Standing Group Meeting Approved

tjohnpi...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2022, 1:09:47 PM10/3/22
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Hi all,

Our Standing Group Business Meeting has been approved by CCCCs. Pasted below.

I am so pleased to tell you that your proposal, Intellectual Property in Composition Studies Standing Group Business Meeting, has been accepted for the 2023 CCCC Annual Convention, taking place February 15–18 in Chicago, Illinois (I know—it’s super early this year!). If you submitted proposals for more than one session, we’ll send you an email message for each proposal.

Please know that the health and safety of members, attendees, educators, and students are our first priorities. We continue to monitor developments with COVID-19 and its variants, as well as the CDC recommendations; see our event policies at https://cccc.ncte.org/cccc/ncte-event-policies/. For now, we are planning for an in-person Convention with a virtual component. We are also holding 75 on-demand online sessions for presenters who are immune compromised or living with and/or caring for someone who is immune compromised as well as for adjunct and/or non-tenure track faculty who lack travel funds. We’ll be sending all presenters a separate email asking them whether they need one of these on-demand sessions. We’re asking folx to use the honour system and request a virtual session only if you fall into one of the indicated categories. If you do need to attend virtually, please know that the opening session and the keynote will be live-streamed. A small number of featured panels of emerging scholars will also be available virtually as well as in person. And, of course, the on-demand sessions will be available to you as well.

If you submitted an individual presentation, it will be combined with others to create a panel. The final session information will be available when we open the Speaker Ready Room for presenters. We will have more details, including session schedule, registration information, and access to the Speaker Ready Room where you will accept your invitation to present, in the coming weeks. Principles and best practices for preparing presentations that are accessible to all will be sent to presenters in a future email. See the Convention website at https://cccc.ncte.org/cccc/conv for the latest updates.

I can tell you right now about some features of CCCC 2023 that I hope you will be as happy about as I am. Our cultural event will be a performance followed by an open mic drag night. If you’d like to perform at the open mic, please send an email directly to me at fco...@uwaterloo.ca. We are also working to organize outings and additional opportunities for CCCC Convention attendees to connect with Chicago’s Indigenous communities and with Black, Latinx, and 2SLGBTQIA+ activists and artists. In addition to our usual vendors, this year’s exhibit hall will feature two booths for Chicago-based bookstores and vendor tables for Indigenous, Black, Chicanx, and 2SLGBTQIA+ artists, artisans, and jewelers.

This year, in addition to some awesome space for breastfeeding and childcare and a quiet room for neurodivergent folx, Muslim presenters and attendees will find a prayer room, directly across the hall from a washroom, equipped with prayer rugs for your use. Graduate students will find a room reserved for their use: to meet, prepare for sessions, and collaborate. Spaces are also available for DBLAC and for the identity caucuses to use throughout the Convention. The Hospitality Committee is working on a website and local guide that will help attendees find delicious food ranging from halal to kosher to vegan to soul, to pizza (cuz Chicago), to fine dining.

Okay, I know this is a lot but there’s one more thing I have to tell you. Members of the American Indian Caucus have been volunteering their time to help us think through how to centre the relationship between CCCC and the Indigenous peoples on whose lands we gather annually. As part of this effort, CCCC 2023 will feature pop-up writing centres staffed by undergraduate and graduate tutors, professional staff, and directors from the Chicago area and Michigan. These folx will be available to help presenters with their conference papers, workshops, and handouts (the way awesome writing centre tutors do) . . . and they’ll be undertaking in-depth specialized preparation to tutor presenters in the writing and speaking of land and water acknowledgements. CCCC 2023 writing centre volunteers will be able to take this knowledge back to their campuses to share, and so will you if you visit with them to do some learning yourself during the Convention.

Registration and housing for the 2023 CCCC Annual Convention will open later this year (all presenters and attendees are required to register); the rates are as follows:

Registration:

        CCCC/NCTE members: $205 ($240 after 1/18/23)

        NCTE members: $230 ($270 after 1/18/23)

        Nonmembers: $280 ($330 after 1/18/23)

        Part-time faculty, Retirees, Veterans: $105

        Students: $65

Hilton Chicago:

        $179 (single/double)

        $199 (2 double bed/2 bath)

Thank you, Thomas, for submitting your proposal. I was delighted by the number, range, and quality of proposals we received in response to the 2023 call. As difficult as it was to make final selections, I was filled with a renewed respect for my colleagues’ work as well as hope for the future of the field. I am so excited about what we may think, talk about, and do during and after CCCC 2023. I very much hope you will join us!

If you have any questions, please contact us by email at CCCCe...@ncte.org.

With warmest regards,

Frankie Condon, Program Chair