2021 CCCC IP Annual: Call for Contributions, due March 1, 2022

Karen Lunsford

Oct 18, 2021, 2:21:50 PM10/18/21
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,  Here's the first call for contributions to the CCCC IP Annual!  I wanted to run it by y'all first before I circulated it more broadly.  If you already know of a topic that you'd like to cover for this year, please do send me an email at klun...@writing.ucsb.edu
If you have further suggestions for the list of potential topics, please share them.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you,
Karen
Karen Lunsford, UCSB

--------------

Hi everyone,

I am writing to invite you to contribute an article to the 2021 CCCC Intellectual Property Annual. If you are interested in contributing, please email me at klun...@writing.ucsb.edu so that I can coordinate entries.

As you may know, the CCCC Intellectual Property Caucus sponsors an annual that reviews the Top Intellectual Property Developments of each year. Most articles are ~2,000-5,000 words, and they inform teacher-scholars about current IP issues. The annual is posted to the CCCC website, and it is archived by the eScholarship library. Please refer to the latest issue for examples, https://cccc.ncte.org/cccc/committees/ip/2019-2020-developments

Several potential topics/trends for 2021 are listed below, and you are encouraged to focus on specific examples. You are also very welcome to propose a topic. Contributions will be due March 1, 2022, and the annual will appear in June 2022. Again, please email me about the topic(s) you would like to cover so that I can coordinate the contributions.

In addition, if you have published an article, book, or digital scholarship regarding IP this past year, please send me the citation information and a brief abstract (150 words) to be included in a list of publications.

With thanks, Karen Lunsford

-------

Artificial Intelligence and IP --  use of AI in enforcement, status of AI-developed products, etc.

Challenges to Work-for-Hire -- e.g., Horror Inc. v. Miller, a Second Circuit Court case in which Victor Miller argued that his screenplay for Friday the 13th was done as an independent contractor rather than as work for hire.

Counterfeit Covid-19 Products -- violation of patents, impact on education, response to counterfeits, etc.

HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service -- legal model for allowing emergency access to copyrighted, digital materials; future plans

Music Artists versus Politicians using their music in political settings (e.g. Eddy Grant versus Donald Trump over the use of “Electric Avenue”)

Sci-Hub versus Many Lawsuits in 2021 -- its status and future

Transformative Open Access Contracts, a.k.a. “Read and Publish” contracts (e.g., with Elsevier, Wiley, Cambridge University Press, etc.)  Many possible angles/topics here.

Plagiarism at the Voice of America, https://www.voanews.com/a/usa_voa-launches-internal-review-plagiarism-complaints/6206356.html

Weaponization of Copyright (many examples in 2021) -- using ambient music to prevent videos from being posted; claiming copyright in academic materials to disrupt courses

Note-- the West Liberty University plagiarism case is already taken

--
Karen Lunsford, PhD
Associate Professor of Writing

Gainer, Kim

Oct 19, 2021, 7:34:33 AM10/19/21
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I’d like to work with this topic: Weaponization of Copyright (many examples in 2021) -- using ambient music to prevent videos from being posted; claiming copyright in academic materials to disrupt courses.

Kim Gainer

Sent from my iPad

Karen Lunsford

Oct 19, 2021, 12:02:04 PM10/19/21
to intellectual-propert.
Perfect, Kim!  Let's stay in touch about which examples you choose.   Best, Karen

--

---