2023 Meeting Recap

tjohnpi...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2023, 12:37:40 PM2/20/23
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi folks,

I hope everyone is doing well and is back from C's. For those who didn't manage to make it, I'd like to offer a brief recap of what we discussed and what we made plans to do moving forward.

First, we drafted a resolution on generative language models and ChatGPT that Clancy has already shared, and we had some productive discussion on this topic. I encourage everyone to read the resolution and feel free to use language from it when talking to other teachers/administrators. We didn't have enough time (or at least we thought we didn't) to have a round of asynchronous feedback/revision, but if you have thoughts and ideas then please do post them to the group.

Second, we had a discussion on the status and future of the standing group. The short of it is that we would like to get more activity within our standing group, and also some fresh faces that we can explore new topics with. However, we are all also quite busy, so we need to find ways to pursue those goals within our means. We came up with the following ideas (that I can recall, at least):
  1. Changing the standing groups name to something broader that may attract more interest, and that represents the range of approaches to IP that we have. Here I think Kim has a list of words that we drafted that could be a part of this name--could you share those?
  2. Putting together a sponsored panel for next year that showcases our work and that invites interest across the larger C's community.
  3. Changing the meeting time to be sometime later in the conference (and possibly reducing the time), so that we can organically invite people who come to our sponsored panel to the standing group meeting.
  4. Pausing the IP annual this year and possibly issuing a final, 30-year celebration/reflection annual for next year's C's (this one is more out of labor necessity than outreach, as our current editor is quite busy).
With these ideas in mind, I'd like to solicit feedback from the standing group on these points, especially from those that couldn't make it to the meeting or that did and have had a chance to collect more thoughts. It would be nice to get some activity going and some opinions moving around, especially on points #1 and #2.

Finally, I would like to congratulate Katherine Anders, our newest Senior Chair. Congrats Kathy!

Thomas

Stedman, Kyle D

Feb 20, 2023, 1:24:39 PM2/20/23
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Thomas, and congrats, Kathy! I’m excited to see how our identity and purpose evolves in upcoming years.

In response to Thomas’s helpful 4-point list, I’ll say in this brief email that I’m in favor of changing the name and moving to a more conventional 1-hour Thursday SIG/Standing Group time. Of course that will change the nature of the group, with less time to Get Things Done, but I think it reflects our reality: that when few people are there, we can’t Get Much Done anyway.

I’ll wait for Kim’s notes to comment on which words I most want in a new name, and I’ll defer to others for ideas for a sponsored panel—except remember, unless I’m mistaken, that standing groups can have a panel OR A WORKSHOP—so perhaps a Wednesday or Saturday workshop would be a way to creatively pull in new people eager to do writing and brainstorming and sharing of ideas together in a longer format, which we’d then distinguish clearly from the “business meeting” during the regular TSIG time. (This is what the Creative Nonfiction SIG does, by the way: a “let’s do some writing together” workshop and a “let’s strategize about our shared interests” business meeting.)

Also, I just sent this to Thomas, but it might be useful for others to see, too: I have a Drive folder where, a few years back, I saved some documents surrounding my tenure as senior chair in 2014, including some caucus proposals and especially importantly, the bylaws we submitted as part of our standing group application back then. If/how we change the group’s identity, we’ll want to revise those bylaws as part of what we submit to CCCC—maybe as part of the report of the 2023 meeting we send, or maybe as part of the 2024 proposal…?

Hope your post-conference real-world “hangover” is going well,

Kyle

--

---