Question about DOS Medley 2.0

Alexander Shendi

Sep 21, 2021, 10:23:01 AM9/21/21
to inte...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,

I have poked around the Interlisp/DOS repository and wondered:
1. What compiler was used to produce MEDLEY.EXE? There is a makefile with icc, but I don't know that one.
2. Would there be some merit to try and compile the source with a compiler for FreeDOS (e.g. DJGPP)?

Many thanks for your input.

/Alexander

Larry Masinter

Sep 21, 2021, 1:52:13 PM9/21/21
to Alexander Shendi, inte...@googlegroups.com
Medley 2.0 on DOS is mainly of interest as a historical artifact ("when was this feature introduced?")
and for testing ("is this a new bug or did it exist back then too?").

Running older sysouts for Medley 2.0 for software where we don't have sources
Should be possible by compiling modern Maiko, but having Medley 2.0 DOS to
compare would be useful.

DOS is particularly ugly because of the 6.3 file name restrictions.

--
https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org
> --
> https://Interlisp.org for more details
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/interlisp/057AE69B-3295-49E9-8AFD-
> D0B83B6DCB81%40web.de.

Ron Kaplan

Sep 21, 2021, 1:59:17 PM9/21/21
to Larry Masinter, Alexander Shendi, inte...@googlegroups.com
On the 6.3, about 25 years ago I wrote a DOS simulation of arbitrary-length filenames by extending down through cascading directories. I believe John included that in subsequent DOS releases of Medley.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/interlisp/00ec01d7af11%246834baf0%24389e30d0%24%40acm.org.

John Cowan

Sep 21, 2021, 3:24:24 PM9/21/21
to Alexander Shendi, Interlisp (Xerox Lisp environment)
On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 10:23 AM Alexander Shendi <Alexande...@web.de> wrote:

1. What compiler was used to produce MEDLEY.EXE? There is a makefile with icc, but I don't know that one.

icc is Intel's proprietary C/C++ compiler, which is tuned to produce optimal code on Intel chips (and to some extent on AMD chips).  It is primarily good for computationally intensive code because of its ability to vectorize C and C++ programs.  Given the speedups since then and the fact that Medley probably would benefit little from vectorization (except maybe in BITBLT) it's probably fine to use gcc or clang in cross-compilation mode.

Alexander Shendi

Sep 22, 2021, 2:12:45 AM9/22/21
to inte...@googlegroups.com, John Cowan, Interlisp (Xerox Lisp environment)
Hi,

actually I knew about Intel's icc, but wasn't aware it could produce DOS executables on any platform.