Can't get Facebook Connect to work with Insoshi

Alex

Aug 11, 2010, 3:34:37 PM8/11/10
to Insoshi
Hi all, I've been trying for a few days now to make Facebook connect
work with Insoshi without success. It seems that no matter what I try,
the Facebook login buttons never render.

I followed the steps from this tutorial inside Insoshi's project:
http://madebymany.co.uk/tutorial-for-restful_authentication-on-rails-with-facebook-connect-in-15-minutes-00523

All the ressources I seem to find on the Web all points to one
solution but it did not work for me: specifying that we are using
jquery to the init_fb_connect tag, like this: <%= init_fb_connect
"XFBML", :js => :jquery %>

What is strange is that if I follow the same steps but outside
Insoshi's project, works like a charm. So, it seems something is
incompatible between Facebook Connect and Insoshi?

Anybody else has had luck with this? Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Thanks!

HeresTomWithTheWeather

Aug 11, 2010, 4:33:08 PM8/11/10
to Insoshi
i got facebook connect to work with insoshi. here's my fbconnect
branch:

http://github.com/austintimeexchange/oscurrency/commits/fbconnect/

however, i abandoned this branch because the api was too limiting. i
wanted to simply allow facebook-connected members of a deployed
insoshi site to be able to see each other on facebook. it seems like
it would have been desirable to allow those members, and only those
members, to join a facebook group for this purpose. however, there
was no api support for that. essentially, you can only make
associations with people inside of facebook. you're not allowed to
make associations with people outside of facebook. pretty kafkaesque.

cheers,
tom

On Aug 11, 2:34 pm, Alex <afolgue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I've been trying for a few days now to make Facebook connect
> work with Insoshi without success. It seems that no matter what I try,
> the Facebook login buttons never render.
>
> I followed the steps from this tutorial inside Insoshi's project:http://madebymany.co.uk/tutorial-for-restful_authentication-on-rails-...

Alex

Aug 13, 2010, 7:26:16 AM8/13/10
to Insoshi
Thank you very much, I'll check it out!

On 11 août, 16:33, HeresTomWithTheWeather

Thomas Blumenfeld

Aug 13, 2010, 7:50:57 AM8/13/10
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

Facebook new API now uses the OAuth2 protocole for Facebook Connect. You can simply use the oauth2 gem and create a OAuthController where you implement the 2 methods needed for OAuth authentication. (request + callback). Than in the callback method, you write some code to register or log in the user according to your app (like create a rails session). You can also use FBGraph to grab the Facebook data of your users.

2 advantages of using this approach:
 * you keep control on what's going on and it integrates easily with your app
 * you use the new Facebook API (OAuth2 and OpenGraph) which is powerful (and not deprecated)

If you're interested in this method I can be more specific about it.

Cheers
Thomas