Anyone have MON960 source code?

Eric Smith

Apr 1, 2024, 2:03:32 PMApr 1
to intel-devsys
There's source code for Intel's earlier NINDY monitor for the i960 (80960KB) floating around, but does anyone have source code for the later MON960? Searches turn up scanned documentation, but not the source code.

Eric

Al Kossow

Apr 1, 2024, 2:10:36 PMApr 1
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
On 4/1/24 11:03 AM, Eric Smith wrote:
> There's source code for Intel's earlier NINDY monitor for the i960 (80960KB) floating around, but does anyone have source code for the later
> MON960? Searches turn up scanned documentation, but not the source code.

is the pc 960 asm and c compiler 1.2 available?
a set of disks came in with some other things i received a week ago

what would the monitor have been a part of?

Jon Hales

Apr 1, 2024, 2:53:34 PMApr 1
to intel-...@googlegroups.com

Eric, Al

Is any of this relevant to your question?

I have had two manuals with disks on a shelf for several years.

The manuals are still as issued (i.e. shrink wrapped), so there's no possibility that I scanned them - but I could do so in a few days if they are of interest.

And of course image the disks as well.

A quick search suggests these documents are noted in the Intel Literature Guide 3rd Quarter 1992 (Order No. 210620-024 page 23). That's all I found.

Regards

Jon

Photos separated to keep below 8Mb limit. 1 message to follow with the third photo

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 at 19:50, Jon Hales <jonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Eric, Al

Is any of this relevant to your question?

I have had two manuals with disks on a shelf for several years.

The manuals are still as issued (i.e. shrink wrapped), so there's no possibility that I scanned them - but I could do so in a few days if they are of interest.

And of course image the disks as well.

A quick search suggests these documents are noted in the Intel Literature Guide 3rd Quarter 1992 (Order No. 210620-024 page 23). That's all I found.

Regards

Jon

483308-001_482752-001_MCS-96.jpg
485371-001_iC-96_Compiler.jpg

Jon Hales

Apr 1, 2024, 2:54:15 PMApr 1
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
Here's the third photo.

Jon
484431-001_MCS-96_MacroAssembler.jpg

Eric Smith

Apr 2, 2024, 2:57:46 AMApr 2
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM Al Kossow <a...@bitsavers.org> wrote:
is the pc 960 asm and c compiler 1.2 available?
a set of disks came in with some other things i received a week ago

No, only version 5.0 is available, which is too new to build the NINDY monitor.

what would the monitor have been a part of?

AFAIK, the MON960 sources were a separate SKU, not part of anything else.

Exectuable of MON960 would have been in EPROM on various eval boards.

Eric Smith

Apr 2, 2024, 2:59:37 AMApr 2
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

Those are without a doubt interesting, but the i96 (8096 family, later 80196 family) are microcontrollers unrelated to the i960 (80960) family.

Best regards
Eric

Jon Hales

Apr 2, 2024, 3:02:19 AMApr 2
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll do the scanning and disk imaging in any case - but not urgently.

Regards

Jon

Al Kossow

Apr 2, 2024, 7:27:36 AMApr 2
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
On 4/1/24 11:57 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 12:10 PM Al Kossow <a...@bitsavers.org <mailto:a...@bitsavers.org>> wrote:
>
> is the pc 960 asm and c compiler 1.2 available?
> a set of disks came in with some other things i received a week ago
>

> No, only version 5.0 is available, which is too new to build the NINDY monitor.

v1.2 uploaded to

http://bitsavers.org//bits/Intel/i960/

Eric Smith

Apr 2, 2024, 6:19:09 PMApr 2
to intel-devsys
I wrote:

AFAIK, the MON960 sources were a separate SKU, not part of anything else.

Looks like I was wrong about that. Quoting a MON960 manual:

MON960 is available as a separate product, and is also included in the CTOOLS software development toolset.  MON960 includes source code and ROM hex files for the evaluation boards identified in Chapter 2.

The copy of CTOOLS I've seen online did not include the MON960 sources, but it was not a pristine archive of distribution media.

Jon Hales

Apr 9, 2024, 10:59:50 AMApr 9
to intel-...@googlegroups.com
Eric

You may already be aware of this document: MON960 Debug Monitor User’s Guide Order Number: 484290-008 which is on Archive.org.

On page 3-8 there is this text:
"By default the source for MON960 is located at:
c:\intel960\src\mon960\common. You may use the pre-built version of MON960 there, or build a custom version."

However, the address indicated appears to be local and isn't found via the Wayback Machine.

A further search produced the page:

This includes a directory called mon960 - PDFs of directories COMMON and MYMON attached. Is this what you were looking for?

Another search produced: CVME965 SINGLE BOARD COMPUTER USER’S MANUAL (https://www.artisantg.com/info/Cyclone_CVME965_Manual.pdf)
on page 4-6: [...] Squall initialization is handled by Breeze; users whose code will need to access the Serial EEPROM on a Squall Module should consult the MON960 source code provided on the Companion Diskette.

[This presumably refers to a companion diskette with the document .... Those were the days].

Regards

Jon

Index of _afs_cs_project_cmcl_link.vcnectar_gnu960_src_mon960_common.pdf
Index of _afs_cs_project_cmcl_link.vcnectar_gnu960_src_mon960_mymon.pdf