The Surrender of Draupadi and Prahlada, Inquiries Into the Absolute, Digest 406

ServiceTeam

Jun 8, 2013, 9:33:33 PM6/8/13
to Inquiries Into the Absolute
Digest 406, June 1st, 2013. Answers by His Holiness Romapada Swami
Maharaja
You are invited to send your questions to His Holiness Romapada Swami
at ma...@iita.info with the word "Question" included in the subject
line or submit your question at http://www.romapadaswami.com/?q=feedback/Question.

The Surrender of Draupadi and Prahlada
``````````````````````````````````````

790) Draupadi is calling the Lord for protection and Prahlada Maharaj
was not calling but completely depending on the Lord whether He
protects or kills (maro bi rakho bi jo iccha tohar).

Which is the higher standard:
1) calling the Lord for protection or
2) having complete faith that He will protect us always?

Please clarify.

*Answer*: One of the six principles of saranagati (surrendering
process) is full confidence in the protection of Lord Krishna.
Helplessly calling out exclusively to the Lord for protection and
having full faith that the Lord is going to bestow His protection in
all circumstances are both on the same level.

In SB 11.2.50, Maharaja Nimi states that a devotee on the highest
platform of devotional service is one who has taken *exclusive*
shelter of the Supreme Lord.

“One who has taken exclusive shelter of the Supreme Lord, Vasudeva,
becomes free from fruitive activities, which are based on material
lust. In fact, one who has taken shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord
is freed from even the desire to enjoy material sense gratification.
Plans for enjoying sex life, social prestige and money cannot develop
within his mind. Thus he is considered bhagavatottama, a pure devotee
of the Lord on the highest
platform.”

Our devotional strength can be assessed by our ability to take shelter
of Krishna under every circumstance. Devotees who are mature in their
Krishna consciousness are always looking for an opportunity to
intensify their shelter-taking in the Lord. The moments of distress
offer great opportunities for a surrendered soul to strengthen his/her
loving relationship with Krishna. In such situations, whether one is
explicitly calling out to the Lord for protection or internally
awaiting Lord's protection, it is merely a circumstantial detail; but
because of reposing one’s exclusive faith in Krishna’s protection,
both the positions are equally great.

When Draupadi was initially attempting to hold on to her sari with one
hand while calling out to Krishna, her surrender was not considered
exclusive. However, when she threw both her arms up in the air,
calling out “He Govinda!”, that mood of exclusive shelter in Krishna’s
protection is the highest platform of devotional service. Reflecting
upon Draupadi’s mood of devotion, Krishna says, “When I was away from
Draupadi, she cried with the words, 'He Govinda!' This call for Me has
put Me in her debt, and that indebtedness is gradually increasing in
My heart!" This clearly establishes the highest platform of Draupadi’s
devotion to Krishna.

In Prahlada Maharaja’s example as well, we can find instances of his
praying for the shelter and protection of Lord Nrsimhadeva.

“Now kindly take me under the protection of Your lotus feet.” [SB
7.9.22]

“When will that moment come when You will call me to the shelter of
Your lotus feet, which are the ultimate goal for liberation from
conditional life?” [SB 7.9.16]

Therefore, calling out to the Lord (in a prayerful mood) for receiving
protection and having internal conviction about the Lord’s protection
go hand in hand. Thus, we can understand that both Prahlada Maharaja
and Draupadi have full confidence in Krishna’s protection and
therefore both of them are equally glorious in their mood of
surrender.

*************************
Previous questions and answers are available with subject
classification at http://www.romapadaswami.com/inquiries
Digests 1-242 are included as a PDF file at:
http://www.romapadaswami.com/Inquiries/IITA_full.pdf
Lectures: http://www.romapadaswami.com/audio
Brief biography of His Holiness Romapada Swami:
http://www.romapadaswami.com/HHRPS_bio

To (un)subscribe please email inqu...@romapadaswami.com with the
word (un) subscribe in the subject.