Web Workers Camp, Paris / La Cantine / Sat. 03-07-2010

David Bourguignon

Jun 21, 2010, 10:46:15 AM6/21/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Here is the announcement of an international barcamp (without the name):

Web Workers Camp
France / Paris / La Cantine / Sat. 03-07-2010
http://barcamp.org/WebWorkersCamp

The organisers simply precise:

"Me parler no French, can I come? You are most invited to. As a rule of
thumb in our meetings we always synchronise (only synchronous thing we
do) on the smallest common linguistic denominator. Which basically
means, if there is a single person that does not speak French, we'll
switch to something everybody present does (well, simply put, we'll
switch to English)."

I was going there anyway. Good opportunity to spread the word about the
branding idea... :-)

What do you think?

Have a good week-end,

David.

Oliver Gassner

Jun 22, 2010, 2:08:31 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think name and brand are not so moportant.

It is important that we spread the word on such camps.

Like: Blog about them (which I will do ;)O 9

OG

--
> oliver gassner - radbrunnengasse 1/2 - 71665 vaihingen/enz
> o...@carpe.com - + 49 179 297 2342 - http://blog.oliver-gassner.de
> carpe.com-Newsletter: http://tr.im/q9b6
> Workshop "XING optimal nutzen" auch in Stuttgart: http://tr.im/xingoliverg
> neue Adresse ab 9.8.2010: http://bit.ly/kehlhof6a (nahe Bodensee)

Nils Hitze

Jun 22, 2010, 2:21:04 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com

David Bourguignon

Jun 22, 2010, 4:21:24 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Understood Oliver, but what about making at least some basic steps?

My three cents below. (Please note the subtle difference with the new
definition of international barcamps in section 2. After all, English is
not the only common denominator sometimes... This will make some of my
multilingual friends happy.)

- 1 - We could find a variation on the original barcamp logo that would
emphasize the international element. (Importance: low IMHO.)

- 2 - We could write a basic set of good practices to help people move
forward, such as this introductory paragraph to any international
barcamp located:

Me [sprechen|parler|parlare|pratar|...] no
[German|French|Italian|Swedish|...], can I come?

You are most invited to. As a rule of thumb in our meetings we

synchronise on the smallest common linguistic denominator. Which

basically means, if there is a single person that does not speak

[German|French|Italian|Swedish|...], we will switch to a language
everybody understands (most of the time, we will switch to English).

- 3 - We could add a section about "international barcamps" in the
http://www.barcamp.org/ wiki, mentioning our basic set of good
practices. (Importance: high IMHO.)

What do you think?

David.

Oliver Gassner a �crit :

Oliver Gassner

Jun 22, 2010, 4:27:38 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:21, David Bourguignon
<david.bo...@orange.fr> wrote:
> Understood Oliver, but what about making at least some basic steps?

No prob, I am just still wrapping up bcbs and organizing the next camp ;)

In addition to what the webworkers wrte I guess it is essential that
the ORGA langage of the camp is english.
Otherweise people will not be able to follow the camp.

> My three cents below. (Please note the subtle difference with the new
> definition of international barcamps in section 2. After all, English is not
> the only common denominator sometimes... This will make some of my
> multilingual friends happy.)
>
> - 1 - We could find a variation on the original barcamp logo that would
> emphasize the international element. (Importance: low IMHO.)

maybe some extra logo with a flare and a globe or an I in it.
Indeed: Low.

> - 2 - We could write a basic set of good practices to help people move
> forward, such as this introductory paragraph to any international barcamp
> located:
>
> Me [sprechen|parler|parlare|pratar|...] no
> [German|French|Italian|Swedish|...], can I come?
>
> You are most invited to. As a rule of thumb in our meetings we synchronise
> on the smallest common linguistic denominator. Which basically means, if
> there is a single person that does not speak
> [German|French|Italian|Swedish|...], we will switch to a language everybody
> understands (most of the time, we will switch to English).

Yep, haveing a standard in the FAq is important, maybe also inser5t a
hint on this in the most common guides on how to set up a camp.

Importace: superhigh ;)

> - 3 - We could add a section about "international barcamps" in the
> http://www.barcamp.org/ wiki, mentioning our basic set of good practices.

I will talk about this with chris messina to gather his opinion and/or
invite him here.

> What do you think?

Excellet.
I think we shoudl also
as a VERY first step (before we do the above)

- gather more ppl interesten in iBarcamps
- from the International list
- gia our blogs
- via twitter etc.

For this:

- is the descr. text of this liste OK?
- ideas?

My next step: talk to chris about this

Who will look at the descr. here?

Oliver

David Bourguignon

Jun 22, 2010, 7:27:52 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oliver!

> No prob, I am just still wrapping up bcbs and organizing the next camp ;)
>
> In addition to what the webworkers wrte I guess it is essential that
> the ORGA langage of the camp is english.
> Otherweise people will not be able to follow the camp.

Got it.

> Yep, haveing a standard in the FAq is important, maybe also inser5t a
> hint on this in the most common guides on how to set up a camp.
>
> Importace: superhigh ;)

Where is this common guide? On Barcamp.org?

> I will talk about this with chris messina to gather his opinion and/or
> invite him here.

Great!

> I think we shoudl also
> as a VERY first step (before we do the above)
>
> - gather more ppl interesten in iBarcamps

Agreed. May I introduce newcomers on the list: Dirk from K�ln, Gaia and
�liane from Paris... All are interested in the concept. I let them
explain why.

> - from the International list

What do you mean?

> - gia our blogs
> - via twitter etc.

Will you create an "International Barcamps" list on Twitter?

> For this:
>
> - is the descr. text of this liste OK?
> - ideas?

> Who will look at the descr. here?

I can write a short description (there is currently none). But only you
can upload it. I will send it to you before the end of the week.

BTW I've started a "best practices" page on:
http://groups.google.com/group/international-barcamps/web/best-practices

David.

Oliver Gassner

Jun 22, 2010, 8:28:05 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 13:27, David Bourguignon
<david.bo...@orange.fr> wrote:

> Where is this common guide? On Barcamp.org?

Yep and

http://franztoo.de/?p=18 and the english original.

>> I will talk about this with chris messina to gather his opinion and/or
>> invite him here.
>
> Great!
>
>> I think we shoudl also
>> as a VERY first step (before we do the above)
>>
>> - gather more ppl interesten in iBarcamps
>

> Agreed. May I introduce newcomers on the list: Dirk from Köln, Gaia and
> Éliane from Paris... All are interested in the concept. I let them explain
> why.

super ;)
There is also @hirnrinde (Stefan) from Barcamp Ruhr.

>> - from the International list
>
> What do you mean?

The googlegroup for barcamp.org
http://groups.google.com/group/barcamp

>> - gia our blogs
>> - via twitter etc.
>
> Will you create an "International Barcamps" list on Twitter?

Hm, I already have tons of twitterchannels (20 or so ;) ).
I think a List here will do for once. maybe we can also establish a
separate liste on barcamp.org

>> For this:
>>
>> - is the descr. text of this liste OK?
>> - ideas?
>
>> Who will look at the descr. here?
>
> I can write a short description (there is currently none). But only you can
> upload it. I will send it to you before the end of the week.

I can also make U admin, we need several anyways.
In case I am hit by a bus ;)

> BTW I've started a "best practices" page on:
> http://groups.google.com/group/international-barcamps/web/best-practices

Great
OG

Nils Hitze

Jun 22, 2010, 8:31:03 AM6/22/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Count me in

2010/6/22 Oliver Gassner <o...@carpe.com>:

Oliver Gassner

Jun 22, 2010, 8:41:48 AM6/22/10
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 14:31, Nils Hitze <nhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Count me in

OK:

- as soon as we have a description
- and maybe a little page on the official wiki

- we need to research Barcamp Guides and point to our info via comment
with a standard text like:

'If you organise a Barcamp that because of its location might be
interesting to interaional visitors or if you want to further the
internatinal dialogue you might want to declare your camp an
'international Barcamp' and follow the best practices here: ____ URL

OG

David Bourguignon

Jul 6, 2010, 6:51:34 AM7/6/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oliver,

How are you doing? Web Workers Camp Paris went great, and it was a true
international barcamp. Even if 90% of the crowd (my stats) was in fact
natively French-speaking, we switched meetings to English (our common
denominator language in this case) when it was necessary.

We had the pleasure to discuss with Ryan Dahl of node.js fame and
Richard Kreuter from 10gen, the makers of MongoDB... Really cool stuff.
Yes, I'm slowly turning into a web developer without noticing it! :-)

Aside from that, I'm getting back to IBCs matters with some delay...
Let's try to keep this ball rolling!

>>> I will talk about this with chris messina to gather his opinion and/or
>>> invite him here.

Did you? What is Chris opinion about all this? BTW, I suggest that we
forget about http://franztoo.de/ for infos (it's down) and focus on the
official www.Barcamp.org instead.

>>> For this:
>>>
>>> - is the descr. text of this liste OK?
>>> - ideas?
>>> Who will look at the descr. here?
>> I can write a short description (there is currently none). But only you can
>> upload it. I will send it to you before the end of the week.

Here is a description for the list (I can put it on the site if you give
me admin rights):

International Barcamps is a channel for information and discussion about
participative conferences (aka "barcamps") that are friendly to
international visitors. The goal is to foster the adoption of best
practices and to help the international barcamps movement grow.

For the moment, organizers will commit themselves to:

1) Advertise for the barcamp using multilingual content (of course,
English will reach out to the largest number of people).

2) Make sure that meetings will follow the smallest common linguistic
denominator rule (see Best Practices section for explanations).

> I can also make U admin, we need several anyways.
> In case I am hit by a bus ;)

I feel honored, and I'm gladly accepting! But aside from that, please
don't worry, you won't be hit by a bus! :-)

Have a good afternoon,

David.

Oliver Gassner

Jul 6, 2010, 8:26:46 AM7/6/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:51, David Bourguignon
<david.bo...@orange.fr> wrote:

> Aside from that, I'm getting back to IBCs matters with some delay... Let's
> try to keep this ball rolling!

I still have a chat or skypecall with Chris Messina on my list.
It would be great to have the 'international idea' on the main wiki
and firmly supported by the core geeks ;)
(even if the idea might sound marginal to an American or Brit)

> Did you? What is Chris opinion about all this? BTW, I suggest that we forget
> about http://franztoo.de/ for infos (it's down) and focus on the official
> www.Barcamp.org instead.

It would be great if the was a cross reference in the main German
atricle as it is often pointed to. I hhave direct contact with Franz.

> Here is a description for the list (I can put it on the site if you give me
> admin rights):

With my slight adjustments it will reda like this

"International Barcamps" is a channel for information and discussion
about > participative conferences (aka "barcamps") that are friendly
to international visitors. The goal is to foster the adoption of best
practices and to help the international barcamps movement grow.

For the moment, organizers will commit themselves to:

1) Advertise for barcamps using multilingual content (of course,

English will reach out to the largest number of people).

2) Make sure that sessions and organizatorial texts meetings will

follow the smallest common linguistic denominator rule (see Best
Practices section for explanations).

>> I can also make U admin, we need several anyways.
>> In case I am hit by a bus ;)
>
> I feel honored, and I'm gladly accepting! But aside from that, please don't
> worry, you won't be hit by a bus! :-)

Well I somnetimes feel like I already HAVE BEEN hit ;)

I'll
a) put up the text (I made some minor adjustments)
b) make U admin.

OG

Oliver Gassner

Jul 6, 2010, 8:33:28 AM7/6/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
OK

problem, the descr. can only have 300 chars, so I only used the first
part, I will put up the complete text as a 'Page'

OG

David Bourguignon

Jul 6, 2010, 2:21:27 PM7/6/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Oliver for your message.

> I still have a chat or skypecall with Chris Messina on my list.
> It would be great to have the 'international idea' on the main wiki
> and firmly supported by the core geeks ;)
> (even if the idea might sound marginal to an American or Brit)

Agreed. BTW I guess Chris will soon attend the
http://federatedsocialweb.net/ meeting... Very interesting.

> It would be great if the was a cross reference in the main German
> atricle as it is often pointed to. I hhave direct contact with Franz.

Alright but Franz website seems to be a somehow fragile repository for
this. Maybe this article in German could be hosted somewhere on the
Mixxt website?

> With my slight adjustments it will reda like this

Fine. No problem with me.

> Well I somnetimes feel like I already HAVE BEEN hit ;)

Hmm, in this case you need some serious vacations (as we all do I
guess)... :-)

> I'll
> a) put up the text (I made some minor adjustments)
> b) make U admin.

Thanks! I've just reorganised a few things and uploaded a temporary logo
for the group.

Have a good evening,

David.

Kim Bach

Jul 6, 2010, 7:32:36 PM7/6/10
to internation...@googlegroups.com
I'm listening in! you rock! would have loved to be at wwc, and great
with the live streams!