4Cs Update

Kim Gainer

Apr 16, 2024, 11:26:09 AMApr 16
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Folks,

Sorry if you receive this twice. I'm not sure an earlier message went through.

Kathy Anders chaired our 4Cs business meeting and will be reporting to 4Cs. (Kathy, maybe you could post it here as well.)

I will be senior chair, and Mike Edwards will be junior chair.

First order of business: planning for next year's sponsored panel.

Call for proposals at this link: https://cccc.ncte.org/cccc/call-2025

Convention theme: "Computer Love": Extended Play, B-sides, Remix, Collaboration, and Creativity

Extended list of Area Clusters at this link: https://cccc.ncte.org/cccc/conv/clusters.

Please go to those links, and then lets get a thread started here about how our sponsored panel can fit into the conversation.

Best,

Kim

Cubbison, Laurie

Apr 18, 2024, 1:55:31 PMApr 18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

For the sponsored session, I think a session on training data and IP in terms of the large language model would be good. In a sense, this is the next stage of the Turnitin problem.

Dr. Laurie Cubbison                                 Associate Chair

Professor                                                         Department of English

Box 6935                                                          lcub...@radford.edu

Radford University                                     To schedule appointments:

Radford VA 24142                                      https://calendly.com/lcubbiso/weekly-availability

Apr 18, 2024, 1:55:36 PMApr 18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Clancy Ratliff

Apr 18, 2024, 2:04:20 PMApr 18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
That's fine with me; I think we should include legal challenges to LLMs as well in case someone wants to do a presentation on that.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Stedman, Kyle D

Apr 18, 2024, 4:55:35 PMApr 18
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

I love this idea, giving us a chance to add our particular expertise to this ongoing conversation (which will of course have lots of other pedagogy-centered conversations happening at the conference).

It’s not, though, an area I feel ready to speak to. So I’ll cheer and support from the side, as always!

Kyle

May 13, 2024, 11:23:43 AMMay 13
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Based on Clancy, Kyle, and Laurie's suggestions, here is a CFP for our Standing Group, cannibalized from the model Clancy shared. I'll send out the call for participants in the business meeting shortly.

Call for Proposals

Intellectual Property and “‘Computer Love’: Extended Play, B-sides, Remix, Collaboration, and Creativity”

CCCC Sponsored Panel | Intellectual Property Standing Group | April 2025 | Baltimore, MD

The Intellectual Property Standing Group is pleased to invite individual or panel proposals for our sponsored panel at CCCCs in Baltimore that respond to the spirit of the conference theme: “‘Computer Love’: Extended Play, B-sides, Remix, Collaboration, and Creativity.” We are interested in proposals that examine the challenges or opportunities faced by students, educators, and administrators as they navigate developments in intellectual property, especially in the context of GAI. Proposals might examine the pedagogical implications of student utilization of GAI or of faculty incorporation of GAI into course or assignment design. Proposals might also examine legal challenges to LLMs that may have implications for the nature and extent of GAI’s impact on education. These suggestions are meant to provide inspiration and not to limit proposals. We welcome individual proposals as well as complete panel proposals.

Proposal submission timeline

  • Monday, May 20: Proposals due to the SG by midnight (email as Word document to kga...@radford.edu)
  • Monday, May 27. Notifications about decisions regarding proposals sent
  • Friday, May 31. CCCCs proposal deadline

Proposal suggestions

  • Situate panel within current scholarship about intellectual property
  • Follow 4Cs proposal guidelines regarding length of panel proposals, etc.

Questions? Contact one of our officers:

Clancy Ratliff

May 16, 2024, 12:32:02 PMMay 16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Has this been shared out yet? If it hasn't, we may want to adjust the timeline a little, maybe have proposals due to us on Wednesday, May 22. How does that sound?

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Gainer, Kim

May 16, 2024, 12:36:09 PMMay 16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Clancy,

Was there some way to share it out besides the Google group? Some sort of 4Cs platform? Sorry I didn't know that. And yes, adjusting the timeline would be fine. Even Friday, May 23, would work.

Best,

Kim

May 16, 2024, 1:38:53 PMMay 16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Maybe Traci Gardner would be able to post it on WPA-Announcements. Thanks!

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Gainer, Kim

May 16, 2024, 3:32:11 PMMay 16
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Laurie Cubbison is going to post it on WPA-Announcements.

Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2024 1:38 PM

Clancy Ratliff

May 27, 2024, 3:08:14 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Has there been any interest in the sponsored panel? If not, I can probably make my idea work for it.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Gainer, Kim

May 27, 2024, 3:16:23 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
So far no proposals for the panel, just expressions of interest, so let’s build on yours. Laurie Cubbison might want to be a panelist, depending on the topic.

For the business meeting, I plan to upload language we’ve used previously, but I do need names of people who want to participate in some capacity.  I’ll enter my name and Mike Edwards, of course, but need to hear from others.

Kim

Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 3:07:33 PM

Cubbison, Laurie

May 27, 2024, 3:27:02 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I’d wanted to do something with the suits over training data, but I could also do something about teaching students to use AI critically.
Sent from my iPhone.

On May 27, 2024, at 3:16 PM, Gainer, Kim <kga...@radford.edu> wrote:

 NOTICE: This email originated externally. It is not from a Radford University account. Use caution responding, opening attachments, or clicking links.

Clancy Ratliff

May 27, 2024, 3:29:36 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I can be part of the Standing Group Meeting.

Clancy Ratliff, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of English
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
http://culturecat.net/portfolio/

Jim Purdy

May 27, 2024, 3:34:57 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Kim,

Thank you for organizing. My topic doesn't fit with the sponsored panel this year, but I'd like to be part of the business meeting.

Thank you,
Jim

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 3:28:56 PM

Gainer, Kim

May 27, 2024, 3:38:31 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Call for proposals read, “We are interested in proposals that examine the challenges or opportunities faced by students, educators, and administrators as they navigate developments in intellectual property, especially in the context of GAI. Proposals might examine the pedagogical implications of student utilization of GAI or of faculty incorporation of GAI into course or assignment design. Proposals might also examine legal challenges to LLMs that may have implications for the nature and extent of GAI’s impact on education.”

See spaces for three potential categories for panelists in that language:

pedagogical implications of student utilization
Pedagogical implications of faculty utilization
Legal challenges to LLMs

Sent: Monday, May 27, 2024 3:28:56 PM

Cubbison, Laurie

May 27, 2024, 3:41:17 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps a pedagogy round table that emphasizes the IP issues involved in AI.
Sent from my iPhone.

On May 27, 2024, at 3:38 PM, Gainer, Kim <kga...@radford.edu> wrote:

 NOTICE: This email originated externally. It is not from a Radford University account. Use caution responding, opening attachments, or clicking links.

Karen Lunsford

May 27, 2024, 8:17:06 PMMay 27
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kim,
I am part of another formal panel (re: the Wayfinding project), but I would like to be part of the business meeting.

Re: a discussion table. My thinking lately aligns with work in makerspaces/crafting as rhetoric. I've been informally tracking questions of copyright, AI-generated images and patterns, and creativity in online venues (websites, Facebook pages, Amazon) dedicated to embroidery.  AI images of embroidery, for example, present impossible-to-do samples of hand embroidery, yet they generate revenue in these venues because the 'embroidery' looks so amazing that the images go viral. Discussions over IP, defining real embroidery, the discouraging effect of these fake images on folks new to the craft, and so on then ensue.  As Jim and I found in our IP book, there are copyright laws and, even more importantly, there are interpretations of (presumed) copyright laws that govern interactions among crafters in these spaces. I'm interested in the policing and self-policing re: IP that members of these communities engage in. I haven't started a formal study yet, and I'm stretched very thin through next year, but I would like to discuss the topic with anyone interested.

Thank you for organizing, Karen

--
Karen Lunsford, PhD
Associate Professor of Writing

Stedman, Kyle D

May 28, 2024, 10:34:19 AMMay 28
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I’m planning to attend the business meeting, but I think that’s all for me this year.

But on the topic of discussion tables: with the new format (just an hour in the evening, when everyone is hungry for dinner, with business to do AND topics to discuss), I wonder how much discussion-tables-y we can really get. I almost wonder if something more like a series of whole-group discussion topics makes more sense—perhaps with people volunteering to lead 5-minute conversations on a topic, giving us an update on things we ought to know and inviting discussion.

Perhaps in practice that’s the same thing as how it’ll really turn out in reality, but it seems worthwhile to say so now, just so we’re on the same page?

Good stuff,

Kyle

May 28, 2024, 11:38:38 AMMay 28
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
I think you are right, Kyle. Brief updates/conversations on key topics, with the whole group, would work best. Unless we recruit a lot of people to attend the business meeting, we won't have enough people for separate tables anyway.

Kim