Running on a Pi

Tim Bradshaw

Sep 21, 2021, 11:05:41 AM9/21/21
to Interlisp (Xerox Lisp environment)
Hello, I suspect that this has been discussed but I can't find much on the GH wiki or the mailing list archive (or as much of it as I have).

I also should confess that although I used Interlisp when it was still (almost) current, I haven't yet got around to recreating a Medley system. So I may be asking idiot questions.

I'd been planning to run it all in a VM on my Mac (which is generally how I run anything that needs X). But I realised that the Raspberry Pi which lives inside a keyboard is pretty cheap, and I have a spare screen, so I could make a real hardware system to run it all on. And of course, if that works I could (but won't) go mad and do what the person who makes virtual PDP-8s and PDP-11s (complete with front panels and blinkenlights) does and make a D-machine (although none of the D-machines I used had really enough blinkenlights: I think the 1109 had an LED error code thingy but the 1186s didn't have anything I think).

So has anyone experimented with running it all on a Pi, and how hard is it if so? I suspect the answer is 'easy' but I don't want to spend the money on the thing if the answer is 'very hard'. I'm competent to build maiko from sources, but probably not competent to fix really low-level problems in it if there are any.

Thanks

--tim

Alexander Shendi

Sep 21, 2021, 11:31:05 AM9/21/21
to Tim Bradshaw, Interlisp (Xerox Lisp environment)
Hi Tim,

I have compiled and run medley/maiko on the Linux subsystem of a Chromebook running ChromeOS. It was basically Debian/aarch64. I had no problems. I wouldn't expect a Raspberry Pi to be much different.

I hope this helps.

/Alexander

Larry Masinter

Sep 21, 2021, 12:06:15 PM9/21/21
to Alexander Shendi, Tim Bradshaw, Interlisp (Xerox Lisp environment)
Raspberry Pi is a system I regularly build for:

https://github.com/Interlisp/maiko/releases you want linux.arm7l
https://github.com/Interlisp/maiko/releases/download/maiko-210917/maiko-210917-linux.armv7l.tgz
(unless you are running the 64-bit Raspbian beta; I don't have one of those set up.
It's been reported to work fine.)

That's the VM emulator; for medley
https://github.com/Interlisp/medley/releases
it's machine-independent but (as of yesterday) comes in two parts
'loadups' and 'runtime'

We're trying to get releases automated based on GitHub actions
But for now it's shell scripts in the 'scripts' directory.

--
https://LarryMasinter.net https://interlisp.org
> --
> https://Interlisp.org for more details
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/interlisp/8BC18E06-7890-4F16-A81E-
> 84DE299C9472%40web.de.

Larry Masinter

Sep 21, 2021, 12:46:03 PM9/21/21
to Tim Bradshaw, Interlisp (Xerox Lisp environment)
The nice thing about the Raspbian Pi setup is the standard configuration of X
does pixel-doubling on 4k displays. The raster fonts we have (at leased the
DEFAULTFONT fixed-width font) is tiny otherwise.

The mailing list archives are
https://groups.google.com/g/lispcore
https://groups.google.com/g/interlisp

There's one so-far pi-only bug report
https://github.com/Interlisp/medley/issues/54
> --
> https://Interlisp.org for more details
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/interlisp/0B6AB012-D2F6-4BA5-AAA1-
> 9838F79F7FCD%40tfeb.org.

Michele Denber

Sep 21, 2021, 1:03:18 PM9/21/21
to inte...@googlegroups.com
I have it running on both a RPi3 and Rpi4.  Very very easy.  Just
download the repo, compile, enjoy.  It runs very well and much faster
than any D machine ever did.

            - Michele