Detection if input is going to master/slave/which slave?

Jolly

Feb 28, 2023, 3:39:55 PM2/28/23
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
is there a way for me to programmatically detect this from another program, script, api call, etc? Autohotkey, or something similar?

My Goal I use a streamdeck, which is very handy.
I would love for this stream deck to be able to tell if I"m using the host or the guest, or which guest So that way I could run a script accordingly.

(like I have a script that will automatically find my slack window, and launch it if it's not already running, but if I can detect which screen I'm on, I can then have it run in my guest if I'm in the guest or host if I'm on the host)

-Jolly

Jolly

Mar 17, 2023, 9:04:56 PM3/17/23
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I see that ID macro's let us define a macro's target, but I'm Trying to figure out a way to access that same sort of information from outside of input director itself, IE an auto hotkey script or a batch file or something.

Any ideas?
-Jolly
"
  • Unassigned - The macro is disabled and has no target.
  • System with Input Focus - Whichever system has the (mouse/keyboard) input will be the one that the macro is played to.
  • Director - No matter which system has the input, the macro will be played on the Director system.
  • Client with Input Focus - If the system being controlled is a client system then the macro will be played on it. If the Director system has the input then the macro isn't played.
  • All Client - The macro is played to all available client systems
  • All Systems - The macro is played to all available client systems and the Director system
  • All but System w/ Input Focus - The macro is played to all available client and the Director except for the system that currently has the input focus
  • System: clientname - The macro is bound to a particular client. No matter which system has the input, the macro is played to that specific client.
"

Jolly

Mar 22, 2023, 2:00:44 PM3/22/23
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
Or is it possible that ID's macro's can output the name of the device it's sending the input to?

Shane

Mar 23, 2023, 6:35:55 AM3/23/23
to Input Director
Hi,

Not at this stage. A few years ago I did raise the idea of providing hooks that could be used to trigger other programs / scripts when particular events occurred (such as transitioning control), but didn't get any real interest so never implemented it.

Regs,

Shane.

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 2, 2024, 7:06:14 PMApr 2
to Input Director
Is there anything new on this topic? In particular, a way to determine from a script or program (you probably guessed, AutoHotKey) which system currently has focus in the ID network

Currently, I'm sending a special key, and whichever client receives it sends a network message back to the script host identifying itself. It works, but is a little cumbersome. I tried to get the details from ID's information window, but Narrator couldn't find anything to read in the window either, so I didn't try too hard

Scott Copus

Apr 2, 2024, 9:18:28 PMApr 2
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
BJ,

Check out this WinLister tool; it may help. This guy has TONS of other useful tools too.

cheers,
Scott

thanks,
Scott

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 3, 2024, 1:37:09 PMApr 3
to Input Director
Thanks for the suggestion, Scott, but I found nothing in any of Nir's tools (which I've used for many years,) of help

If you can find something specific to my goal, please let me know

Thanks,
    BJ

Shane

Apr 4, 2024, 3:34:16 AMApr 4
to Input Director
Hi,

The next Input Director version (v2.3) has a new command line tool that can be used to query Input Director’s state, switch to mirror mode, return the cursor to the Director, send a sequence of keystrokes to another computer, et. al.

I’ll be posting here in a few weeks, looking for help with early testing of this feature and the new profiles. It’d be great if you can get involved.

Thanks,

Shane.

Aviad Raviv

Apr 4, 2024, 4:26:39 AMApr 4
to Input Director

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 4, 2024, 10:10:19 AMApr 4
to Input Director
Please consider me involved

On Thursday, April 4, 2024 at 12:34:16 AM UTC-7 Shane wrote:
Hi,

Jolly

Apr 4, 2024, 11:43:00 AMApr 4
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd move back to ID to test this!

If there's any way to have ID log to a file when it changes between computers (either on each change or just which computer it's currently on) that would be great.

Mirror mode: does this or profiles allow switching which computer is the master and which is the guest?

I've recently switched to using mouse without borders and a hardware USB switch. This has helped with the occasional lag I get with ID and mouse without borders, and sends input in both directions.

BJ Hoffstadt

Apr 4, 2024, 7:52:36 PMApr 4
to Input Director
I thought I'd add that if an API was available that could be setup to do a callback on certain events, that would be much less overhead than a task which would need to be spammed at some rate in order to detect changes