signed up for the RYC Midwinters but the boat I’m borrowing haddock an old practice sail that’s not class legal.

   Thanks!
    Katie Cornetta

On Jan 2, 2023, at 11:37 AM, Al Sargent <asar...@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

On Sun, Jan 1, 2023 at 7:33 PM Julian Soto <jujub...@gmail.com> wrote:
Keep it simple by understanding the fundamentals. The topography of this venue is key as well as minimizing risk. There were silly times when sailed away from the fleet to get some leverage or allowing a few close competitors to get some leverage on me. Keeping your competitors in bets you and the mark is key.

Sent from my [fill in the blank]

On Jan 1, 2023, at 7:13 PM, Al Sargent <asar...@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

Better late than never, here's the regatta report for the 2022 Laser District 24 Championships, held at Stampede Reservoir north of Truckee, California.

This was my first time racing at Stampede Lake. Since I live in San Francisco, a few hours west of the Sierra Nevada mountains, I opted to drive up early Saturday morning, rather than slog through greater Bay Area commute traffic for hours on end. Good call, since it was a quick blast up highway 80.

Even though we had a number of wildfires burning in the area, as is common in the Sierras in early September, we had a great turnout. 20 ILCA 7s (full rig), 12 ILCA 6s (radials), and 5 ILCA 4s. Kudos to Stephen Aguilar for switching to an ILCA 4, so they could have their own start.

Stampede Lake is legendary for the thermal breeze filling in around 1 pm. It was a bit slower this year, probably due to all the smoke inhibiting the heating of the land. But around 1:30, a 7-knot breeze filled in for our first race. See map below for where we sailed.

Figuring out the course was hard. First off, you couldn't see the weather mark, due to all the smoke. Second, I'd never sailed on Stampede before and didn't have any local knowledge.

In the first race, I decided to start at the pin then head to the left shore, since that works on Huntington Lake. Bad idea. The wind went right, and stayed there. I hung in there on starboard, waiting for a leftie. Thankfully, one came. Tacked onto port. Crossed behind the leaders, including Emilio Castelli. Found a rightie. Tacked on it. A boy, it was a big one. Put me into the front of the pack. Better to be lucky than good, I guess. I hiked hard to make the most use of it. Got around the weather mark in first place, then held on to cross the downwind in first.

The lesson: be patient, and wait for the headers.

The next two races on Saturday were light. The wind shifted about 30 degrees to the left, and the upwinds were almost all on port tack. On the upwinds, it seemed to pay to sail on port and go right until about 3/4 up the upwind leg, then take a rightie to the port layline. There seemed to more breeze on the upper left portion of the course, as the wind funneled through a valley. But I got 5-6 in those two races, so take that with a grain of salt. Julian Soto and Emilio won those races, so maybe they'll have more to add.

On Sunday, we sailed further to the west. The first start had a lot of right favor in the line, so I started at the boat. Then tacked on the first leftie, then a rightie. For maybe a minute, I had a huge lead. Sadly, that evaporated, as the wind filled in hard from the left. It turned out that the best move was to go all the way to the port layline, and take a leftie across to the windward mark. I was somewhere around 10th place that the weather mark.

One thing with lakes is that you have to be a quick learner. Seeing that the breeze was consistently on the left (facing upwind) side of the course, I figured I'd play that side. On the downwind, I positioned myself to the right of the pack (facing downwind). That paid, and I caught a few boats.

I took the left gate, which was much further upwind, and immediately tacked. I held starboard for a long time, and sailed out from under all the boats that were ahead of me. Clawed back to second, with Julian winning.

Lesson learned, I followed the same strategy in the second race of Sunday. I forget the details, but Emilio got a huge lead for the bullet, while Julian and I battled it out for second, with Julian winning.

At the end of the day, it was Julian winning with a solid 7 points, me in second with 11 points, Emilio one point back in third, and J Denton and Will Pullen in fourth and fifth, both one point further pack.

In the ILCA 6s, Isabella Cabezas came all the way from Key Bsicayne, Florida, to tie with our own Toshi Takayanagi on points. And not just tie -- they both had the same number of firsts, seconds, thirds, and fourths. In the end, the tie-breaker came down to the last race: since Isabella beat Toshi in that one, she took the win.

In third was Cooper Smith, fresh off sailing in the ILCA 6 Youth Worlds in Houston. Shout out to his dad, Robert Smith, for winning the last race of the series in the ILCA 6s.

In the ILCA 4s, Siena Nichols tied with Talia Hamlin. As with the 6s, both sailors had the same number of firsts, seconds, and thirds, and it came down to the last race.

Detailed results are here:

Some important logistics notes in you ever head to this regatta in the future:
  • There's no cell coverage at the venue, so download offline google maps for the Truckee/Stampede area.
  • The regatta venue itself wasn't easy to find, since some of the signs were old or misleading. So pull up this google map link to the parking lot when you have cell coverage, and bookmkar it..
  • Save the coordinates for the parking lot: 39.4745165,-120.1247026
  • Since it's held during fire season, figure out a way to block the smoke. I used my neck gaiter. Other sailors wore N95 masks.
Overall, Stampede Regatta was a great time, and worth heading back to. Many thanks to Tahoe Yacht Club and Tahoe fleet captain Rick Raduziner, and everyone else who helped organize and run the regatta!

<image.png>

--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association - - ---District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
To join this group, email international-laser-class-ass...@googlegroups.com

--
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/international-laser-class-association-district-24/7DC5C12A-0A41-4445-A5AE-65026759CF57%40gmail.com.

--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association - - ---District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
To join this group, email international-laser-class-ass...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "International Laser Class Association District 24" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/international-laser-class-association-district-24/CAP8fJnwFCwv%2BwhJ5WCHyLYvnsL7Sz2qWfSHW3XxBUZ7Ua5_tsQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Emilio Castelli

Jan 4, 2023, 8:10:09 PM1/4/23
to Kathleen Cornetta, international-laser-clas...@googlegroups.com

I don’t think using a replica sail will be a problem.

Al Sargent

Jan 4, 2023, 8:14:42 PM1/4/23
to Kathleen Cornetta, international-laser-clas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katie,

I have a Radial sail that I can sell you. Let's talk offline.

Stephen Aguilar

Jan 4, 2023, 8:52:15 PM1/4/23
to Al Sargent, Kathleen Cornetta, International Laser Class Association District 24
Kathleen how's it going. You don't know me I'm a stranger and that's okay because I am kind of strange. I know Emilio stated it's okay to use a replica you know my official word is it's one design racing we should all have the same stuff. I do however have a class legal 6 Radial that I can loan you. It once belonged to a famous French guy ( not Napoleon though sometimes I do wonder if he's from that bloodline) I believe it has French markings on it ( I saw it yesterday) If you're okay with that you can use it. I may also have a couple marked with USA . I'll check for you. Please bring battons.
Stephen