Import tracks from network shares

Arnaud Ceol

May 17, 2021, 4:59:58 AM5/17/21
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
Hi,

Is it possible to import tracks from network shares (smb/cifs). The use case is the following: we want to be able to share sessions with colleagues in the same institute. For sensible data, having them on a https server would not be enough (we need authentication based on the central ldap/AD). All files are available on a cifs/smb file server, so I would like to use this path to create sessions loadable by anyone has the right permissions on tose files.

thanks,

Arnaud

Ann Loraine

May 17, 2021, 11:10:01 PM5/17/21
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
If the network files systems appear to native applications like ordinary files saved on the local hard drive, then it should be possible even now, I think. I'm not familiar with these network shares, so I'm not sure how to test them. Does the network file systems get mounted onto the user's computer?

I agree about https/http. Needing to set up a Web server when you already have a secure file system seems like a lot of extra work that would also be difficult and inefficient to maintain, because you would probably end up with a lot of files getting duplicated.

Is it possible to set up a test network that uses smb/cifs, maybe using AWS infrastructure? If yes, I was thinking we could try it out.