How to use all processor cores in optimization?

sambitn...@gmail.com

May 31, 2019, 8:12:36 AM5/31/19
to Inspyred
I am running a multi-objective optimization using NSGA-II from Inspyred package. However, I need to run it real-time through a app front-end. The overall optimization is taking ~2 minutes which is very long for an app. Is there a way the operations can run using all processor cores and hence make it faster. I noticed it is not utilizing all the processors and just working through on one. Maybe this is a very naive question. But would love to get some perspective on this.

Aaron Garrett

May 31, 2019, 8:20:20 AM5/31/19
to Inspyred
You can use a parallel evaluator (like https://pythonhosted.org/inspyred/reference.html#inspyred.ec.evaluators.parallel_evaluation_mp) that will use all of the processors/cores that you specify. But depending on the problem, getting a solution can take a while. If you want it to be in real-time, then you might want to explore other ideas. For instance, you could have it run for a smaller population and number of evaluations, give an answer pretty quickly, and then let the user start from that answer to do it again if they want. However, that generally won't be as effective as having a larger population evolve for the same amount of time.

--
Aaron Garrett

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 8:12 AM <sambitn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am running a multi-objective optimization using NSGA-II from Inspyred package. However, I need to run it real-time through a app front-end. The overall optimization is taking ~2 minutes which is very long for an app. Is there a way the operations can run using all processor cores and hence make it faster. I noticed it is not utilizing all the processors and just working through on one. Maybe this is a very naive question. But would love to get some perspective on this.

sambitn...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2019, 2:56:35 AM7/22/19
to Inspyred
Thanks a lot Aaron. We are using parallel evaluation and working just fine. :)