Please Help with Mouse Lag -- there's a mildly Spooky part, reader beware :)

Sam

Oct 28, 2022, 5:30:23 AM10/28/22
to Input Director
I have 3 computers: Director (LAN-connected), a Slave PC (LAN-connected) laptop (Wireless connected)

I was using my Laptop with Input Director without issues.  The slave PC was not part of the picture. One day, without changing any settings, I started experiencing incredibly high amounts of Mouse Lag with my Laptop.  It was odd, because there would be no Keyboard lag -- that was still instant.

I did research and I saw the last 50 posts about this issue. And I combed through all of them and tried every step I could find:
1) Checking on and off "Use Reliable Communications" -- this did nothing for me
2) Checking on and off Cached IP address - nada
3)  changing Network and Data Send Frequency -- this helped a little but it was weird, the best numbers were like ~100MHz.  Too low or too high would increase lag
4) Changing Mouse Polling Frequency -- this helped a ton, but only if I went to like ULTRA low levels would it make any difference
5) Connected my Laptop via Ethernet/LAN and turned off Wireless Signal

I assumed my goose was cooked and gave up.  I relegated myself to using another Slave PC with Input Director via LAN, and it worked just fine. I figured maybe my laptop was old or something, haunted from browser toolbar uninstalls my kids had accidentally downloaded.

Now for the spooky part ). I eventually surrendered to using my Slave PC instead of my Laptop (my first choice).  A week passed.  One day, the same mouse lag from my Laptop appeared on my Slave PC!

I went back to my Laptop and things work PERFECTLY.  On Wireless! It's absolutely bonkers.

Do you think thats spooky?  Here's something even spookier:  If I leave the Slave PC on the "Systems that can be directed from this computer" but skip it, no mouse lag happens on my Laptop. If I delete the Slave PC entirely from the list of PCs and go back to my original setup (with just the director and my Laptop), the mouse lag reappears.   Yes, you are reading this correctly: When I re-add my Slave PC and skip the Slave PC, my mouse lag disappears on my Laptop PC.

I am beyond confused

Thank you so much for reading my ramblings