Failed to install Input Director's Windows Service

Robert Doyle

Aug 7, 2016, 2:43:24 AM8/7/16
to Input Director
Hello -

I'm trying to install ID 1.4 on a Windows 7 machine, which previous had version 1.3 installed, and worked flawlessly.

I have started to upgrade to Windows 10 and decided to update to v1.4.  When installing build 110 of v1.4, I get the following message:  "failed to install Input Director's Windows service."  That's it, no other message.  I did also see once that I got a "unable to write IDWinService.exe" message, though I can't find this in the Nullsoft window anymore.

Anyone else have this issue?  I have no idea where to go from here..  Many thanks

-Rob

Shane

Aug 7, 2016, 2:52:27 AM8/7/16
to Input Director
Hi Rob,

Couple of things to try:

1. Run the existing Input Director uninstaller and do a full uninstall. if it asks to reboot, do so before moving to the next step.
2. Run the new v1.4 installer

If that didn't help, then it's possible that the vcredist (these are the latest Microsoft Libraries) didn't install properly. This would stop the Input Director windows service from installing (and showing you that message).

3. Use Windows Explorer to navigate to the Input Director install location (it's usually either c:\Program Files\Input Director or for 64bit Windows c:\Program Files (x86)\Input Director
4. Double-click on the vcredist file - you may need to right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"

Try running Input Director again. Let me know how it goes.

Regs,

Shane.

Ken

Aug 30, 2016, 9:47:39 AM8/30/16
to Input Director
I came across this when installing 1.4 on a Windows 7 box. I needed to install the update for the universal C installer, before ID would continue. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2999226) After that microsoft update, ID1.4 installed without issue.

-Ken

Robert Doyle

Sep 10, 2016, 1:00:21 PM9/10/16
to Input Director
Thanks guys - this looks like it is working!  Fantastic!

Paul Eckhardt

Sep 27, 2016, 7:40:09 AM9/27/16
to Input Director
Did you manage to get one of these installers to work on windows 10? I tried with the 8.1 installer and it didn't work.

Jack Konrath

Feb 15, 2020, 6:12:19 PM2/15/20
to Input Director
The update for Windows 7 x86 universal C installer has apparently been removed. Clicking on your link, Ken, now returns a "404" error - probably as another Microsoft inducement to abandon Windows 7 and move to Windows 10. Seemed logical that one could simply install the latest version of Visual C++ Redistributable. Attempting to do so resulted in the installation getting stuck at "Windows7_MSU_X64". Another search turned up a solution by Diljeet (Thanks!) who discovered that temporarily disabling the Windows Update service allows the Visual C++ Redistributable installation to finish. Once it does, the Input Director 1.4.30 installer completes without a hitch.

-Jack

Thomas Donino

Feb 15, 2020, 6:22:49 PM2/15/20
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 last month I believe

Sent from my iPhone

Jack Konrath

Feb 17, 2020, 11:14:11 PM2/17/20
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Of course. This was meant to inform a workaround for those of us who don't completely live by Microsoft's calendar.

--
Jack Konrath