forming a (California) (Non-Profit)

Larry Masinter

May 29, 2021, 6:56:33 PM5/29/21
to Larry Masinter

I’ve been looking into the possibility of forming a non-profit company for several reasons, including to hold the copyright of our work, to encourage (tax-deductible) donations, to qualify for discounted prices on open-source software support, and many others.  I have talked about this with a few people and didn’t get much pushback but some encouragement.

How to Form a California Nonprofit Corporation | Nolo” and Attorney General's Guide for Charities: Best practices for nonprofits that operate or fundraise in California

are two guides I’m following.

California lays out several categories of non-profits, and “Scientific” seems to fit best. The “scope’ of the organization (what the bylaws say we’re doing) need not be restricted to restoring the Venue software (including Notecards, Rooms, Loops).

Now I am soliciting interest in volunteering for membership in the board of directors. Members of the board should be people who care about the outcome, and are willing to participate in (infrequent, zoom) board meetings.

Nolo suggest 9-15 board members.    I’m not expecting a commitment but if you are interested, or have someone you think I should ask, I’d appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Larry

--

https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org