System failed to respond / no systems detected

Nick Dusher

Apr 5, 2024, 5:42:16 AMApr 5
to Input Director
Hello, I have been using Input Director on and off for 3 years now, and just recently I have run into the problem where it does not seem to be detecting my computers.

I run a desktop as my main, and 2 laptops as the controlled computers.
All 3 systems are updated to 2.2, all 3 are enabled, all 3 have firewalls completely disabled.
When I scan for systems, it just does not detect them.  No matter what system I run the scan off.  I recently did a fresh install on all 3, and that did not fix anything.

They are all reading from the same port.  All connected to the same router.

I cannot figure out what the issue is.  Sometimes if I restart everything, computers, modem and router.  They will work for 15mins to an hour before eventually just going back to not being detected.

Has anyone seen a similar issue, or know of any trouble shooting I can attempt to do in order to fix this?

Shane

Apr 5, 2024, 5:42:59 AMApr 5
to Input Director

Hi,

Are you using IP addresses or host names in the Input Director configuration?

Regs,

Shane.

Nick Dusher

Apr 5, 2024, 10:22:56 AMApr 5
to Input Director
Ive been using hostnames.

Scott Copus

Apr 5, 2024, 12:50:43 PMApr 5
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Nick: At the time it stops working, are the hostnames resolving for each other?  i.e. Command Prompt: nslookup mylaptop1   Or try ping mylaptop1 ... but this only works if the other systems' firewalls have ICMP pings ("Core Networking Diagnostics - ICMP Echo Request") enabled or temporarily disable the firewall.

Shane: Does ID use cached DNS queries, or does it re-resolve hostnames-to-IPs periodically, or when it loses connections?

thanks,
Scott

Nick Dusher

Apr 5, 2024, 1:48:55 PMApr 5
to Input Director
The firewalls on all the computers are completely disabled.
The pings return Reply from xxx.xxx.x.xx Destination host unreachable

Another piece of information, when i reset my modem and router, all 3 computers work fine for anywhere between 15 mins to 1 hour.  Then something happens and they become unresponsive.

Scott Copus

Apr 5, 2024, 2:33:10 PMApr 5
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nick,

Do you get replies when you ping using their IPs instead?  If that works,then keep the ping going (using -t switch) for several hours and see if they keep getting replies or drop off and start getting things like "response timed out" or "destination host unreachable".  Then report back.

C:\>ping -t 192.168.1.254

Pinging 192.168.1.254 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

BTW, what kind of IPs are on your LAN's devices?  192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 10.x.y.z?  What are all of your devices' LAN IPs?

--
thanks,
Scott

Nick Dusher

Apr 5, 2024, 2:39:26 PMApr 5
to Input Director
When i ping the ip, i get a reply from a different ip that says destination not reachable.

my ips are 192.168.1.xxx
im not sure what you mean by LAN IPs, they are all connected to the same router

To make things more confusing, i just reinstalled, and restarted the computers, and now the 2 laptops will connect and detect each other, but now the main computer is not showing up, nor able to detect the 2 laptops.