Vote for District Secretary -- How and Where?

david lapier

Mar 27, 2023, 6:18:40 PM3/27/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24
Where / how do we vote?
-- David
216613

Tracy Usher

Mar 27, 2023, 6:40:55 PM3/27/23
to david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24
I think we are still in the campaign period.

Perhaps the candidates can provide their lists of how the government is against them? Oh, wait, that is only for Presidential elections. Never mind…

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2023, at 5:18 PM, david lapier <deela...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where / how do we vote?
-- David
216613

--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association - - ---District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
To join this group, email international-laser-class-ass...@googlegroups.com

Walt Spevak

Mar 27, 2023, 7:30:38 PM3/27/23
to Tracy Usher, david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24
Campaign Period, March 20-26
Election Period, March 27-29

I imagine we'll hear from Scott today on voting protocol.

--
Walt Spevak
415-298-1173 (cell)

Stephen Aguilar

Mar 28, 2023, 4:55:21 AM3/28/23
to Walt Spevak, Tracy Usher, david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24
 The executive  secretary will send all class members  a email that  will contain a ballot  when  voting  opens.  I believe voting open this Tuesday  or Wednesday.
Stephen

Stephen Aguilar

Mar 28, 2023, 6:18:06 AM3/28/23
to Walt Spevak, Tracy Usher, david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24, Laser List
I think the next district 24 secretary  should be laird Henkel.   He is a long time competitor in the district.  He has aways stepped up  to help without being ask and has always come through.   He knows the long time members  and is respected. He take the time  to meet  new sailors. .He is not going to rub host club the wrong way.  He will implement the new guidelines that are  coming from the north American  class office.

I personally don't believe we need all these positions to run the District. It has been run for many year before me by one person. I also don't believe  social media  is the way to go. I think too many contact points.is confusing.  I believe that  ILCA-NA wants clear contact points.
I think you must first be able to create a document  before you start  changing  one. You have to remember almost all events  on our grand prix are event open to other classes. So having document that are the same for all events. Well ...The only laser/ ILCA  only district events open to all are the NOR CAL  THE TAHOE LASER FLEET CHAMPIONSHIPS.  MONTEREY  PENINSULA YACHT CLUB  LASER CHAMPS  the
 norcal cristina  shaw and i have created  the document.  For tahoe champs  Rick R  and John S  create  those  documents  with a little imput from me. Monterey  is a well organized  club a member put those together. Probably  with input from Garth D.
Back to laird   he is a solid guy  he's fair not full of himself. I believe that he will think obout what is good for you the sailor.
I'm 100th percent  endorse laird Henkel. He the best candidate  .
Stephen Aguilar

Julian Soto

Mar 28, 2023, 11:19:12 AM3/28/23
to Stephen Aguilar, Walt Spevak, Tracy Usher, david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24, Laser List
I want to clarify, I’m not wanting to get rid of the email list or have a lack of focus on it. I want to have more excitement for the class. We have zero social media content. For example, this past weekend, the MWW grew because of the hype building up from kids and adult posts such as VELA LA, ZIM, HamiltonBarclay and many more. If you want more participation and bigger events in D24 this is the way to go. It is 2023 and the phones and social media are used heavily especially since COVID. There aren’t many youth sailors in the district right now. Kids are looking to the 29er and i 420 and other faster boats. Kids are the future in addition to the current master sailors. We need to build the class!
So posting on the email lists and social media are a must right now.

Sent from my [fill in the blank]

Al Sargent

Mar 28, 2023, 12:38:14 PM3/28/23
to Julian Soto, Stephen Aguilar, Walt Spevak, Tracy Usher, david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24, Laser List
I agree that we must build the class, especially among younger sailors, while ensuring everyone is kept in the loop.

First off, we need to make sure people are aware of our regattas and remember that different forms of communication work for different age groups. For instance, email has the broadest reach, but it's hard to get the other D24 sailor in my household, my son, to look at it. TikTok might reach him, but that's not something I use.

And we should not just think online -- we should post paper printouts of the schedule and a QR code to our website on regatta notice boards. At awards presentations, our standard procedure should be to ask for a quick word to mention the next couple of regattas coming up.

Do we need one definitive location, a website, to find the D24 schedule and announcements? Yes. But we can drive people to that location from different touchpoints.

My two cents.

laird henkel

Mar 28, 2023, 1:38:24 PM3/28/23
to Al Sargent, Julian Soto, Stephen Aguilar, Walt Spevak, Tracy Usher, david lapier, International Laser Class Association District 24, Laser List
As long as the candidates are making stump speeches...I agree! And both Julian and Al would make great Secretaries! I think we need a central website and an email list, and while I'm not going to join social media myself, if I end up as D24 Secretary I'd ask someone to be a social media czar to promote the district and the class. And thanks for the kind words Stephen.

Just FYI regarding Julian's comment about social media spurring interest in the MWW--that's great!  But don't forget the folks who aren't on social media--let's share that hype on the D24 email list as well!

Laird