Rails3 compatible?

gezope

Jan 28, 2011, 12:49:49 AM1/28/11
to Insoshi
Hi all,
is Insoshy compatible with Rails3?
Thanks,
gezope

Evan Dorn

Jan 28, 2011, 2:18:12 AM1/28/11
to Insoshi
Insoshi has not yet been ported to R3. I have vague plans to do so,
but it's an immense task and is relatively low on the priority list.

If you (or anyone in the community) would like to work on porting it
to R3, that would incredibly appreciated!

Evan

Gerő Zoltán

Jan 28, 2011, 2:43:59 AM1/28/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Hello, thanks for reply.

I really would like to help, but unfortunately I'm not an expert Rails developer yet. Can you send any plan or tasks list how to do that please? Here on in private.  Maybe I can give a try if I understand what to do.
Bests,
gezope

Evan Dorn

Jan 28, 2011, 1:11:01 PM1/28/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
If you want to try, I would start by downloading the app and making sure you can run it in rails 2.    Then, make your own fork of Insoshi on github, and work from that.

There are a number of things to consider when switching to Rails 3:  start with Ryan Bates'   excellent 3-part screencast series about performing the upgrade:

It will be a while just to get things working at all - a number of files have to be converted.   You'll need to upgrade the gems to recent versions; particularly rspec, which is really quite different in Rails 3.   Then you need to start running the specs and seeing what doesn't work anymore ... and fixing it, until all the specs work.  It's an iterative cycle that may take a while.

If you get to the point where you can run specs, ping me again; I can offer some advice on upgrading the code to match the specs, and upgrading the specs so that they run in Rails 3.

Best of luck!
Evan