Aeries API PowerShell Script for Clever Summer School Data Management

Jesse Geron

May 10, 2023, 7:06:00 PM5/10/23
to Interfacing With Aeries
Hello Aeries API Community!

I'm happy to share a new PowerShell script that I've developed, which aims to help schools using the Aeries Student Information System to better manage their summer school data when integrating with Clever, a rostering and Single Sign-On (SSO) solution.

The script leverages the Aeries API to extract summer school data and exports it to CSV files. This allows schools to pause Clever sync during the summer while maintaining access for spring students and teachers, and keeping spring term data alongside the summer school information.

Here's the link to the GitHub repo:  https://github.com/suhsdit/Aeries-Clever-Summer-Data-Extract

Key features:

  1. Extracts summer school data using the Aeries API
  2. Formats the data according to Clever's specifications
  3. Exports data to CSV files for manual upload to Clever
  4. Offers a solution to manage summer school data without impacting regular school year data in Clever
I hope you find this script helpful and that it makes summer school data management more accessible for everyone in the Aeries community. Please check out the repo, give it a try, and feel free to provide feedback or ask questions in the repo's Issues section.

Looking forward to your feedback and hearing about your experiences with this script!
Message has been deleted

Jesse Geron

May 12, 2023, 11:32:40 AM5/12/23
to Interfacing With Aeries
I'm trying to clarify with Clever that the formatting is good. It sounds like only the sections.csv data may be required, but I think it would need sections and Enrollments. They also told me that Custom Schools cannot be added, yet they allow for a csv upload for schools. The information being relayed to me by Clever support regarding the supplementation of school data with summer data has been very inconsistent to say the least. I'll post an update when I know more.

Jesse Geron

May 15, 2023, 1:24:25 PM5/15/23
to Interfacing With Aeries
I just got off my call with Aeries to clarify a few things and will be changing the code and instructions in the repository to reflect our discussion. But the main takeaways are this:
  • You do not want to upload any duplicate student or teacher accounts in Aeries
    • I plan on rectifying this by downloading the student and teacher data from the data browser on our pause date and comparing summer school extracts against that as to only include new students and teachers in those csv files.
  • You cannot custom upload a summer school, but if you have it, it likely is already in Clever if you have an existing API sync between Clever and Aeries.
  • You would custom upload the complete Sections.CSV and Enrollments.CSV and then the students/teachers CSVs that only include new students and teachers.
  • Subsequent uploads of custom data will overwrite previous uploads.
I'll make another post here when I have that fixed in the repo.

Jesse Geron

May 17, 2023, 11:44:32 AM5/17/23
to Interfacing With Aeries
Okay, I've updated the scripts in the repository. In theory it all should work. The Clever representative who I spoke with said the export data otherwise looked good and should be good to go.