Re: Digest for intellectual-property-caucus@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Mike Edwards

May 23, 2022, 10:49:21 PM5/23/22
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'd very much welcome being a part of the panel, since my scholarship has lately been revisiting the labor theory of value, and I just started playing with GPT-3's language-generating and -imitating capabilities a couple months ago. My angle would be to revisit the Cambridge Capital Controversy over the transformation problem (Marx vs. Sraffa) in the context of what students and faculty are expected to produce and own from their labor (viz. Bruce Horner) when the means of production (writing) is changing due to technologies like GPT-3. Some of it will likely include suggestions for improving Asao's ideas about labor contracts, since he invokes the labor theory of value as sort of supporting what he's advocating for, without really digging into any of the scholarship on the LTV after Marx.

Best,

Mike

On May 23, 2022, at 19:14, intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Thomas <tjohnpi...@gmail.com>: May 23 02:07PM -0400

Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'd meant to get this email out a bit
earlier, but the end of the semester was quite a rush.

At our annual meeting this spring, we discussed a potential theme of an IP
sponsored panel--IP, Labor, and the Open Movement--but to my recollection
did not finalize presenters. So I am reaching out to see who would be
interested in speaking on our panel at the 2023 CCCCs conference in
Chicago. I'd be happy to write the proposal, so all I would need is an
expression of interest and then later a couple of sentences describing what
you would like to present. We could alter the theme as needed, depending on
interest and fit.

If you're interested, please let me know by Friday (tp...@mit.edu) so that
we have time to put together some language for the proposal. Happy to chat
about it further, too.

Thomas