IGB Mac Ventura 13.5

Marisa Faustino

Aug 25, 2023, 6:03:15 AM8/25/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
Hello,

When i tried to install IGB on my Mac Ventura 13.5 I can just see in the top of my left corner of the screen "Integrated Genome Browser Installer" nothing more appears , what should I do ?

Marisa Faustino

Aug 25, 2023, 6:04:18 AM8/25/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk

I even tried an older version as i saw some suggestion in another conversation https://bitbucket.org/lorainelab/integrated-genome-browser/downloads/Zulu-IGB-macos-9.1.8.dmg

Nowlan Freese

Aug 28, 2023, 1:12:36 PM8/28/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
Hi Marisa Faustino,

I would be happy to help you with the IGB installation procedure.

If you are seeing the "Integrated Genome Browser Installer" in the top left then there should be a Setup window like the one below:

setup.png

If the Setup window is not appearing, then please try to re-download the installer from https://www.bioviz.org/download.html.The file should be called IGB_macos_current.dmg and should be about 155 MB.

When starting the installer, right-click and select Open.
Right-click IGB installer

Please let me know if this doesn't work. The installer is currently working on my Mac (Ventura 13.5.1), but I am on an older Intel based Mac. Does your Mac have an M1 or M2 processor?

Best,

Nowlan

Nowlan Freese

Sep 6, 2023, 4:04:06 PM9/6/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
Hi Marisa Faustino,

We have identified an issue with the IGB installer on M2 Macs running macOS Ventura 13.5.1. We are in the process of fixing the issue, but in the meantime I would recommend installing IGB on a non-M2 Mac.

Sorry for the trouble!

Nowlan

Youseuf Suliman

Sep 13, 2023, 7:35:32 AM9/13/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
I have an non-M mac (intel) but I'm experiencing the same "invisible" setup screen.

Youseuf Suliman

Sep 13, 2023, 7:43:21 AM9/13/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
I'm seeing something like this.

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 12.39.44.png

Nowlan Freese

Sep 13, 2023, 8:19:43 AM9/13/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
Which version of macOS are you running?

Youseuf Suliman

Sep 13, 2023, 9:23:56 AM9/13/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
13.5.1 (22G90)

Nowlan Freese

Sep 15, 2023, 2:18:52 PM9/15/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
We are working to identify the issue, but are having issues replicating the problem. The issue with the installer did occur on a colleague's M2 Mac running Ventura 13.5.1. However, when we tried it on our Macbook Air M2 running Ventura 13.5.2 the installer worked normally. We also tested on a MacBook Air with an M1 running Ventura 13.5.2 as well as an older Macbook Pro (intel) on Ventura 13.5.2 without issue.

We will continue to try to identify the problem causing the installer to become invisible/lock up. In the meantime, you can start IGB from the command line if you are comfortable with the terminal on your Mac:
  1. In a web browser, go to https://bitbucket.org/lorainelab/integrated-genome-browser/downloads/
  2. Download the file igb_exe-9.1.10.jar
  3. Using the Terminal, navigate to where the igb_exe-9.1.10.jar  was downloaded. On my computer it was in the Downloads folder.
  4. Using the Terminal, run the following command: java -jar igb_exe-9.1.10.jar
  5. You should see things loading in the Terminal, then IGB should start.
Note that you will need to have Java version 8 JRE or JDK installed on your machine.

Nowlan Freese

Dec 22, 2023, 3:45:14 PM12/22/23
to Integrated Genome Browser Help Desk
We are preparing a major update to IGB that appears to fix the issue on our Apple laptops. We will be releasing the new update sometime in January. If you would like to try the in development version now, I have included the link below. Please let us know if this works as we would love to have confirmation before the release.