Insoshi: Undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem

econohead

Mar 19, 2011, 9:36:04 PM3/19/11
to Insoshi
I am getting a similar msg to others when running script/install -
though everyone seems to be finding a solution without posting it; so
I need some help, please.

Ruby 1.8.7
Gems 1.6.2
Rails 2.3.5

Error:
(in /Users/macusers/Sites/insoshi)
rake aborted!
undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem::Dependency:
0x101d57440>

Gerő Zoltán

Mar 20, 2011, 5:35:48 AM3/20/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It seems a Gem dependency problem. First your Rubygems seems too new for 1.8.7 Ruby, it might be a problem (not sure).

Check if all versions of Gem dependencies for particular gems fit to run script/install.

If you are on *nix try RVM if on Win try tik. With this you can manage your Ruby and Rubygems versions. I'm sure your first problem with running it will be installing all the right versions of the gems. Inoshi was not upgraded to RoR3 (as I know at least). Means you probably have gems which are not old versions.

In README I see it needs mysql or pg gem (postgres) BlueCloth, rdiscount, image_magick. (I'm sure image_magick needs some additional libs on Ubuntu which are not gems and there must be something similar in other OSs)

In config/environment.rb it says it uses Rails 2.2.2:
RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '2.2.2'

and it uses these 2 gems:
config.gem 'chronic'

  config.gem 'BlueCloth', :lib => 'bluecloth'

When you install gems with RVM never use sudo. To install specific version of a gem do this: 'gem install <gemname> -v=<version_number>" for example: "gem install rails -v=2.2.2"

Good luck,
Zoli

Mat Johnson

Mar 24, 2011, 11:38:34 AM3/24/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
This was very helpful. I finally got around to tackling this, and it turns out I had to rollback my Rubgems to 1.3.5 to work  - hope this helps others! Now onto the few errors that remain.

Gerő Zoltán

Mar 24, 2011, 10:09:04 PM3/24/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Nice. Are you planning to upgrade insoshi to RoR3?
cheers,
Zoli

Mat Johnson

Mar 25, 2011, 12:29:55 PM3/25/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zoli-

I would like to, but first things first. Nearing completion on the old/current version, then onto modern times. I'm no expert however, so by the time I figure it out, it may be old again.

Are you doing anything currently on upgrading to R3?
-Mat

Evan Dorn

Mar 25, 2011, 12:50:04 PM3/25/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 25, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Mat Johnson wrote:
> Hi Zoli-
>
> I would like to, but first things first. Nearing completion on the old/current version, then onto modern times. I'm no expert however, so by the time I figure it out, it may be old again.
>
> Are you doing anything currently on upgrading to R3?
> -Mat

Upgrading Insoshi to RoR3 is on my to-do list, but it's pretty low priority behind paying work and the other 5-6 open source projects I'm involved with. I'm more than happy to provide advice and tips if anyone else wants to tackle it in the meantime, since I've done several other R3 upgrades recently. They're a hassle, but doable.

Evan
Insoshi Maintainer

Evan Dorn, Ph.D.
CEO and Founder
Logical Reality Design, Inc.
http://LRDesign.com

Mat Johnson

Mar 25, 2011, 9:13:53 PM3/25/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in attempting it, particularly with some guidance.

Gerő Zoltán

Mar 25, 2011, 10:35:03 PM3/25/11
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Me too, definitely! Started, but had problems with RVM and Ruby versions. As soon as I fix, will try it again. Any guadiance is more then welcome!
Hopre we can share the code, bests
Zoli

Kapil Dewade

May 12, 2012, 8:52:23 PM5/12/12
to ins...@googlegroups.com
Those who are facing "Undefined method `version_requirements' for #<Gem" error,Follow these steps, it worked for me!!
In command line
1. gem install rails -v=2.2.2
2. sudo gem update --system 1.4.2
3. gem install BlueCloth
4. sudo gem install ruby-openid -v=2.0.4
5. script/install
6. script/server

:)

Kapil Dewade