Undefined keyboard scancodes that Input Director blocks

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 2, 2024, 2:19:36 PMApr 2
to Input Director
Hi Shane,

I found a solution to my previous issue of AutoHotKey not being able to process keys before Input Director. However, I noticed that there are at least 14 scancodes which are seen by by Input Director as Code FF (clearly Code XX refers to Virtual Key code XX)...
Dec Hex
85 55
96 60
97 61
112 70
114 72
116 74
117 75
119 77
120 78
121 79
122 7A
125 7D
127 7F
128 80

They aren't forwarded to any other computers, and can't be bound. I admit to being thoroughly mystified by the conflicting information I've found on the web about scancodes. The source that mostly aligns with what I'm seeing is here

Virtual Key codes make more sense, being pretty thoroughly documented by Microsoft. Apparently, despite there being far more Virtual Key codes than scancodes, and most scancodes have corresponding VKs, some don't, like the ones I listed

Is that why those scancodes don't work with ID, because it only works with Virtual Keys?

Thanks,
   BJ

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 2, 2024, 2:24:55 PMApr 2
to Input Director
I should have mentioned that all the codes I listed are of course "undefined," "reserved," "undocumented" or whatever.  Since all I want them for is to send communications of a sort between computers via keyboard input, that doesn't bother me, if they don't cause strange issues

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 2, 2024, 3:52:44 PMApr 2
to Input Director
Yet another update. It seems my first message was somewhat premature. The previous method I was using to remap physical keys to different ones could only send scancodes, and apparently does it differently than AutoHotKey's SendEvent method. In the latter case, ID doesn't show a key in the new Binding dialog when Code FF scancodes are sent, yet the keys are transmitted to other computers

So, I guess this thread kinda resolved itself, no input needed... unless you want to comment ;)

Thanks again,
   BJ