Dave Perry at Richmond YC this Monday: Tactics in Crowds!

Al Sargent

Mar 17, 2023, 7:15:54 PM3/17/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24
Who's Dave Perry, you may ask?

He's one of the best sailing educators in the country. He's a highly skilled sailor, having won many national and North American championships, and one of the world's top rules experts, having coached in multiple Olympics and Americas Cups. But he's also great in a classroom and a master at keeping things lively and interactive.

Here's the talk:

Tactics in Crowds!
An Interactive, Fun & Educational Evening in-person with Dave Perry
Monday, March 20, 2023
7:00 – 9:30pm
Space is limited! Register prior to noon on Sunday.

Hope all of you can make it!

Dave Perry bio:

Dave Perry grew up sailing on Long Island Sound at the Pequot Yacht Club. Learning to sail in Sunfish, Blue Jays and Lightnings from his parents and in the junior program at the Pequot Yacht Club in Southport, Connecticut, he won the Clinton M. Bell Trophy for the best junior record on L.I.S. in 1971. While at Yale (1973-77) he was captain of the National Championship Team in 1975, and was voted All-American in 1975 and 1977. Other racing accomplishments include: 1st, 1978 Tasar North Americans; 5th, 1979 Laser Worlds; 1st, 1982, 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2015 U.S. Match Racing Championship (POW); 1st, 1983 and 1984 Congressional Cup; and 1st, 1994, 1999 and 2003 Ideal 18 North American Championship.

Dave has been actively working for the sport since 1977. He has led hundreds of US Sailing instructional seminars in over 50 one-design classes; and has been an author and Instructor for the North U Rules & Tactics seminars for many years. He is currently the chairman of the US Sailing Appeals Committee and a US Sailing National Judge. In 1992 he was voted into the Sailing World Hall of Fame; in 1995 he became the first recipient of US Sailing’s Captain Joe Prosser Award for exceptional contribution to sailing education; in 2001 Dave received the W. Van Alan Clarke, Jr. Trophy, US Sailing’s national award for sportsmanship, and in 2020, he received the Nathaneal G. Herreshoff Award for outstanding contribution to the sport, and was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame.

He was the Director of Athletics at Greens Farms Academy, a K-12 coed independent day school in Westport, Connecticut from 1986-2006; and the Rules Advisor to the U.S. Olympic Sailing Team in 2008, 2012, and 2021, and to two America’s Cup Teams (Victory Challenge in 2007 and Artemis Racing in 2013 and 2017).

Stephen Reichenfeld

Mar 18, 2023, 11:58:44 AM3/18/23
to Al Sargent, International Laser Class Association District 24
My wife and I have had the pleasure of attending a number of instructional sessions and debriefs with Dave while helping out at the Clagett Regatta. He is excellent at cutting through the bs of rules "assumptions" many of us make. He does all this in an entertaining manner. I strongly encourage sailors of all ages and fleets to attend.

Have a great night with Dave. Say hi from Stephen and Lesley in Alberta.

Cheers, Stephen R. (D5 ILCA)

p.s. I think I still have his response to the video clip Emilio shareda couple of years ago recording a close encounter while tacking near the ww mark.