Search crush -> Segmentation fault ruby & unknown data type

Natalie

Mar 15, 2010, 6:29:33 PM3/15/10
to Insoshi
Hi guys!

I installed Insoshi on Ubuntu and with each time I try to search user
that doesn't exist, the app is aboard...
and for each Segmentation fault appears in another place...

These are samples for Segmentation fault ruby:

/root/Apps/insoshi/vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/
routing/recognition_optimisation.rb:59: [BUG] Segmentation fault ruby
1.8.8dev
/root/Apps/insoshi/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:310: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.8dev
/root/Apps/insoshi/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:311: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.8dev

or unknown data type

/root/Apps/insoshi/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:310: [BUG] rb_gc_mark(): unknown data type
0x2e(0xaabccc8) non object ruby 1.8.8dev (2010-03-13) [i686-linux]
/root/Apps/insoshi/vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/
core_ext/module/introspection.rb:86: [BUG] gc_sweep(): unknown data
type 0x0(0xb6743f54) ruby 1.8.8dev (2010-03-13) [i686-linux]

what's wrong?

cheers,
Natalie

Evan Dorn

Mar 16, 2010, 2:56:50 PM3/16/10
to Insoshi
Natalie,

I could be wrong, but to me this problem doesn't look like it's caused
by the Insoshi code. A segfault in the Rails code implies something
more seriously wrong with the underlying Rails or Ruby infrastructure:
a Rails application should not be capable of causing a segfault.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you're using the
development release of Ruby 1.8.8, which I have never personally
tested with Insoshi or any other Rails project. Ruby 1.8.8 may not
be compatible with Rails 2.2.2 (which Insoshi uses) - all the errors
you give as examples are in the Rails code itself, not in Insoshi.

I would first try installing the latest stable release of Ruby 1.8.7
instead of Ruby 1.8.8dev and see if that makes the problem go away.
If it does, please let us know.

There's a possibility that Rails 2.3.5 is more compatible with Ruby
1.8.8dev. I am hoping to find time to upgrade Insoshi to use Rails
2.3.5 soon, but my day job is very busy at the moment - if anyone on
this list wants to take on the task of upgrading Insoshi to R2.3.5 I'd
be thrilled. :-) Just fork it on GitHub, work in the edge branch,
and issue me a pull request when all the specs pass.

Best,
Evan Dorn
Insoshi Maintainer

Natalie

Mar 17, 2010, 1:24:51 PM3/17/10
to Insoshi
Evan,

After I posted my msg I noticed that the crash is totally random
thing... not only while using search feature.

I agree it seems like it not caused as app, so I changed Ruby version
to 1.8.7 stable as you suggested (Rails version was fine one), but I
still have got the same problem...

I would think that it may be connected with the fact that I'm
developing on Ubuntu which is a guest system on Virtualbox, but this
problem has never appeared with other apps.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers,
Natalie