Multiple shared monitors

The Pfaffinator

Aug 11, 2022, 7:06:04 PM8/11/22
to Input Director
First off, I love Input Director, and I've been using it for years. I'm very thankful for the updated interface and it is a much better program than anything else that offers similar functionality.

I find myself stumped a bit now, because I have a bit of a weird setup, and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make it work just using ID. I have three monitors, a desktop, and laptop. Both PCs are connected to all three monitors using the different inputs (using a dock for the laptop).

Director.png
#1 on the Client at the bottom is the laptop itself. The other three are the same physical monitors, in the same configuration (3D=4C, 1D=2C, and 2D=3C). I am currently able to switch between them with a hotkey, but then I still have to manually press the input button on each monitor to switch them over from DP to HDMI.

I'm trying to see if there is a way to overlap the monitors in the config so that they are shared between the different PCs on different inputs. I know all my monitors support DDC/CI, and I can control the inputs with a script, but I didn't know if that functionality is part of Input Director yet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Aug 18, 2022, 9:06:07 AM8/18/22
to Input Director
Hi,

Input Director doesn't support shared monitors right now. This is a feature I'm looking to add in a future version.

Thanks,

Shane.

Jolly

Aug 18, 2022, 5:11:44 PM8/18/22
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Any thoughts on adding an alias function?
Synergy/barrier let you have multiple names/ips for a computer/(monitor).
Ie computera, computerb, computerc, and it will connect to whichever one is available first.

The hacky work around in the meantime is if you can use Windows event log or another way of triggering a script, it can check which configuration should be applied, then kill input director, restore the registry keys with the settings, and then restart input director.

I've used that method in the past, when frequently changing monitor configs. (Ie my desktop has one to three monitors attached at any given time)

Shane

Aug 27, 2022, 7:40:27 PM8/27/22
to Input Director
Hi,

I am looking at supporting multiple monitor/client configurations (basically everything under the “Client Systems” tab, which can either be switched manually or based on a trigger such as the director’s IP address. This feature is currently priority 1 for the next major release.

Regs,

Shane.

Andrew Pfaff

Sep 1, 2022, 1:08:52 PM9/1/22
to Input Director
I was able to cobble something together by using DDC/CI batch file commands to switch inputs on the monitors. I'm more than happy to help test this feature, if there is a new Beta coming soon.

Scott Copus

Sep 17, 2022, 10:50:32 AM9/17/22
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Andrew, curious what you’re using to send the DDC/CI commands.

--
thanks,
Scott