American Psychology Association committee decisions about CE credit for Energy Psychology programs and their cognitive/brain processes

Phillip Warren

Jun 6, 2011, 3:01:23 AM6/6/11

Hi all, I thought the following was interesting vis a vis the battle with American Psychology Association (APA) committee decisions about CE credit for Energy Psychology/Medicine programs.

The article "Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults" describes the recent research on "liberal vs conservative" or "liberal vs authoritarian" people vis a vis how their brains function (conservatives have over developed and over active right amygdala cortex). [see the URL given below] They conclude "[G]reater liberalism was associated with increased gray matter volume in the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), whereas greater conservatism was associated with increased volume of the right amygdala....Conservatives respond to threatening situations with more aggression than do liberals ... [who] are [also] more sensitive to threatening facial expressions...[O]ur findings are consistent with the proposal that political orientation is associated with psychological processes for managing fear and uncertainty...[O]ur finding of an association between anterior cingulate cortex volume and political attitudes may be linked with tolerance to uncertainty. One of the functions of the anterior cingulate cortex is to monitor uncertainty...and conflicts. Thus, it is conceivable that individuals with a larger ACC have a higher capacity to tolerate uncertainty and conflicts, allowing them to accept more liberal views."

I thought it It would be interesting to apply this approach to the problem of those in the APA committee deciding on whether or not Energy Psychology is worthy of CE credit. Could we get them to have their brains probed?? (Probably not).

It would be even better to do this to the pseudo skeptics and their rant about Daryl Bem's paper: "Feeling the Future: Experimental Evidence for Anomalous Retroactive Influences on Cognition and Emotion" that is discussed by Dossey in "Why Are Scientists Afraid of Daryl Bem." Explore, May/June 2011, v.7, #3 pp 127-137 (see attached).

The article "Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults,"  Current Biology, 2011 April, pp. 1-4, is available at: http://jjjtir.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/political-orientations-are-correlated-with-brain-structure-in-young-adults.pdf

I wrote a paper "Cognition and Motivation" (available on my website http://www.REBprotocol.net ) which describes many aspects of cognitive styles as they impact various areas of life, one of which is attitude and belief formulation and change.

This issue "liberal vs conservative" or "liberal vs authoritarian" was reformulated by Milton Rokeach [(1960) The Open and Closed Mind, N.Y.: Basic Books] since he believed that the typical (and still common) approach of "liberal vs conservative/authoritarian " was too restrictive and loaded. Thus, I think a better approach is to use Rokeach's formulation since that's what it's all about. I don't see much acknowledgement of his more useful approach in contemporary debate.

The following information is taken from my paper pages 28, and 31-32. The chart comparing the Open vs Closed mindset is on page 33 (see my website).

Rokeach (1960) states in his discussion of the existing approaches to authoritarian beliefs: "What was...lacking was a theory that could tie together in a more general way the organization of belief with the organization of cognition." (p. 17) Further he states: "...a basic requirement is that the concepts to be employed in the description of belief systems must not be tied to any one particular belief system; they must be constructed to apply equally to all belief systems." (Rokeach, 1960, p. 6)

Rokeach writes "The belief system is conceived to represent all the beliefs, sets, expectancies, or hypotheses, conscious and unconscious, that a person at a given time accepts as true of the world he lives in. The disbelief system is composed of a series of subsystems rather than merely a single one, and contains all the disbeliefs, sets, expectancies, conscious and unconscious, that, to one degree or another, a person at a given time rejects as false." (Rokeach, 1960, p. 33)

In my paper ("Cognition and Motivation") I summarized that closed minded people would have these characteristics: They would strongly reject information which conflicted with their present information, treat the information as a unit and react to it on that basis, not notice points which were contradictory on their side, be ignorant of the counter arguments (forget or not see the point of the counter argument), be much affected by fear appeals, and be much influence by the source of the information. I think this captures APA and "pseudo skeptics" rather well.

The cognitive basis of the open-closed mind. "...the ability (or inability) to discriminate substantive information from information about the source, and to assess the two separately." (p. 60) "...in any situation in which a person must act, there are certain characteristics of the situation that point to the appropriate action to be taken...The same situation also contains irrelevant factors, not related to the inner structure or requirements of the situation...A basic characteristic that defines the extent to which a person's system is open or closed [is] ...the extent to which the person can receive, evaluate, and act on relevant information received from the outside on its own intrinsic merits, unencumbered by irrelevant factors in the situation arising from within the person or from the outside." (p. 57)

The formation of new belief systems. The essence of the difference between open and closed persons in the formation of new systems lies in the ability to synthesize rather than analyze. There are several variables that determine the ability to form new systems: (p. 398)

a. The ability to remember or keep in mind all the new parts to be integrated.

b. A willingness to "play along" or entertain new systems. (see the cognitive style called Tolerance for Unusual Experiences -- TUE -- described and discussed in my paper)

c. Past experience, which determines whether a particular system is, psychologically speaking, new or not.

d. Presenting new beliefs to be formed into new systems all at once or gradually. In closed persons the formation of new systems is facilitated when the new beliefs are presented all at once; the new beliefs do not have to be reconciled with old ones. In open persons it makes no difference.

e. The degree to which there is isolation within the belief system. The less intercommunication between individual beliefs the more the formation of new systems is retarded.

With this orientation our EP community (as well as all frontier research and thought) has a good idea of the problems we, and all other growing tip types, face.

I have a section on the "Arrogant Ignorance" mindset available on my website, specifically at http://www.rebprotocol.net/pseudoskepticism%20.htm. It contains information on extreme scientific resistance to frontier science and new thinking, corruption of science and scientists and pathological and pseudo skepticism.

Cheers?,

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge...Others just gargle.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Delta Life Skills & Radiant Energies Balance Website: http://www.REBprotocol.net
"Emotional Freedom is in Your Hands with REB"

The 5 Ps: Personal Pollution Protection and Prevention Programs for Toxins from
Chemical -- Electromagnetic -- Emotional/Cognitive sources

Phillip W. Warren, Zetetic Scholar, Ph.C., Professor Emeritus (Psychology & Music), Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Developer of the "Radiant Energies Balance"
Geezer (Cert. by H.O.G.). Psycho Wizard  +<;-} (blessed by CSICOPs).

Delta Life Skills
4459 52A St., Delta, B.C. Canada, V4K 2Y3;
Phone and voice mail: (604) 946-4919
US Mailing Address: PO Box 1595, Point Roberts, WA, 98281-1595
7.3 Dossey Why Are Scientists Afraid of Daryl Bem.pdf