Secrets Exposed!

Ivy

Sep 8, 2007, 1:54:24 AM9/8/07
to Interactive Drama Façade Forum
This is the best stageplay I've ever played on Facade.

FACADE STAGEPLAY
Sat Sep 08 01 44 48 2007

TRIP
Where are the new wine glasses?

GRACE
What for?

TRIP
That should be obvious!

GRACE
Oh God, Trip, don't turn this into a big production, please! --
(interrupted)

(Doug knocks on the front door.)

(Doug knocks on the front door.)

TRIP
Uhp, he's here!

GRACE
What?! You told me it'd be an hour from now!

TRIP
No, he's supposed to be here now!

GRACE
God... Trip!

(Trip opens the front door.)

TRIP
Doug!!

TRIP
Hey! God it's been so long since we've seen you! How are --
(interrupted)

DOUG
Hey man.

TRIP
Great!

TRIP
Great!

TRIP
Alright!

TRIP
Wow, it's so great to see you after so long.

DOUG
how ya doing?

TRIP
Y -- yeah, come in!

TRIP
Uh, it'll be just a sec while I go get Grace...

TRIP
(unintelligable arguing)

GRACE
No, no, here we are!

GRACE
Doug,

GRACE
Hi! How are you? Oh it's so nice to see you, it feels like it's been
forever! -- (interrupted)

DOUG
Hi

GRACE
H-mmm (happy smile sound)

(DOUG hugs grace.)

GRACE
By the way, you look fabulous!

(DOUG hugs grace.)

GRACE
So come on in, make yourself at home!

TRIP
Whoops, I need to go close the door. -- (interrupted)

TRIP
I'm gonna fix us some drinks.

(Trip closes the front door.)

PHONE
** RING **

PHONE
** RING **

DOUG
phone

GRACE
Oh, I'll get it --

TRIP
No, no no no, our friend's here, we can let the answering machine get
it.

PHONE
** RING **

PHONE
** RING **

TRIP
What? Wait, wait, let's just wait for the answering machine...

ANSWERING MACHINE
** click **

ANSWERING MACHINE
You've reached the fabulous new home of Grace and Trip. Leave us a
message!

DOUG
drinks?

ANSWERING MACHINE
** beep **

TRIP
Oh, yeah, I'm gonna fix us some drinks in a sec!

ANSWERING MACHINE
Travis, are you there, it's your mother, I haven't heard from you and
Grace in a while,

TRIP
Ah, you'll be the first to sample from my new set of imported drinking
glasses.

ANSWERING MACHINE
I'm just calling to find out if you've settled in to your new
apartment, that's all...

DOUG
cool

ANSWERING MACHINE
Give me a call if you're not travelling, I know you're travelling a
lot these days.

TRIP
Yeah!

GRACE
Anyhow, Trip's parents... They're sweet people, really down to earth
--

ANSWERING MACHINE
Okay, that's all, bye Travis.

TRIP
Uhh, no, they're ignorant, they don't know 'black tie only' from...
black bean chili.

GRACE
(frustrated sigh)

DOUG
ha ha

TRIP
So! Drinks!

TRIP
What would you like?

TRIP
How about a martini?

DOUG
bourbon

TRIP
Uh, well, you know what, I'm just going to make you a martini.

GRACE
No no,

GRACE
Doug, how about something simple, like a nice glass of chardonnay?

TRIP
Oh come on...

DOUG
vodka

TRIP
Oh yeah, great idea, great idea!

TRIP
Aha! Great! Drinks comin' right up!

TRIP
(quiet humming)

GRACE
(little sigh) Trip has always been partial to winning his friends over
by way of the mixed drink.

(DOUG picks up the advice ball.)

(The advice ball reads, "Never")

(DOUG puts down the advice ball.)

TRIP
Grace, I assume you want your usual... 'a lovely, very cold glass of
Chardonnay'.

GRACE
Well, actually, I would like a glass of Chardonnay.

TRIP
Of course.

GRACE
(big sigh)

GRACE
Oh God, Doug, I hope you didn't come here tonight to be
entertained...

TRIP
What?

TRIP
Chardonnay, come and get it.

DOUG
what

GRACE
(little sigh)

TRIP
Anyway...

TRIP
Grace, come on, that kind of statement is not helpful...

GRACE
Trip, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing in front of our friend --

TRIP
Disagreeing?! We're NOT disagreeing. We're, we're not.

TRIP
(frustrated sigh) Sheejus.

TRIP
Here's your drink!

(DOUG picks up a player's drink.)

TRIP
Huh, I think I forgot how well you two get along...

TRIP
Doug, I -- I want you to look at this photo from our recent trip to
Italy...

DOUG
ok

(Trip sips his Trip's drink.)

GRACE
Oh yes, heh, go look at Trip's Italy photo...

(Grace sips her Grace's drink.)

(DOUG sips his player's drink.)

GRACE
Doug, come over here and sit on the couch with me.

DOUG
nice

TRIP
N -- no, no, heh -- w -- wait...

DOUG
looks good

TRIP
Now, now, Doug, -- (interrupted)

TRIP
Oh, um...

GRACE
That's kind of you, I'm sure Trip's happy to hear that.

TRIP
(clears throat)

TRIP
Now, now, Doug, in one word, what does this picture make you think
of?

GRACE
Oh, please, Trip, don't put our friend on the spot like that.

DOUG
romance

TRIP
Yes, that's it! Love! Romance! I knew you'd guess it!

(DOUG sips his player's drink.)

GRACE
(short petulant sigh)

TRIP
Uh! Everything in Italy was so romantic... the scenery, the food, the
wine... oh, and the art! The art! Isn't that right Grace?

GRACE
(little sigh) Doug, I liked your answer better.

DOUG
the art is wonderful.

TRIP
Y - yeah -- uh, no, uh -- it was supposed to be romantic!

GRACE
And I missed my friend's art show.

(DOUG sips his player's drink.)

TRIP
What? Who is this?

GRACE
A friend from college had a gallery show of his new paintings that
weekend. (little sigh)

TRIP
Oh, okay... It's not like there was tons of art we could have seen
in Italy, if you had just left the hotel room...

GRACE
(frustrated sigh)

DOUG
ha ha

TRIP
Okay, well, you and I are getting along better tonight than I first
thought, heh heh!

(DOUG sips his player's drink.)

GRACE
You know, ever since we got married, Trip is forever trying to get me
to buy new furniture, and redecorate,

GRACE
and -- and it's true, I kind of enjoy it but...

(Trip sips his Trip's drink.)

TRIP
Well, yeah, it's great, everybody loves it when they come in and see
our latest decoration scheme! -- (interrupted)

DOUG
yes

(Grace sips her Grace's drink.)

TRIP
Ah, yeah, Doug, I knew you'd like it.

TRIP
See Grace you don't realize how good this all looks -- and, and how
good you look!

GRACE
(annoyed sigh)

DOUG
yes

(DOUG sips his player's drink.)

GRACE
Oh, what? ... I, uh, I want to ask you...

GRACE
But, Doug, you have to look at this room, and admit it looks
terrible.

TRIP
Grace --

GRACE
I mean, look around, this room is... it's hideous!

TRIP
Grace, no, no, don't say that!

(DOUG puts down a player's drink.)

(DOUG picks up the brass bull.)

TRIP
Oh, heh, that brass bull, that's a -- a gift from my business contact
in Barcelona --

GRACE
What is it doing out here? Didn't I ask you to put that away?

TRIP
Uh, yeah, I will, later, after our friend leaves.

GRACE
(frustrated sigh)

(DOUG puts down the brass bull.)

GRACE
So, about my decorating...

GRACE
You know at work I waste all day designing ads for apartments with
perfect views like this,

GRACE
and then it makes me think, I want to design it into my apartment...

TRIP
This view makes me feel like a million bucks.

DOUG
yes

TRIP
No no, no no, see, Grace loves expensive furniture, she...

TRIP
grew up in this really nice house, with really nice couches and fancy
dishes, and, and she can't live without this stuff.

GRACE
(little sigh) So I just had to have this view... -- (interrupted)

DOUG
oh

GRACE
Uh, no, a view of trees would be better, right?

GRACE
(frustrated sigh)

DOUG
no

GRACE
What?

TRIP
Aha, I knew it, I was right Grace, you're the only one unhappy with
your decorating --

GRACE
But, uhh, no, decorating is not... not...

TRIP
Grace, come on, you're so good at it!

DOUG
yes

TRIP
Just like you're good at your job -- you design great magazine ads!
Can't you see that? -- (interrupted)

TRIP
You should stick with what you're good at. Trust me on this.

GRACE
(frustrated sigh)

GRACE
Uhh, you are impossible...!

GRACE
I'm never happy...

GRACE
Trip, our whole marriage, you're so... controlling!

DOUG
happy?

TRIP
What, what's that, what are you saying, what?

TRIP
(little impatient sigh) Doug, can you believe this?

DOUG
happiness is the key.

TRIP
Okay, yeah yeah, I hear you, alright?

TRIP
Goddamn more real...

TRIP
I like my fancy drinks, okay? I like the good things in life, does
that make me a bad person? Their just drinks!

GRACE
Oh, my God...!

GRACE
You and your damn parents...

GRACE
Sometimes I feel like our whole marriage is just for show! I don't
know what you really feel!

TRIP
Oh, Jesus...!

DOUG
chill

GRACE
Okay, you know what, Doug,

GRACE
I'm going to ask you something.

TRIP
Grace --

GRACE
Trip, let me ask our guest a question.

DOUG
ok

GRACE
Doug, yes or no...

GRACE
If there was a thing about yourself you didn't like, but your husband
or wife likes it, is it still okay to hide it?

TRIP
What?

GRACE
I mean, if your spouse _likes_ something -- (interrupted)

DOUG
no

TRIP
What...?!

TRIP
Oh, alright... yeah...

TRIP
Grace, you won't let me be who I want to be! Who -- who I am! This
is who I am now! Goddammit!

GRACE
Oh, that's great Trip!

GRACE
Uhh! Yeah, good, go away!

GRACE
I don't want to look at you!

GRACE
Oh, God!!

DOUG
i'm here

GRACE
uhh!

GRACE
What? What are you saying?

TRIP
What? Are you talking about me in there?

GRACE
What do you care?

(DOUG picks up a Grace's drink.)

(DOUG puts down a Grace's drink.)

GRACE
Doug, I -- I'm sorry... this is a disaster...

(DOUG hugs grace.)

TRIP
Doug, in what you said before, about marriage... I think that shows
us something about Grace.

GRACE
Oh, so we're talking about me, are we?

TRIP
What?

TRIP
Grace, we don't -- we don't have to do this... things are okay, we can
just --

GRACE
Doug, I can't stand the pretending anymore... I can't take it!

DOUG
no

TRIP
No?

TRIP
No, Grace, we can... I mean, come on, don't make it out to be so
bad...

GRACE
Uhh...

TRIP
Doug, give me some advice here...!

GRACE
Look, let's not focus on just me or you, let's talk about us.

TRIP
You know, I can't say Grace never acts loving towards me...

TRIP
Doug, She's all over me at our goddamn parties, trying to look good
in front of the guests!

DOUG
Grace, do you love Trip?

TRIP
Ah!

GRACE
What...? Are you trying to say... I might not love Trip?

TRIP
What?!

GRACE
Oh, god, I -- is that... is that what you think is happening here?!

TRIP
That's, that's -- that's what you think?!

DOUG
Do you two love each other?

GRACE
Ah!

TRIP
What?! Are -- are you trying to say... I might not love Grace?!

GRACE
What?!

TRIP
Jesus, I -- is that... that's what you think is going on here?!

GRACE
Is -- is that really what you think?!

DOUG
therapy.

TRIP
Ah!

GRACE
Th -- uhh... therapy? uhh... you think we need therapy?

DOUG
yes

TRIP
Huh!

GRACE
Yes?

TRIP
Ah, thank you, just saying that helps us...

GRACE
Doug, (frustrated sigh)

DOUG
what

GRACE
Trip, it's your fault -- ten years ago, freshly married and just out
of college,

GRACE
you convinced me to go into advertising, instead of art!

TRIP
What?

DOUG
no

GRACE
No?

TRIP
Ah, you disagree, thank you, that should help Grace! Grace, I did not
stop you from becoming an artist! I'm trying to help you get your life
together!

GRACE
Uhh...

GRACE
Okay, goddammit, I can't do this anymore, just stop!

GRACE
Doug, I know what you're hinting at...

DOUG
ok

GRACE
about me...

GRACE
about art...

GRACE
Do you really want the honest truth? Huh?

DOUG
yes

GRACE
Trip?

TRIP
Yes...!

GRACE
Doug, I've actually been paying close attention to what you've been
saying tonight.

GRACE
You've really been pushing me.

GRACE
It makes me wonder if you're really my friend...?

DOUG
yes

TRIP
Grace!

GRACE
Doug, Stop interrupting me, let me finish!

GRACE
Doug, I've got to ask you -- yes or no...

GRACE
Do you really think that...

GRACE
praising Trip...

GRACE
and worst of all,

GRACE
suggesting that Trip doesn't love me...

GRACE
but especially what you said about hiding things from your spouse...

GRACE
that it's all supposed to make me realize something about myself?

DOUG
yes

GRACE
Alright.

GRACE
I painted this.

DOUG
cool

TRIP
Bullshit.

GRACE
I am an artist, Trip, fuck you.

TRIP
You've been secretly painting? When --

GRACE
Everytime you go on a goddamn business trip, I paint.

GRACE
So don't EVER give me any more of your 'you could never be an artist'
crap!!

TRIP
Jesus --

DOUG
boring

GRACE
uhh...

TRIP
uhh...

DOUG
therapy, people

TRIP
Jesus...!

GRACE
Doug, I --

TRIP
I'm going to give you the truth too, Grace.

GRACE
What?!

TRIP
Grace...

TRIP
uhh...

TRIP
I'm -- I'm just... af -- afraid of... of being poor.

GRACE
Poor? Trip, we have so much! What do you --

TRIP
It never feels like enough!

DOUG
what?

TRIP
As a kid... it -- it was... My family was always on the edge.

GRACE
So you weren't rich, but --

TRIP
We even spent six months in a shelter once.

GRACE
Oh my God...!

TRIP
All of this stuff...

DOUG
damn

TRIP
Is a kind of protection from that ever happening again.

DOUG
therapy, man.

TRIP
uhh...

GRACE
uhh...

GRACE
Oh my God...!

TRIP
Okay, Doug, Grace, I have one more thing to say...

GRACE
Again?!

TRIP
Grace...

TRIP
uhh...

TRIP
I forced you to marry me, didn't I.

TRIP
When I proposed to you, in front of your parents, on Christmas Eve,
and...

DOUG
what?

TRIP
I knew you wouldn't be capable of saying no.

GRACE
You manipulated me.

TRIP
Yes.

GRACE
And I never did anything about it.

GRACE
And here we are.

TRIP
uhh...

DOUG
get therapy, people.

GRACE
uhh...

GRACE
Oh my God...!

GRACE
This changes everything...

DOUG
no

TRIP
Yeah.

GRACE
And no, Doug, please...

TRIP
You... you really have to be an artist...

DOUG
what

GRACE
You... you're terribly afraid of being poor.

TRIP
I manipulated you into marrying me...

GRACE
No, I -- I let it happen...

DOUG
please get help.

TRIP
Doug, I --

GRACE
Doug, we...

TRIP
Look, uh, we need to talk...

GRACE
Yeah.

TRIP
And no, Doug, please, it's okay...

TRIP
Doug, Thanks for coming over, you... I think you helped us.

DOUG
ok

(Trip opens the front door.)

DOUG