Director's main display become inaccessible

V@no

Jun 23, 2022, 9:32:18 PM6/23/22
to Input Director
I have the following setup:
InputDirector_display_setup.png
I'm unable access Director #1 (D1) monitor, because cursor jumps to the client when moved through left side of D2 monitor. And from client it jumps back to D2.
If D1 and D2 are swapped, then it works as it should, except, when cursor moved to right side of C2 (Client #2) it jumps to the monitor under D3 (regardless of D1 and D2 are swapped or not). Before last update (or update before) it only allowed switching between director and client via "touching" monitors.

ID 2.1.1
Windows 10 x64 (21H2)

InputDirector_windows_displays.png

Shane

Jun 26, 2022, 10:33:53 PM6/26/22
to Input Director
Hi,

I've sent an email to you about this issue.

Thanks,

Shane.

Redline Joes

Aug 27, 2022, 7:37:20 PM8/27/22
to Input Director
I would also like information on this bug.

I have been experiencing the same issue. The primary display becomes unreachable when using more than one display on the Master with the mouse. There are some workarounds I found.

The workaround solution to resolve the issue entirely is to do the following:
On the Master, go to Client Systems > Directory Monitor Setup, then click the radio button "Let Input Director infer which connected monitor is represented by which monitor icon.  (Recommended)"

That resolves the bug entirely.  However, this is not how Input Director used to work. I'm concerned that Input Director will not be able to adequately infer monitor configuration on a more complicated setup, as in the case with user "V@no".  I have no evidence of this suspicion because I have a pretty simple setup.

The other workarounds I mention are related to getting the mouse back on the primary display of the Master after you lose it. If you can use ALT+TAB to select a window on the Master primary display, you can then use ALT+SPACE, press "M" on the keyboard for MOVE, and press the keyboard arrow keys in any direction to take control of the windows by keyboard. After that keyboard arrow key is pressed, you can move the mouse, and it shows up on the Master primary display again. Until it doesn't, and the bug comes back.

Until the bug is resolved, the only way to solve the issue is to enable "Let Input Director infer which connected monitor is represented by which monitor icon.  (Recommended)". The bug is a show stopper, and I had to stop using Input Director until I could solve this myself.

Shane

Sep 5, 2022, 7:23:17 PM9/5/22
to Input Director
Hi,

When I added the ability to explicitly use Windows monitor numbers I was under the misapprehension that the monitor identifier numbers I can access via Windows APIs were the same as those displayed when a user clicked the Identify button in the Windows monitor layout setup. I've since found out that that isn't the case, and after doing some digging discovered that Microsoft doesn't provide a mechanism for applications to retrieve those particular identification numbers. I think this is an oversight on their part.

The original intention behind enabling users to use the Windows monitor numbers was back when Input Director laid monitors out on a grid, which for some folks could be quite different to their physical monitor layout and  sizes. Since v2.1, monitors can be laid out arbitrarily and represent different sizes and the default monitor infer mapping has been working very well. In a future version I'll either be retiring the explicit monitor numbers option, or see if I can find an alternative.

Thanks,

Shane.