Problems with Mcafee Office 2000 Anti-Virus

Kim Roe (Papa Boner)

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
Just recently purchased McAfee Office 2000 for Win 95/98. Loaded the
fulle suite and from that moment on I experienced computer crashes,
netscape, e-mail, and other lock-ups. Using the un-install utilities
that came with the software worsened matters. Using Corntol Panel
un-install rmoved most of the files and components, but this suit gets
into you system and doesn't want to leave. Had to mannually remove a
bunch of files and corupted my Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Plus.
Another problem that arose is that random applications such as
MSPaint, PicPublisher would activate on its own after the Boot. Tokk
me approximately 5 hours to chase down all the files that this
software corupted my system with.

Had no previous visrus sontware on system when it was loaded. The
software itself would not function after loading. Registration
process was not automated and prevented some features not to work.
Update feature in the virus protector itself caused crashes and
lockups. "Oil Change" would not operate according to the setup or
operating manuel. It would just show an opening screen and fail.
Nuts&Bolts was a worse nightmare. The accompaning First Aid feature
would not work either.

Contacted Mcafee on the web site from my second computer. Many
support sections of the web site do not work. They open to a blank
page. Mcafee has made it very difficult to get assistance from the
site especially for someone without much experience. the site is more
designed to sell their more of their trashware than assist a customer
who has already been suckered.

Wrote Mcafee an e-mail:

Your software crashed my computer, locked up my netscape 4.7 and
crashed e-mail! had to do a partial tape restore to get my system up.
I had one hell of a time un-installing your office 2000 junk and
getting it out my computer. Had to manually un-install most of the
files. Had to mannually remove your mcaffee commands
from my windows system.ini. Un-install would not do it. Your files
were hidden like a cancer through my file system. Got the pun on the
ihook files. You had mehooked, hope you are proud and have a good
laugh on that. Nuts and Bolts turned my system into just that, nuts
and bolts. When I un-installed your software from the control panel
(add/deleat files) I lost fbmount.exe. Don't know where I will find
it or if I still need it. It also trashed my URLMON.DLL, and
SHWAPI.DLL. Don't know where I will find it or if I still need it. I
now have this wonderful little window when I boot up for Microsoft
Plus. Don't know where I will find it. Gota find a copy of that now.
Please give me some advice on this. I'm not a computer wizzard but I
know a little more than the average bear. A newbie will be ripping
their teeth out whith your trashware and have to spend their money on
having a technician remove you software and straighten out their
system..

I will post my difficulties on every news group I can find and
consumer group recommending stay away from your office 2000. Will
recommend everyone treat your software like a virus. You guys use to
be number 1. What happened? Will have to return your trash ware in
exchange for Norton. I should have stuck with them in the first
place. Lesson learned. Yall really messed up on this software suite.
You should be ashamed of yourselves! If you have the guts, give me a
call at 405-740-8946 or e-mail me back at gunr...@flash.net. I won't
curse you out. But if you are interested in product improvement,
which you better start being if you plan on staying in
business, you ought to call. I would be happy to tell you all my
problems, system info, software info etc, what ever you need from me
to help you out. If you don't contact me I will also post this
message along with a note concerning your apathy on every news group
and consumer group I can find to demonstrate your
lackadaisical support to customers. Get with it! Get that trash off
the shelf before you mess up someone elses machine.