University studies + Krishna Consciousness, Inquiries Into the Absolute, Digest 393

ServiceTeam

Dec 15, 2012, 11:57:01 PM12/15/12
to Inquiries Into the Absolute
Digest 393, December 17th, 2012. Answers by His Holiness Romapada
Swami Maharaja
You are invited to send your questions to His Holiness Romapada Swami
at ma...@iita.info with the word "Question" included in the subject
line or submit your question at http://www.romapadaswami.com/?
q=feedback/Question.

University studies + Krishna Consciousness
``````````````````````````````````````````

773) When we are in a mood of surrender, is it possible to
spiritualize all activities that do not break the four regulative
principles? I ask because I am a student at a University, and am
seeking to engage in my studies with a mood of service. While it is
indirect service, what should be the appropriate mindset towards
secular schooling?

Answer: Yes. Not only is it possible to spiritualize, but it is the
very purpose and culmination of all branches of education and all
departments of human activity to be engaged in service to God. This is
explained by Narada Muni to Vyasadeva in Srimad Bhagavatam 1.5.22
(http://vedabase.net/sb/1/5/22/en). The purpose of all branches of
study is to glorify the Supreme Lord.

In the beginning one may not know exactly how to utilize these
different activities for the Lord's glorification. This spiritual
science needs to be systematically learned by careful study and
practice of Krishna consciousness. In the meanwhile, one can pursue
these activities as a matter of duty for self-purification, and in the
spirit of the following scriptural directions. Lord Krishna describes
in the Gita how by performing one's own duties one can worship Him:
(http://vedabase.net/bg/18/46/en) The opening chapters of Bhagavad-
gita, particularly chapters 3-5 detail how performance of such
occupational engagements in a dutiful, detached spirit, without sense
of doership and proprietorship, gradually leads one to the platform of
Krsna consciousness.

*************************
Previous questions and answers are available with subject
classification at http://www.romapadaswami.com/inquiries
Digests 1-242 are included as a PDF file at:
http://www.romapadaswami.com/Inquiries/IITA_full.pdf
Lectures: http://www.romapadaswami.com/audio
Brief biography of His Holiness Romapada Swami:
http://www.romapadaswami.com/HHRPS_bio

To (un)subscribe please email ma...@iita.info with the word (un)
subscribe in the subject.