CCCC Meeting Info & Query

Kim Gainer

Mar 2, 2022, 6:51:15 AM3/2/22
to Intellectual Property Caucus
1. Sponsored Panel

Cultural Exchange and Cultural Appropriation: Decolonizing Intellectual Property
will begin streaming Wed, 3/9: 12:00 AM EST. Format: each participant uploaded their videoed contribution, plus transcripts for videos to supplement/replace closed captioning.

2. Business Meeting

When will our business meeting take place? Will it be sometime the afternoon of Wednesday, 3/9, as it has been traditionally? What is the Zoom link?

Stedman, Kyle D

Mar 2, 2022, 11:03:07 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Kim and all,

I can’t speak for the IP standing group, but I can say how CCCC communicated about the Sound SIG (since I’m co-chairing it this year and submitted the proposal). We were asked to come up with our own meeting date for the SIG business meeting on a day NOT part of the traditional CCCC days (so not Wed-Sat, iirc). We then filled out an online form where we said when we WOULD meet and gave a link to a Google Form I created to get emails of people interested in coming. Then CCCC will post our date and our sign-up sheet on their site, and we’ll host the business meeting on our own, for the people who sign up.

Today is actually the last day to submit to that CCCC form.

I guess I kind of assumed IP would be the same way, but perhaps not, since it’s a different kind of group.

Not sure if that helps….

Kyle

--

---

Nielsen, Alex C.

Mar 2, 2022, 11:05:59 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Kyle,

I have received no documentary guidance on this and was not the submitter for the proposal proper. If somebody can get the form to me, I will complete ASAP. I just messaged Clancy that I have received scheduling for a semi-emergent surgery and am attempting to schedule around the session.

Do you have a link and contact for the SIG form?

Very Respectfully,

Alex C. Nielsen, M.A.

Capabilities Laboratory Coordinator

Virginia Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation Center (VMASC),
Old Dominion University (ODU)

Mar 2, 2022, 11:18:37 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Here’s part of an email I got on 1/11, since I was the one to submit the SIG info. But I suggest you don’t submit it quite yet, until we hear from whoever DID submit the IP proposal, just to make sure we’re not in some different boat.

Email text:

CCCC 2022 Special Interest Group Business Meetings

As noted in the recent communication about the shift to a virtual convention, we will again adjust how Standing Group and SIG business meetings are scheduled and held this year. We will not be able to host these meetings within the convention platform. Instead, if you plan to hold a virtual business meeting, we ask that you schedule this outside of the CCCC 2022 virtual convention dates (so NOT on the dates of March 9–12) using your own virtual meeting account (e.g., Zoom, Webex). We will collect information about the business meetings and share this on one webpage on the CCCC website, which can then be shared with the CCCC audience via social media and email in the coming months. Please complete this form by Wednesday, March 2, 2022, so that we can share the information about your event. The form asks you to identify your group and to include a brief abstract, the date and time of your meeting, and how participants can sign up to attend.

Gainer, Kim

Mar 2, 2022, 11:27:00 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

I’m not one of the group’s officers, but I was the one who uploaded the business meeting proposal (because people were having access issues and my sign-on was magic for some reason). So, yep, we are ‘in that boat’ referred to in the email Kyle just forwarded. So it looks like Alex should go ahead and submit the form today.

Kim

Mar 2, 2022, 11:31:29 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Gainer, Kim

Mar 2, 2022, 11:34:42 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Alex, proposal is attached. CCCC form asks for “brief abstract (50 words) about this group and its business meeting.” You might be able to quickly adapt a few sentences from this section of the proposal:

The Standing Group on Intellectual Property in Composition Studies (CCCC-IP) invites to its open annual meeting scholars and teachers concerned with issues of authorship, copyright, fair use, remix, access, and ownership and use of intellectual property (IP). At this practical and action-focused meeting, the Standing Group will discuss the current status of teaching and research on authorship, copyright, and intellectual property in the field of rhetoric and composition. Participants will meet in roundtables to discuss topics such as remix and participatory culture, plagiarism and authorship, students' rights to their intellectual property, open access and open source publishing, and best practices in teaching students and instructors about IP. Attendees may choose to participate in one or more of four roundtables:

Kim

Dr. Kim D. Gainer

Professor of English and Associate Dean,

College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences

Radford University

Radford, VA 24142-6940

Hemphill Hall 3405

540-831-5154

IP SG Proposal for Spring 2022.docx

Nielsen, Alex C.

Mar 2, 2022, 11:36:34 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Perfection, thanks!

Anybody have express preferences or blocked dates?

Sent: Wednesday, March 2, 2022 11:34:37 AM

Thomas

Mar 2, 2022, 11:53:43 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I will be able to attend so long as it isn't from 1-3pm on Friday!

Thomas

Clancy Ratliff

Mar 2, 2022, 11:59:11 AM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I teach Tuesday/Thursday 2:00-3:15 central time, but most other days and times I can make work.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor
Assistant Department Head
Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Nielsen, Alex C.

Mar 2, 2022, 1:19:16 PM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We’re going to submit for EoD (5pm Eastern) on the Monday following the event to provide maximum flexibility for folks. I am submitting now. Thanks for your support and feedback!

Very Respectfully,

Alex C. Nielsen, M.A.

Capabilities Laboratory Coordinator

Virginia Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation Center (VMASC),
Old Dominion University (ODU)

EXTERNAL to ODU: This email is not from an ODU account. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Kim and all,

Nielsen, Alex C.

Mar 2, 2022, 1:29:27 PM3/2/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

In the meantime, please feel free register at the link below. I will coordinate the hosting of breakout rooms for the roundtables to support our proposed structure ASAP.

https://forms.gle/EUCz4z3YPpxYamRe9