Build Errs on Example Project/Core

nickt

Mar 17, 2009, 3:25:19 PM3/17/09
to instinct-general
Is the maven repository for functionaljava down/gone/replaced?
Whenever I try to use maven to build the example project I get errors
about being unable to resolve artifact fj-2.12.jar. If I go to the
url indicated (http://projects.workingmouse.com/public/functionaljava/
maven/org) I get a host not found error. Is fj the same as the
functionaljava jar that's included in instinct-core/lib/functional?

I also get build errors when trying to build the Instinct core project
from Ant. It blows up in the checkstyle task with zillions of errors
about the antlr.CommonAST and DetailAST:

[checkstyle] Can't find/access AST Node
typecom.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.api.DetailAST
<duplicated many times>
[checkstyle] /home/myuser/instinct-read-only/core/src/main/java/com/
googlecode/instinct/sandbox/composer/MethodImplementer.java:0: Got an
exception - java.lang.ClassCastException: antlr.CommonAST cannot be
cast to com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.api.DetailAST
<duplicated many times>

I did some searching around and it sounds like this is some kind of
issue with multiple versions of Antlr being on the classpath, but I
just see the one in checkstyle-all-4.4.jar, so I'm not sure what's
going on there. Maybe we should take the checkstyle task out of the
default project for Ant? I took the liberty of taking it out of the -
compile task dependency and now the default task runs fine.

If I try to build the core project in Eclipse, Eclipse complains about
com.googlecode.instinct.expect.state.matcher.ToStringableEither:
The member type Either.LeftProjection<A,B> must be qualified with a
parameterized type, since it is not static.
The member type Either.RightProjection<A,B> must be qualified with a
parameterized type, since it is not static.

I presume this is just something with the funky Java5 generics
(something like sticking <?> in there), but unfortunately I'm not
familiar enough yet to be able to spot it right away.

On an off-topic note, anyone had any experience with the Clover plugin
and Eclipse?

nickt

Mar 19, 2009, 9:28:51 AM3/19/09
to instinct-general
For that matter, I wouldn't mind trying out IntelliJ. Maybe that
"works" as-is on this?

Tom Adams

Mar 19, 2009, 7:24:28 PM3/19/09
to instinct...@googlegroups.com
Hey

> Is the maven repository for functionaljava down/gone/replaced?
> Whenever I try to use maven to build the example project I get errors
> about being unable to resolve artifact fj-2.12.jar. If I go to the
> url indicated (http://projects.workingmouse.com/public/functionaljava/
> maven/org) I get a host not found error. Is fj the same as the
> functionaljava jar that's included in instinct-core/lib/functional?

That's an old repo, which has since been removed, the new one is at:

http://functionaljava.googlecode.com/svn/maven/

We should update the example project.

> I also get build errors when trying to build the Instinct core project
> from Ant. It blows up in the checkstyle task with zillions of errors
> about the antlr.CommonAST and DetailAST:

Really? That's odd. Are you running it via the shell script? I believe
it needs some JARs in the bootstrap classpath of ant, hence the need
to run it from the shell script. You could probably add them to your
ant home lib directory, but that smells to me.

> If I try to build the core project in Eclipse, Eclipse complains about
> com.googlecode.instinct.expect.state.matcher.ToStringableEither:
> The member type Either.LeftProjection<A,B> must be qualified with a
> parameterized type, since it is not static.
> The member type Either.RightProjection<A,B> must be qualified with a
> parameterized type, since it is not static.
>
> I presume this is just something with the funky Java5 generics
> (something like sticking <?> in there), but unfortunately I'm not
> familiar enough yet to be able to spot it right away.

I remember some weird error with eclipse, something to do with a bug
in it's compiler. This may be it. I'll ask Sanjiv who did some eclipse
work on Instinct & see what he says.

> On an off-topic note, anyone had any experience with the Clover plugin
> and Eclipse?

Nope, sorry, I don't use eclipse.

Tom
--