rake script/install error "undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem::Dependency:..."

Shirl Hart

Feb 27, 2011, 4:30:43 PM2/27/11
to Insoshi
I used the ruby installer 1.8.7-p334, rubygems 1.5.3 and rails 2.3.8
and receive these error messages. I don't know how to proceed. Thanks
for any help.

C:\xampp\rails2_apps\insoshi>ruby script/install --trace
Creating empty files. Please ignore permissions error messages.
(in C:/xampp/rails2_apps/insoshi)
rake aborted!
undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem::Dependency:
0x3ca1dd8>

(in C:/xampp/rails2_apps/insoshi)
rake aborted!
undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem::Dependency:
0x3c98508>

(in C:/xampp/rails2_apps/insoshi)
rake aborted!
undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem::Dependency:
0x3c98520>

Evan Dorn

Feb 27, 2011, 6:36:29 PM2/27/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
I don't have an answer off the top of my head (and I'm running out the door so I can't dig into the code at the moment), but I can give you a tip on how to proceed.

script/install appears to be executing a bunch of rake tasks. Unfortunately, passing --trace to script/install won't trigger a backtrace showing in the individual rake tasks. so I would start by opening the install script and seeing the rake tasks, then running just one of them manually with --trace. (i.e. enter "rake some:task --track" where some:task is what gets run by the install script. Then you will actually get a backtrace which may help lead you to the problem.

It is *possible* that rubygems 1.5.3 is actually too new for the gems used in Insoshi, but I'm not sure of that. I'll try to test it soon.

Regards,
Evan

Evan Dorn, Ph.D.
CEO and Lead Developer
Logical Reality Design
http://LRDesign.com

Gerő Zoltán

Feb 27, 2011, 6:40:10 PM2/27/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
i only found gems 1.3.6 related posts, you probably didn't updatesd your Ruby or Gem or Rails, or it left some dependencies remaining. Using RVM is highly recomended. I suggest to remove all Ruby and all gems you used, then install RVM with Git, then install Ruby (or rubies then set default one), then gems you use. In Ruby 1.9 Rubygems is included, older versions exclude it.
bests,
Zoltan