Getting Aeries API Info from G-Suite Script

Aaron Braskin

Dec 14, 2021, 3:11:16 PM12/14/21
to Interfacing With Aeries
I am a classroom teacher just getting started trying to use the Aeries API to import information using G-Suite (Google Sheets Script specifically).

Does anyone have a tutorial or example I can look at?

Camden Iliff

Dec 14, 2021, 4:38:43 PM12/14/21
to interfacing...@googlegroups.com

The Aeries API is designed for integrations with 3rd party systems that require broad access to data in Aeries.  It does not provide user-specific content.  But if your district grants you access, you should be able to modify anything in the Aeries Gradebook through the Aeries API or through the OneRoster API.  The Aeries API is much more powerful, but it is more complicated than OneRoster.  Generally, there is a PowerShell project on GitHub that could help you out: https://github.com/AeriesSoftware/Posh-AeriesApi.

Camden Iliff

Vice President of Product
Aeries® Student Information System

Aeries Logo

770 The City Drive South, Suite 6500
Orange, CA 92868

Office: (888) 487-7555

www.aeries.com
c...@aeries.com

Dec 14, 2021, 7:49:44 PM12/14/21
to interfacing...@googlegroups.com
My district is willing to grant me access but at this time all I’m trying to accomplish is the simplest “proof of concept” test.

I am only trying to read data, not change anything so I think this should be a relatively simple process.

Google Scripts support JSON requests which I’ve been able to successfully test for a public API that doesn’t require a key.

So far all of my attempts to apply the same code pattern to the public Aeries instance fails due an authorization error.

I understand the OneRoster and PowerShell offer another mechanism for accessing Aeries but I believe what I need to do can be accomplished with straightforward JSON queries.

All I need is one simple working example to get going.

Is there anyone at Aeries that can help me get this going? (I can share the example code I’m using)

Mr. Braskin<abra...@mbusdapps.org>
Department Chair / Computer Science Teacher
Technology & Engineering Department
Mira Costa High School

On Dec 14, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Camden Iliff <c...@aeries.com> wrote:

[...]

Camden Iliff

Dec 16, 2021, 6:20:37 PM12/16/21
to interfacing...@googlegroups.com

You are probably missing the "AERIES-CERT" value from your request header, or you are using an incorrect value.  The Aeries API requires that you provide a valid value in every request.

https://support.aeries.com/support/solutions/articles/14000113681-aeries-api-building-a-request