Input director getting access violation error after innocuous registry tweaks.

Pizzanomicon

Jun 28, 2022, 7:08:45 PM6/28/22
to Input Director
So, I've used ID in the past with no issue. I'm currently using win 11 and I had made very very innocuous registry tweaks ( system responsiveness, tcpip settings, disable nats algorithm,) nothing that impacts ANY software I've ever ran in my 20 + years of using a windows based pc.

So, I can't get ID to start on this pretty fresh install system, so I'm like whatever, I have everything backed up, I'll just fresh install again, and boom it works. It's working fine and I decide to do the very.... innocuous registry changes I always do, and .... ID doesn't work anymore. Crash dump says it's a access violation error ....lol ? Literally no other program I run has this issue, and has never had an issue, except ID.

I even restored my registry, uninstalled, checked the reg for leftovers, and it STILL WON'T START. Like..... seriously ?

Shane

Jun 28, 2022, 7:16:59 PM6/28/22
to Input Director
Hi,

I'm keen to track this down and will email you about this.

Regs,

Shane.

Pizzanomicon

Jun 30, 2022, 9:14:16 PM6/30/22
to Input Director
Also, something I noticed is the ID helper exe seems to flash in/out of processes, like it just repeatedly starts and crashes I'm guessing. Not entirely sure, but I would have to  terminate the ID window service ( 32 bit.) and as of right now session helper is starting and stopping repeatedly, until I terminate the former.

Pizzanomicon

Jul 4, 2022, 8:31:59 AM7/4/22
to Input Director
I have solved the problem after much trial and error.

For whatever reason, if I change my pc's name to a foreign language character name ( in my case it was JP characters,) Input director will get errors and not start. I did not receive crash dumps this time, but I received an error message that it couldn't connect when the program starts.

I changed my PC name to English characters and restarted and low and behold, Input Director works.

Weird.

Shane

Jul 7, 2022, 5:48:40 AM7/7/22
to Input Director
Hi,

There will be a fix in the next release to address this.

Thanks,

Shane.

Pizzanomicon

Jul 7, 2022, 8:56:33 PM7/7/22
to Input Director
Also just so you know. I did a lot of the same reg tweaks as before and even more and they did not kick back any ID errors. Glad to be of help.

Thanks again