One-way hotkey issue

Mauricio Cardona

Jun 5, 2022, 8:00:27 PM6/5/22
to Input Director
I love this software, just cannot work out how to fix this last issue.

I use my mouse to switch between my director and a client as I don't always have a hand on the keyboard. I recently switched to a mouse with no button under scroll wheel which is what I used to bind to PgDown in the mouse software to simulate that key.

I now use a software called X-Mouse Button Control. It basically allows me to use different combination of buttons to simulate different hotkeys.

The software interprets the mouse button pressed and will simulate the hotkey you configure it to.

My issue: I am able to switch to my client with no issues. However, I am unable to return back to the director as I assume Input Director is feeding all of my mouse button clicks to the client and therefore no longer letting my 3rd party software interpret my mouse buttons to then be able to translate into a hotkey.

I have tried many different configurations of settings but cannot find a way to get beyond this issue.

-----
If anyone can give insight into possible solutions, I will try anything.

Shane

Jun 5, 2022, 8:11:24 PM6/5/22
to Input Director
Hi,

There may not be a workaround for this.

If you haven't changed it yet, try enabling this option:
1. Open Input Director on your director system
2. Switch to the "Director Preferences" tab
3. Scroll all the way down to the Advanced options
4. Enable the option "Allow synthesised input"

Regs,

Shane.

Mauricio Cardona

Jun 6, 2022, 12:21:08 AM6/6/22
to Input Director

Ah I see, it seems that option is the one allowing my 3rd party software to simulate the hotkey, therefore allowing me to control the client but still not able to return.

I thought I was on the brink of finding a solution by setting up a keybind on the client to send the return hotkey to my director but it looks like the client knows that the key pressed was not from an actual device connected to the client.

Thinking about it now, it would be resolvable if input director was able to pick up Mouse button 4 & 5 as hotkeys but it seems it is limited to hotkeys for now.

02c...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2022, 3:51:57 PM6/6/22
to Input Director
Just a thought on this one. Make sure X-Mouse Button is installed on each client, not just the director system. Then make sure the same button sequence is setup on the client. This might solve your problem.
Clifton

Mauricio Cardona

Jun 6, 2022, 5:32:42 PM6/6/22
to Input Director
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I had already tried this. My mouse buttons are detected on the client PC and the hotkeys do activate but they do not activate anything for Input Director which is a little strange.

This simply means that the director is the one that needs to intercept the return hotkey and instead of sending that hotkey to the client, it will read that hotkey and activate the function to return control.