Sponsored Panel for CCCC 2024

kanders

Apr 21, 2023, 4:36:39 PM4/21/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well this spring. I am writing to get a conversation started about a sponsored panel at CCCC 2024. At this past business meeting, folks had tossed out ideas about ChatGPT (or other generative AI chatbots) and teaching writing. Another idea was that we could have a panel that might appeal to a broad audience at Cs and bring in more group members. I could imagine a fresh considerations of how and why to teach intellectual property in the classroom might be appealing.

Please respond with your ideas and I will be happy to submit whatever panel the group decides they would like to do. The deadline for entering the panel into the Cs system is May 9th.

Best,
Kathy Anders

Clancy Ratliff

Apr 21, 2023, 6:40:05 PM4/21/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for putting this together! I’m working on a panel proposal in environmental rhetoric with some other folks.

I’m happy to help with our meeting proposal! We’ll need to be clear that we’re requesting a shorter meeting time on a Thursday evening, when the SIGs meet.

--

---

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor
Assistant Department Head
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Clancy Ratliff

Apr 25, 2023, 9:41:41 AM4/25/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I might be interested in the sponsored panel after all. Anyone else?

On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 3:36 PM 'kanders' via Intellectual Property Caucus <intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Jim Purdy

Apr 25, 2023, 10:46:50 AM4/25/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, pur...@duq.edu
Dear Clancy, Kathy, and all,

Me, too. I'm currently working on a study of journal/publisher policies surrounding ChatGPT and generative AI that could fit with the sponsored panel. What are others thinking?

Sincerely,
Jim

Apr 25, 2023, 1:00:31 PM4/25/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, pur...@duq.edu

I’m working up a proposal with some colleagues for a local conference for a discussion of how to integrate generative AI into the writing classroom. I may be able to repurpose material for our sponsored panel. (From another perspective, as Academic Integrity liaison for my College I am currently working with colleagues who have received AI generated papers.)

Re our other gig, the business meeting: per usual I’m willing to speak to Legal and Legislative Developments if we are going to follow the usual format for that proposal.

Kim

May 4, 2023, 8:10:51 PM5/4/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi all,

It sounds like there is some interest around a ChatGPT panel. If that is the case, I would be happy to put that forward. I am also working on the business meeting proposal. If anyone has anything they would like to add there, please let me know by this Sunday.

Best,
Kathy

Mike Edwards

May 5, 2023, 10:42:25 AM5/5/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi all,

I'm sorry for not contributing more to the conversation—my son's mom is having a long-term mental health emergency, so I'm suddenly and unexpectedly (and happily) back to full-time dad status.

I'm certainly very interested in a LLM panel. I'd see my contribution as bringing together some of the more technical stuff on GANs, LLMs, and machine learning with some of the 1980s–90s authorship theories (Fish, "How to Recognize a Poem"; Knapp & Michaels, "Against Theory") and neglected cognitive-process comp scholarship from the 1980s.

Best,

Mike

Mike Edwards

May 5, 2023, 10:49:21 AM5/5/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
I'm also a little dismayed that one of the two members from CCCC for the CCCC/MLA task force is publicly very focused on LLMs as a plagiarism danger, and I think that perspective is somewhat limiting and fails to see the work the IP caucus has done on plagiarism and APD systems like Turnitin. I'd suggest that it might be good to foreground the applicability of the IP caucus's work to public concerns about plagiarism and LLMs, as well as reminding a CCCC audience that work by Becky Howard, Amy Robillard, etc. is still highly relevant in digital contexts.

Jim Purdy

May 5, 2023, 12:55:08 PM5/5/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus, pur...@duq.edu
Dear Kathy,

Thank you for coordinating the proposal. Please let me know what you need from me to propose!

Jim

May 5, 2023, 1:10:39 PM5/5/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com, pur...@duq.edu

Thanks, Clancy!

Monday, May 8 I’m available between 10:30 a.m.— 3:00 p.m. Eastern time.

Jim

Mike Edwards

May 5, 2023, 4:40:27 PM5/5/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Monday 5/8 10:30 AM–5:30 PM Eastern (7:30 AM–2:30 Pacific) work for me.

Gainer, Kim

May 5, 2023, 4:46:41 PM5/5/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

I might be available Monday from 2-3.

Kim

May 5, 2023, 5:57:17 PM5/5/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi everyone,

Clancy, thank you for getting the Google Doc started. I've scheduled a Zoom meeting for Monday at 2:00pm Eastern, 1:00pm Central time. Here is the invitation:

Anders, Katherine C is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Anders, Katherine C's Zoom Meeting
Time: May 8, 2023 01:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://tamu.zoom.us/j/96186726738?pwd=RU1ZUXVKM25PaUwzakFwYjJFcVNpZz09

Meeting ID: 961 8672 6738
Passcode: 929842
One tap mobile
+13462487799,,96186726738# US (Houston)
+16694449171,,96186726738# US

Gainer, Kim

May 8, 2023, 9:39:05 AM5/8/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Turns out I likely will be on the road at 2, but if I may be able to join in via cell phone from the passenger seat. In any event, I’ll pass on some notes about the panel some colleagues and I are proposing for a local conference that have relevance for our panel.

Best,

Kim

May 8, 2023, 4:17:05 PM5/8/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey y'all,

Keep up the great work; I'm not sure I'll be at CCCCs again this year. I'll keep you in the loop, if this ends up being something I can support.

Kindly,
tra

Timothy R. Amidon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor | Department of English | Colorado State University
Associate Professor | Environmental and Occupational Health | Colorado School of Public Health
CSU Presidential Leadership Fellow | Medical and Scientific Communication | Office of the Vice President for Research
Fellow | Faculty Institute for Inclusive Excellence | Office for Inclusive Excellence
Co-Editor | Praxis and Topoi Sections | Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, & Pedagogy
Pronouns | he, him, his

Colorado State University acknowledges, with respect, that the land we are on today is the traditional and ancestral homelands of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute Nations and peoples.

kanders

May 8, 2023, 8:24:58 PM5/8/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi all,

I am including the text for the business meeting proposal this year. We discussed last year changing the time and format of the meetings for this year, so we are going to have a one-hour time slot on Thursday afternoon/evening this year. This means that rather than roundtables, we will have a smaller discussion and can plan for a future structure. This year we will also be sponsoring a presentation session on Generative AI as well.

Best,
Kathy

Title: CCCC Intellectual Property in Composition Studies Standing Group Business Meeting

Description: The Intellectual Property in Composition Studies Standing Group invites conference attendees to its open annual meeting to discuss intellectual property and writing topics such as copyright, fair use, text ownership and authorship, remixing, open sharing, appropriation, and generative AI. During this meeting, the Standing Group will consider how recent developments in intellectual property conversations and policies intersect with composition, rhetoric, and writing studies. Participants will talk about how generative AI could influence IP policies related to instruction and assessment, student intellectual property, and how to teach IP in the classroom. Instructors, administrators, graduate students, and librarians are encouraged to join in.

Following these discussions, the Standing Group will consider actions to be taken for the following year, including discussing vision and long-term projects. The Standing Group welcomes all CCCC attendees to this meeting, including those who have never attended a prior meeting. It also provides mentoring opportunities for junior scholars and graduate students.

Based on the discussion at the 2023 meeting, the Intellectual Property in Composition Studies Standing Group would like to request a Special Interest Group Thursday evening time slot (1 hour) instead of the previous longer Wednesday time slot. We request a room that can accommodate approximately 30 to 40 people with round tables set up for discussion and an overhead projector.

Date Requested: Thursday SIG Business Meeting Slot

Clancy Ratliff

May 8, 2023, 10:16:30 PM5/8/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU Kathy!! You have been an outstanding chair in a time of transition for the standing group! I hope you will all be able to come to the meeting and to the sponsored session.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor
Assistant Department Head
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Kim Gainer

May 9, 2023, 9:27:48 AM5/9/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
I had volunteered for the panel but I don't see my name listed in the proposal.

kanders

May 9, 2023, 10:12:58 AM5/9/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi all,

It looks like this year's CCCC system is acting a bit glitchy, and I can still edit the pending submissions. I'm not sure how long this will last because the system notice says I have until 9:00am EST on Thursday, May 9th. We might have a bit longer to play around with the proposals to make sure that we have everyone listed where they would like to be!

Best,
Kathy

kanders

May 9, 2023, 10:17:26 AM5/9/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi all,

Another update. It looks like I can edit only the business meeting proposal, and not the concurrent panel. I'm going to see if there's a workaround and we can go from there.

Best,
Kathy

Jim Purdy

May 9, 2023, 10:39:04 AM5/9/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I second Clancy's sentiments, Kathy. Thanks so much for your work in getting the business meeting and sponsored panel proposals submitted!
May 9, 2023, 12:07:06 PM5/9/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Kim, I was able to add you as a respondent. We don't have a proposal from you, and we couldn't add any more characters to the proposal count anyway. That's the best I can do.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor
Assistant Department Head
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

--

---

Gainer, Kim

May 9, 2023, 12:45:34 PM5/9/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Clancy, yes, respondent will be great. Thanks!