ID suddenly stopped working

Garet Holcomb

May 7, 2024, 7:59:31 AMMay 7
to Input Director
I use it to control a Win11 Surface Pro.  Used it last night, controlling it as a client from my MSI laptop, no problem.  This morning at work, suddenly it's completely dead and will not respond to my main work machine as a client.

Update, reinstall, nothing.  ID will detect the client as a candidate but it won't respond ever.

At my wit's end.

Shane

May 8, 2024, 11:58:00 PMMay 8
to Input Director
Hi Garet,

It sounds like a network issue or a 3rd party security product on one of the computers is blocking Input Director. Try re-install ID on both computers (the installer creates the Windows firewall rules that ID needs). An active VPN can also block local traffic. I also suggest running through the steps outlined here

Regs,

Shane.

Garet Holcomb

May 10, 2024, 8:22:41 AMMay 10
to Input Director
Now a second computer stopped working.  It was fine yesterday.

I did a full uninstall/reinstall of ID on all machines.  I even replaced the GigE hub they're all wired to.  Turned off WiFi on the clients, set the preferred network interface as suggested.  No active VPNs anywhere.

ID will see the machine listed when scanning for new systems, but the machine never responds and I don't get a popup asking for permission.  Manually adding the main machine to control the client doesn't help either.

There's one Win11 machine that connects reliably (so far), but the other two are dead.

This is really disappointing.

Garet Holcomb

May 10, 2024, 8:37:35 AMMay 10
to Input Director
Out of curiosity I tried controlling my main machine with the problem laptop (going the other way), and it does so with no issue whatsoever.  I also tried to control the problem computer with another machine that's usually a client on the same network.  Doesn't work.

These two machines simply refuse to respond to ID as clients.  I used it for hours yesterday using it with no problem.  Today, nothing.