future of insoshi?

alfredo...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2009, 8:29:34 AM9/19/09
to Insoshi
From what I understand - it seems like development of the insoshi core
is no longer being pursued.
Am I correct in assuming this? From seeing various things on the
internets it seems like people are using this as a core for their own
development but with few/little commits to the core.

Should I expect this to be the case for some time or a permanent
feature of the code base?

A number of key feature sets have not been integrated into this code,
features that are available in other open source offerings.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Should we pursue development on
insoshi or move to other projects where our work will have greater
impact?

Best

Chip

Sep 22, 2009, 1:29:08 PM9/22/09
to Insoshi
I was also wondering about the future of this project/company. From
the 'radio silence' of the founders, I would say the project seems
pretty much abandoned. Sad... I would have expected more from a Y
Combinator company, but on with life.

If you are interested in a Rails Social Network, check out the
lovdbyless project. The project has plenty of recent activity
including a Ruby 1.9 / Rails 2.3.4 branch. (http://groups.google.com/
group/lovdbyless/browse_thread/thread/3dd8a4071b35cae1)

Best,
Chip

On Sep 19, 5:29 am, "alfredo.alme...@gmail.com"
Message has been deleted

Pedro Del Gallego

Sep 22, 2009, 1:50:44 PM9/22/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
> If you are interested in a Rails Social Network, check out the
> lovdbyless project.  The project has plenty of recent activity
> including a Ruby 1.9 / Rails 2.3.4 branch.  (http://groups.google.com/
> group/lovdbyless/browse_thread/thread/3dd8a4071b35cae1)

You also have Tog (http://wiki.github.com/tog/tog/installing-tog) and
community engine.

Tog looks good, I start developing on it, but it doesn't fit some of
the requirements.

--
-------------------------------------
Pedro Del Gallego

Email : pedro.de...@gmail.com

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira

Sep 22, 2009, 2:04:20 PM9/22/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, they did. Michael recently also responded that edge and Master are currently synchronized. Regardless, Insoshi is still a pretty solid starting point for a social network and I believe we can build our websites on the top of Insoshi and still share the progress on our own forks or somewhere else. Any thoughts?

Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira
7runs.com

Timothy Fisher

Sep 22, 2009, 3:18:18 PM9/22/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
I will be releasing yet another Rails based Social Networking framework into the open source community soon.  The project is called EngineY.  It is currently powering the Michigan Ruby Community site at: http://www.rubymi.org

You can find EngineY at http://www.enginey.com

Tim

Pedro Del Gallego

Sep 22, 2009, 4:40:04 PM9/22/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
> Yes, they did. Michael recently also responded that edge and Master are
> currently synchronized. Regardless, Insoshi is still a pretty solid starting
> point for a social network and I believe we can build our websites on the
> top of Insoshi and still share the progress on our own forks or somewhere
> else. Any thoughts?

IMO, the project need at least a manteiner, that will be responsible
to push the pull petition from other github users. Any thoughts?

Joaquin Rivera Padron

Sep 23, 2009, 10:38:36 AM9/23/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
hey there,
i've been working with insoshi for about a year or so, and even though I had no time to improve the codebase (sorry about that), I had a few insights in it.

I am making a memory effort here, so my points will not be mathematically accurate, they are at most feelings.
IMO:
- insoshi deployment posed some hurdles (regarding mainly the rsa_key and rsa_key.pub thing).
- found tests where not 100% useful, also they looked old-style and no cucumber at all there. You could stumble with risky edge cases. Most notable: you could gain session access for any user by simply typing an url in the browser. I wasn't (or the at the time teammembers) able to reproduce the issue, and then suddenly money was cutoff, so we moved along leaving the project improvements un-pushed (again sorry about that).
- difficulty to plug/unplug needed/unneeded functionality (**)
- the rake tasks for sample data and such were a bit alleatory

I guess anyone could take the responsability of being the maintainer, as long as that is ok with Michael, if not then do it parallel until it become ok, but I believe you need a good politics for allowing things in (tests, tests and tests) for merging, good documentation (for newcomers), and IMO the point marked with (**)

my 2 cents

cheers,
joaquin

2009/9/22 Pedro Del Gallego <pedro.de...@gmail.com>

--
www.least-significant-bit.com

Michael Hartl

Sep 23, 2009, 4:01:43 PM9/23/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Chip <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was also wondering about the future of this project/company. From
> the 'radio silence' of the founders, I would say the project seems
> pretty much abandoned. Sad... I would have expected more from a Y
> Combinator company, but on with life.

I explained in a previous message
(http://groups.google.com/group/insoshi/browse_thread/thread/ed75d55cc3946bd7?hl=en)
that Insoshi was shutting down because we were unable to secure
funding (we came close, and were in talks with a top venture capital
firm, but got rocked by the financial crisis). The Insoshi founders
had worked for more than a year with no income, and it was time to
move on.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Pedro Del Gallego
<pedro.de...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IMO, the project need at least a manteiner, that will be responsible
> to push the pull petition from other github users. Any thoughts?

I'm happy to say that we've recently found a maintainer for the
Insoshi open-source project; we just need to do a little work to
enable the transition (granting access to the GitHub account, etc.).
Look for an announcement some time in the next couple weeks.

Best,

Michael

--
Michael Hartl
http://michaelhartl.com/

Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira

Sep 23, 2009, 5:02:41 PM9/23/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Wow, Michael, that's great news! Looking forward to the announcement! BTW, I have just ordered RAILSPACE from Amazon, to try and figure out Insoshi a little better... ;)

Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira
7runs.com

Michael Hartl

Sep 23, 2009, 5:55:23 PM9/23/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
RailsSpace is horribly out of date, but I'm on the brink of announcing
its successor. Watch this space. :-)

Michael

Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira

Sep 23, 2009, 6:02:26 PM9/23/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Well, hope RailSpace still serves as a starting point for a RoR n00b... LOL... It had already shipped. :)

Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira
7runs.com

Michael Hartl

Sep 23, 2009, 10:57:00 PM9/23/09
to ins...@googlegroups.com
To get the best results reading RailsSpace, use the same version of
Rails used in the book:

$ sudo gem uninstall rails
$ sudo gem install rails -v 1.2.3

If Rails 1.2.3 seems hopelessly out of date---well, it is, but bear in
mind that the current version of Rails when we started the book was
Rails 1.1, which didn't even support REST, and migrations were still
brand new! Rails moves ridiculously fast, so any Rails app more than
about a year old will always show its age.

Michael

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Ricardo Matsushima Teixeira